The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you smoke?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but I want to quit.

14 15.73%
  • Yes, but I don't want to quit.

3 3.37%
  • No and never will.

55 61.80%
  • No, but I used to [Please Explain].

16 17.98%
  • Other [Please Explain]

1 1.12%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you smoke?

Nevermind, I apparently was accidently being snotty and judgmental.

Sorry!
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Get over it.... not your call
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

Could care less as long as they don't smoke in the barn or throw butts on the ground. Trainers shouldn't smoke while teaching, but other than that I could care less.

Substitute "Fat" for smoking in your post, and you'll see just how snotty it comes across.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    . . .

Substitute "Fat" for smoking in your post, and you'll see just how snotty it comes across.
    Exactly.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

I didn't mean for it to be snotty, I am sorry.

I don't understand though, smoking is a choice isn't it?

!! is the new .

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    I didn't mean for it to be snotty, I am sorry.

I don't understand though, smoking is a choice isn't it?
    Oh, good Lord.

It's an ADDICTION not a "choice". If it were simply a choice, why on EARTH would people need patches and nicotine gum and shrinks and hypnotists?

People may choose to start, but after that -- GAME OVER. Yer hooked. It's no different from being addicted to any other drug.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.

My naivety shows doesn't it?

Really not trying to start trouble, only asking questions.

Sorry again.

!! is the new .

I'm sorry, but smoking is a choice. You chose to start it in the first place and you choose to continue this dirty habit when there are ways to help you stop if you are truly addicted.

Smoking gets on my nerves terribly around the horses, as far as i am concerned there should be no smoking even on the premises at any barn or show facility, indoors or out. What really gets me are people who are darned helmet nazis that give you the arguement about well even if you don't care about yourself what about when you are on public assistance or a bruden on the health care system because of your severe injuries blah blah blah and then proceed to light up and put them on the fast track to severe diseases they probably won't be able to personally afford AND poison me with there second hand smoke at the same time!

I automatically detest anyone who smokes and they have to do a lot to redeem that huge flaw before I have any respect for them. If you are a smoker you have no defnese for it, you have a solution; quit smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    My naivety shows doesn't it?
    Just a wee tad.

Really not trying to start trouble, only asking questions.

Sorry again.
    It's hard to find anyone in this day and age who does not know that smoking is an addiction.

Seriously.

Try going out on the web and research smoking addiction. It's very enlightening.

Eileen

PS
    And yes, I smoke. I hate it. If it were a choice, I would just quit. I wish it WAS a simply, bloody choice. Sigh.
    Mad Mare™ Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    I'm sorry, but smoking is a choice. You chose to start it in the first place and you choose to continue this dirty habit when there are ways to help you stop if you are truly addicted.

. . .
    Joy. A holier than thou attitude.

Not even going to debate this.

I'm outta here.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio

My goodness, Renae, you must think you are absolutely perfect; except you need to work on your spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I sure as hell hope you are perfect... yup.. I think I know you... tall, thin (but not too thin ) pretty, good hair and skin, soft spoken and kind...yes above all else kind

Quote Originally Posted by PL View Post
    My goodness, Renae, you must think you are absolutely perfect; except you need to work on your spelling.
    Oops... not perfect after all

Quote Originally Posted by PL View Post
    Far from it, but as a child who was tortured through her whole childhood by one of her parent's dirty habit I absolutley hate smoking, and I hate smokers that make no effort to quit smoking and openly smoke in public and around children (wether in public of private), spreading their poison to all of us who want absoltely nothing to do with it and find it repulsive. Unfortunatly until smoking is illegal I have to put up with your disgusting habit. I will finally be free to go wherever I want a breathe easy when that day finally comes. Until than I do not enter establishment that allow smoking and I avoid outdoor areas where smoker congregate, and I am not the only non-smoker who feels this way and does this.

Smokers and their problems cost the American taxpayer $1.5 BILLION in Medicaid costs annually.

To keep this horse related. . .. . and the horse you rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    To keep this horse related. . .. . and the horse you rode in on.

Far from it, but as a child who was tortured through her whole childhood by one of her parent's dirty habit I absolutely hate smoking, and I hate smokers that make no effort to quit smoking and openly smoke in public and around children (whether in public of private), spreading their poison to all of us who want absolutely nothing to do with it and find it repulsive. Unfortunately until smoking is illegal I have to put up with your disgusting habit. I will finally be free to go wherever I want a breathe easy when that day finally comes. Until than I do not enter establishment that allow smoking and I avoid outdoor areas where smoker congregate, and I am not the only non-smoker who feels this way and does this.
    Renae I hate smoking too. It makes me physically ill to smell it. But I have two brothers who became addicted. Despite the fact that our father is a physician who regularly told us about all the hazards of smoking, they both became hooked. One has quit but is was supremely difficult. Still, I won't let anyone smoke around me. Why should you pollute my air? So I guess my sympathy goes only so far. It's not as simple as "it's a choice " though. I've read that Nicotine is almost as hard as Heroin to quit.

ETA: To keep it horse related, it makes me supremely nervous when there's a smoker in the barn. We had this horrible woman at my old barn who would flick her cigarettes all the time. She once was on trail with another boarder, flicked her cigarette behind her and got the other rider in the face. She was so irresponsible with her smoking. So yeah, I like being at a smoke free barn.

Default WOW!

Far from it, but as a child who was tortured through her whole childhood by one of her parent's dirty habit I absolutley hate smoking, and I hate smokers that make no effort to quit smoking and openly smoke in public and around children (wether in public of private), spreading their poison to all of us who want absoltely nothing to do with it and find it repulsive. Unfortunatly until smoking is illegal I have to put up with your disgusting habit. I will finally be free to go wherever I want a breathe easy when that day finally comes. Until than I do not enter establishment that allow smoking and I avoid outdoor areas where smoker congregate, and I am not the only non-smoker who feels this way and does this.

Smokers and their problems cost the American taxpayer $1.5 BILLION in Medicaid costs annually.
    Having been both a smoker and non-smoker, I think I have a more balanced point of view. It IS an addiction and if it were a choice there would be almost no smokers.

Renae, you should read your own post again. You apparently have unresolved issues with your childhood and parent/s. Your hatred of smokers is about way more than smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinston View Post
    Renae, you should read your own post again. You apparently have unresolved issues with your childhood and parent/s. Your hatred of smokers is about way more than smoking.
    Wether it is or not I have "issues", which is none of your business, anyone who chooses has the right to breathe tobacco-smoke free air. That trumps the smoker's right to smoke, as the non-smoker is not the one endangering themselves and those around them.

And to the OP never feel bullied to feel like you have to accept smoking in your presence in your daily life, as some have bullied you to back down from your thoughts here.

People who smoke have issues of their own that stem back to why they started smoking in the first place, issues dealing with personal control vs. being controlled by others (parents, "the authority"), issues with dealing with peer pressure, etc.

I don't feel bullied, just a little silly for posting in the first place.

I've never had anyone not respect my wishes when asked not to smoke around me. I have always held the opinion that everyone is free to make their own choices, just sometimes people's choices confound me.

!! is the new .

I also think I have a right to clean, safe air. Therefore I HATE and think anyone who drives a car or uses electricity is a dirty, nasty person and I wont have anything to do with them!!!! They are immoral and weak and torture children