The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What are baby pads?

I see this mentioned in many threads and I am curious as to what these are? Are they the little thin cheap saddle pads?

Yeah, they are the extremely thin saddle pads usually with a diamond or square quilting pattern. They are inexpensive and easily monogrammed, and most use them in accompaniment with a half-pad or other type of padding to keep the "special padding" clean. They extend the life of sheepskin products (and other materials of therapeutic pads) because the sheepskin pad will not get as dirty and will not need to be washed as much.

what make x it x so said. I use mine for schooling and lessons all the time with a half pad. The ones I have are long so you fold back the front part a little and put the half pad on top. some are like regular pads but thinner i guess. The ones I have don't have any loops for the girth or trim down the center or anything. They are great because they're really easy to wash and you can throw them in the dryer too because they don't have any shape to them. I love the Beval ones.

Weighaton ---

Thanks for posting! I too had been wondering and thought that was all that they looked like, thin quilted pads and have been wondering if there was any difference.

I'll be able to sleep at night now. . .

I too have wondered why the term "baby." Seems like "under pads" is a better description. Maybe people are uncomfortable with a term that sounds a lot like "underpants."

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    I too have wondered why the term "baby." Seems like "under pads" is a better description. Maybe people are uncomfortable with a term that sounds a lot like "underpants."
    Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    They're called "baby pads" because when people first started to use them under sheepskin pads etc. they just used crib pads; they weren't manufactured specifically for horses.

HunterGirl87 Guest

Smile

I personally am not a fan of Baby Pads. They are so thin that sweat just soaks through completely. If you want cheap pads for schooling I would suggest buying simple square pad(s) and then saving the nicer fleece pads for the show ring. FarmVet.com has both kinds if you'd like to look over them.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGirl87 View Post
    I personally am not a fan of Baby Pads. They are so thin that sweat just soaks through completely. If you want cheap pads for schooling I would suggest buying simple square pad(s) and then saving the nicer fleece pads for the show ring. FarmVet.com has both kinds if you'd like to look over them.
    Yes, but a regular square pad + a half pad is a lot of bulk.

I like a regular baby pad + my Beval pad to ride in.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!