The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If you have a locker in your tack room

How do you keep it organized? My barn offers lokers insted of having a tack box. I find my locker gets very disorganized. It is making me crazy! I think it does not help that I have 2 saddles in there, and my kids grab stuff out of it for me all the time. But I am in serious need of ideas on how to organize it! If anyone has pictures, I'd love that to!( I am a visual person,lol!) TIA! Amy

I don't have any photos, but we have lockers too. Most people use a shelf-unit on their locker doors like this one http://www.organizeit.com/imgwindow....r_otd6bask.jpg Do you have saddle and bridle racks in your locker? http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-f...wn-saddle-rack That makes a big difference too. And keeping brushes/hoofpicks/things you use every day in a tote really helps if you don't already do that, so you can bring the whole tote with you when you are grooming instead of hunting for each item you need. I have a zillion bits, so I use wall hooks for those to keep them organized. Of course, my locker is probably the least organized one in the barn, but I have about 10 horses worth of stuff in one locker

I use plastic bins and things like that. The clear ones work best because I can see what is in them.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I have one of these, minus the wheels, that just fits underneath my saddle.

http://www.organizeit.com/po4minichest.asp?cmpid=bzRate

We have one, which is pretty full. Ours are wood about 2.5' wide x 2'9" tall x 3' deep, with a saddle rack and wire mesh fronts. We have everything we need for "everyday" riding for both of us.

On the saddle rack - both saddles in covers. Pads normally live upside down on top of saddles, with thinline comfort half pad folded underneath. Bridle racks & hooks line the "walls" inside - 1 bridle rack each for my 3 bridles and DD's 2, along with several robe hooks for spare reins and other miscellaneous. Crops live along the top of these hooks. In the far back on the "floor" is a small bucket with shampoo and other things in bottles that I don't want to leak. Also in the back is a plastic shoebox with a lid that holds extra stirrup pads and rubber bands for DD, meds, clippers and other small things I want handy. In the front is another shoebox with gloves & hairnets. My grooming bucket sits in the front as well, which holds the brushes/curries/hoof picks I use daily. Hanging on the mesh are S-hooks which hold our helmets (head side out so they air out when sweaty), DD's half chaps and a wide assortment of bits. It is a bit crowded, but we make it work.

We also have 2 other (larger) lockers in the other tack room, which we use to store things we take to shows (buckets, fans, etc.), show only pads and off season blankets.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Default Mine is probably over organized...but it works

I put a couple of plywood shelves in mine. The top shelf is high so not very far from the top - i put wraps, ice boots, etc. up there. The next shelf sits right below where my saddle goes....I put my grooming tote on that directly under the saddle. The third shelf sits right below that and I put medical supplies, etc on there as well as my helmet. Then I have some trays on the floor which houses the taller stuff - fly spray, etc. I have hooks on the door to hang the bridle, lunge line, bits, etc. i also have a couple of little shelves on the door for incidentals. Saddle pads hang on the front of the door.

I don't have pics but just go to Lowe's or Walmart and spend a few minutes glancing through the closet/organizing section, you ought to get a lot of ideas.

I filled the inside of my door with hooks, shelves and bracket type things to hold shampoo, flyspray, leather conditioner, etc. Also a hook for my helmet. On the inside I've got several hangers for bridles, and of course a saddle rack.

I also picked up a small rubbermaid container. In it I put things I need at the barn, but don't necessarily used every day. That way they are there when I need them, but they are not out getting in the way or getting chewed up by mice.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

My locker is about 6' tall, 3' deep and 2'6" wide, with a top shelf and two wooden saddle brackets. Helmet, paddock boots, half chaps and splint boots go on the top shelf, along with a plastic bin for fly spray, hoof dressing, shampoo, etc. Saddle goes on top bracket, and lower bracket holds saddle pads and girths. Bridle hanger on top saddle bracket for bridle. On the floor I have a bucket with extra grooming cloths in it, a grooming tote with my brushes and other daily grooming items, and a pair of rubber boots I can slip into to get my horse on muddy days. There are hooks on the walls and door, so I have plenty of space to hang up stuff.

At first, because my locker was so big, I had crammed everything into it, but after having to rummage around to find what I needed, I took out everything except what I actually use. I rarely use my western saddle anymore, so that went home, and spare bridles and other gear are kept in a spare closet at home. If for some reason, I want to use something, it's easy to get to and toss in the car to take to the barn.

Thank you so much for the ideas! I talked to BO today and am going to move my locker to one that has 2 saddle racks in it. This should help! I am also going to try to get a shelf thing to put on the inside of the door! I can't wait to have it more organized!

Our lockers come with two bridle holders, a saddle rack, and two shelves. The shelves actually have three brackets and consist of three boards each that fit together. I separated mine and now have three shelves. The two board shelf above my saddle rack holds saddle pads, boot jack, and a few odds and ends. The one board shelf above that holds wraps, a pad and pencil, and a few other small items. The top shelf which I can't reach very well holds towels, antisweat sheet and other seldom used items. I found a small set of wire drawers at the Container store and keep that under the saddle rack. It has a shallow drawer for washcloths, small clippers, etc and a deep drawer for my was bucket, a couple of plastic tubs with ointments, scissors, tape, etc, and shampoo and other taller bottles. Items are visible and if I put damp sponges in the wire drawers, they dry. There is room on the floor for my wash bucket and the bucket where I store my regular grooming supplies. A box of tissues and my helmet sit on top of the wire drawers.

I also have a tack cupboard in the basement of my house and that is where I store all the extra, out of season stuff I'm not currently using. I think that is the key to keeping my locker at the barn tidy.