The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wondering about coaches and boarding in georgia

Posting for a friend, my friend is going to high school in Rome GA, and is looking for a place to board her horse and an event coach. She is willing to board farther away as long as she could have him in some kind of training board during the week and only ride 3-4 days a week.

any suggestions would be wonderful! PM me or post here!

Default Rome, GA

I take it that your friend is going to Darlington. There really are not that many eventing barns in the area if that is what you are looking for. I would recommend Southern Comfort Farm which is owned by Carolyn Wright if you want training board. It has an indoor which is nice in the winter. PM me if you want more details about the area. Tell her good luck at boarding school. It takes a bit of getting used to but it is a great experience. (I graduated class of '95).

I would also recommend Carolyn Wright and her farm. she has evented for over 25 years and also has great contacts with the eventing community in area III. This young rider will also be very close to the Atlanta area and within 4 hours of several events in GA and SC. Good Luck

I will also recommend Carolyn! She's amazing, and her indoor is great. Tons of turnout too. LOVELY place. If it was closer, I'd be there more often!

Just up the road; http://www.aleatherman-equestrian.com/ With Michael Pollard at Carl Bouckaert's old Farm. Beautiful training facility. I think they attended Darlington too.

http://www.inunisonfarm.com/
    Last edited by Equibrit; Jul. 20, 2009 at 03:13 PM.

Newnan is a great place to check out......I look forward to Nick coming to Newnan.

Carl Bouckaert's farm, Michael Pollard married his daughter, Braselton, Chateau Elan. Eventing and vineyard.

You have Carl Bouckaert and Don Panoz mixed up.
    Bouckaert used to live in Chatsworth (near Rome) until getting divorced and moving to Chattahoochee Hills, south of Atlanta. His daughter (Natalie)and hubby (Michael Pollard) run the event barn out of the site of the Beaulieu Horse Trials in Chatsworth.
    Don Panoz owns Chateau Elan and his daughter (Lisa) is married (not to M Pollard) and lives close to Winder.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Jul. 20, 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Nick Cwick IS moving to Newnan and will be there mid to late August. The farm is an absolutely lovely facility, and should suit your friend's needs quite well. Full training board is available.

PM me for more details and contact information, pics, etc.

I don't know how many of you are actually familiar with the Rome Ga area - but - it is an 80 mile (2 hr) trip one way to Newnan. I don't know about the OP's friend, but that is too much for a kid/horse at school.

If you go to this http://www.kellysolutions.com/ga/equ...archbyCity.asp website you will find a searcheable database of Georgia Dept of Ag licensed boarding stables and be able to search for those in Rome or Bartow County. Phone numbers and disciplines are also listed.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Jul. 20, 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Exclamation Wondering about coaches and boarding in georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Just up the road; http://www.aleatherman-equestrian.com/ With Michael Pollard at Carl Bouckaert's old Farm. Beautiful training facility. I think they attended Darlington too.

http://www.inunisonfarm.com/
    Hasn't Andrea Leatherman moved on and is now with Buck Davidson...not sure if its business or personal....?

North Dakota, Carolyn's place would be the best bet if your friend is in school, all the other places are great, but Newnan is WAY to far, as posted above and I'm not really sure that the Pollard's take boarders. She could go for lessons, but i'm pretty sure they only have their horses on the farm, it has not been a public boarding facility in the past. The area III young rider and adult rider reps are great resources for GA.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC DEUCE View Post
    Hasn't Andrea Leatherman moved on and is now with Buck Davidson...not sure if its business or personal....?
    June 18th 2009
    "The drive to Canada was long, but luckily I broke it up by going to train with Buck Davidson for the week before, a good 1/2 way point." http://www.aleatherman-equestrian.com/

Hey everyone! thanks so much for all the great info, i've forwarded her the link and the info that i go in PMs. she has started making phone calls, so we'll see what happens!

Ya, Rome and Newnan are not exactly close...and the route takes you right thru ATL...not exactly commuter friendly.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I don't know how many of you are actually familiar with the Rome Ga area - but - it is an 80 mile (2 hr) trip one way to Newnan. I don't know about the OP's friend, but that is too much for a kid/horse at school.

If you go to this http://www.kellysolutions.com/ga/equ...archbyCity.asp website you will find a searcheable database of Georgia Dept of Ag licensed boarding stables and be able to search for those in Rome or Bartow County. Phone numbers and disciplines are also listed.
    thank you equibrit. I am from California originally and wrote nice things about Nick on the thread that was devoted to that topic. That said, even I can use google maps to see the distance between Rome and Newnan. I find that level of self promotion tasteless.

Darlington is near HWY 27... you take that straight to Swamp Fox Farm where Nick Cwick is relocating in Newnan...SFF is just off 27 easy drive...miss Atlanta and yes..I have driven from SFF to Rome. Takes about 1hr and 20 mins. Many have commutes more than that......! I'm sure there are other barns closer to Darlington.....