The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What ALTERNATIVE dressage coat color would you consider?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black ONLY!

30 20.83%
  • Dark Brown

48 33.33%
  • Navy

92 63.89%
  • Grey

54 37.50%
  • subtle PINSTRIPE/PATTERN

56 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I wear navy because that's what suits both me and my horse best as a red head. It also means that I can use it in the show rings over here, which is especially useful. I don't like black as I think it's too harsh, and so navy is what I use in much the same way that I use brown tack instead of black tack.

Over here you get pink jackets in the dressage ring - the rider I can think of was riding a grey horse and it (actually!) looked really nice! Can't say that the judge marked her down either, I believe she placed (or perhaps even won!) in a field of thirty or so.

I'd also wear something nicely patterned (subtly, not a cheap and/or garish manner), or my green tweed jacket if I thought it worked for me or that horse. If you can pull it off and still look sophisticated (ie. horse is well prepared for the ring and you show an attention to detail) the colour of the jacket doesn't make much of a difference to the impression at all imho!

The rule book stipulates black boots; I always wanted to show in brown! I'm sure that will remain the same!

Quote Originally Posted by mobilehrs View Post
    The rule book stipulates black boots; I always wanted to show in brown! I'm sure that will remain the same!
    We shall ban together and force a rule change!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

The rule only stipulates black boots for 4th level and above. You can show in brown at the lower levels, if you like.

[FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][LEFT]The dress code for Training through Fourth Levels is a short riding coat of conservative
    color, with tie, choker or stock tie, white or light-colored breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur
    boots, a hunt cap or riding hat with a hard shell, derby or top hat. A cutaway coat (modified
    tailcoat) with short tails is permitted. Half chaps, gaiters and/or leggings are not allowed.
    Gloves of conservative color are recommended.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]Exception: Riders through First Level may
    wear half-chaps, gaiters or leggings in solid black or brown, without fringe, matching the color[/LEFT]
    of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Maresy and I have our first recognized shows coming up real soon. Our turnout is mostly traditional, except I wear tan breeches, her bridle is very dark brown with white padding, and her saddle pad is white with light blue and dark blue cording.

If things go well, this year and next, I'd love to switch over to a navy jacket for me; I am also a more-or-less redhead with reddish but pale skin and freckles, so I don't look great in black. I'd also love to have cream -- not yellow -- saddle pad for her as she is a palomino, and in a perfect world, our dressage saddle would be dark brown.

I can dream, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by HollysHobbies View Post
    Would you go out on a limb and wear an ALTERNATIVE jacket color into the recognized dressage ring? Yes

Under what circumstances?

Which is better/more breathable: new wool (what I have, seems very HOT!) or poly? How about those washable coats? I have a washable coat that is cooler than my light weight (LINED) wool coat.

How about alternative fits? A super short coat? Or the faux shad-bellies? (or are these reserved for the under 30 years old crowd? Those are kind of pricey anyway...) Whatever looks best without being pretentious.

I need a new dressage coat (if I can sell my old ones)...so I'm considering going out on a limb...then again, maybe not (don't want to be mocked/scorned)! Help me decide! I have 2 bay geldings (one blood bay, the other between medium and dark bay--depends on season--showing 2nd this year, maybe (in our dreams?) 3rd level next Spring?, 5'11" 130 lbs)! I'm leanin' towards a Pikeur black pinstripe if I can find one for under $200--the photo below is actually brown, and I don't have money for the off-white ensemble...need to stick with white as the backdrop!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
    Just this past weekend the local (mobile) tack shop had a drop dead gorgeous brown coat with lighter collar and pocket stripes made to enhance the rider by making them look svelte! If I didn't have a relatively new jacket I'd have bought it! Tack store owner even replaced jacket buttons with some BEAUTIFUL buttons - VERY sharp! (She said the buttons the jacket came with were tacky - and she was correct.) The brown looked very nice with her chestnut mare.
    Last edited by Valentina_32926; Jul. 21, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
    Sandy in Fla.

My red roan pinto looks absolutely ridiculous in white ... so I show him in brown, cream, and light blue right now. I have brown tack, including his show dressage bridle which has baby blue piping instead of white. I *want* that blue Pikeur earlier in this thread, you have no idea!

If/when he ever gets to 2nd level - I will consider switching to black/white, and use a black pad. But as long as he's only doing training/1st, I'll stick with my colors.

I need a new saddle - it's on the agenda for next year. If I can't afford/get brown, I'll have to rethink the color scheme. I also enjoy being "different" - so now that brown is getting so popular I can guarantee I'll probably only show brown one more year, though the baby blue with it still stands out. I have a horse that stands out already, might as well go all out! I especially like the eggplant and olive green jackets I've seen.

YEA VALENTINA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was MY store!!!!!!! I'm so glad you liked them! That's the coat I designed! Small world, huh?

I have a black Pikeur coat however last weekend I saw JJ Tate looking amazing in a grey coat and Silva Martin wearing a short black pin strip fitted coat (it looked like it was tailored so that the sides had no flaps. They both looked very nice.

You left dark green off the list. I really like dark green.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Medium gray with lavender or purple pinstripes, white breeches, medium gray boots, saddle, bridle, white pad with piping to match points.....

....is that allowed?

of course, I would have to win the lottery first...but still....I think it would be a cool look.
    That sounds stunning!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have a super dark chocolate hunt coat and it looks great with white on both my chestnuts, who both have white blazes and socks, but I wish I could find a nice dark brown dressage saddle and bridle as well.

Of course, I also wish I could find a nice dressage coat in the same dark chocolate that comes in a shorter waisted length without paying for custom.

I'm nt sure about pinstripes for me, I think they might be a little too busy looking on someone of my height challenged stature. They look stunning on the tall slim types though!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I ride in Navy which I don't feel is "alternative"...I have Pikeurs in both wool and washable and I would have to say the washable does feel cooler in the heat. My taste in normal clothes tends to be classic and I think this translates to liking to see only navy or black in the dressage arena.

Thanks JLR and TREV--I am looking at the washable one, so knowing it MIGHT be cooler is a big push!

Last edited by HollysHobbies; Jul. 23, 2009 at 04:43 PM.

TRE.-there are lots of coats in dark brown you can get off the rack-not custom!

Mobilehrs - yes - small world. Loved those jackets - if I hadn't just purchased a new one I'd have purchased one of yours!

Europeans have been riding in Navy for over 10 years (last time I was in Germany/Holland that was what MOST of them rode in - Navy and cream.
    Sandy in Fla.

Hope this works-this coat is dark brown with a subtle pattern.
    http://www.mobilehorsesupply.com/newsletter.htm

Hey Mobilehrs, I LOVE your custom stuff - the small changes that you make (love the custom stock ties) really make a difference. We're the group that bought the multiple drop nosebands in New Smyrna, btw . When I'm ready for a new jacket (winter) I'll make sure to give you a ring.

I will wear nontraditional colors as long as I'm confident I'll stand out for the right reasons. I don't want to look like a dork, but as long as the horse and I are prepared and confident I'm happy to wear something a little more eyecatching.

I have a dark grey show jacket I love it. Works on anything and it isn't navy or black! It makes me happy to finally be able to stray away from navy and black (especially navy, ugh, I hate navy jackets).

Mobilehrs - your store could be very dangerous.

Is there really a deep eggplant colored dressage riding jacket out there?

You don't go to any of the WPB shows in the winter do you?