The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What ALTERNATIVE dressage coat color would you consider?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black ONLY!

30 20.83%
  • Dark Brown

48 33.33%
  • Navy

92 63.89%
  • Grey

54 37.50%
  • subtle PINSTRIPE/PATTERN

56 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think they are fantastic, but I hope dressage stays about the riding. I know friends in the western world and its ALL ABOUT CLOTHES and the color of the headstall. Its a bit nuts.

I vote for classic colors, and I love the pinstriping! I think for me one of the things I love is the contrast "dark and light" and frankly if that's cream and chocolate brown I think it would look lovely!

For me at this point I would prob show in black, but I certinally love seeing the colors. I really think these colors enhance a chestnut, sometimes they do NOT look good in all black.

Quote Originally Posted by GallantGesture View Post
    I got a new Pikeur coat this year. It's not quite navy, more like a dark slate blue, and it has a periwinkle velvet collar. I think it's beautiful! I got the navy Charles Owen helmet to go with it. My horse is a very orange chestnut so I really like the blues on him. I didn't get any negative comments, and got good scores and a few compliments so I don't think the judges mind a non-black coat.

There are some pictures of our outfit on my blog at http://tbatx.wordpress.com/2009/06/3...-show-results/
    I think that is absolutely lovely. I had a custom hunt coat made in a blue windowpane fabric for my orangey-chestnut mare and I always had tons of compliments on it.

I think folks should wear what looks nice on the horse...and use some common sense to narrow that down to "what looks good on Horsie within reason", LOL

Talking

You can easily wear either color pants. My coat has a nougat colored collar and piping ( I designed these coats for my store-very lightweight, too, for FL) and my helmet is the Ch Owens black with that same color nougat center. How do I post a picture??
    God, I'm so computer illiterate!!!

Wink

I don't think dressage is all about the clothes. But this is going to be my one and only show coat, so I really want to look sharp and look that way for years to come...especially when you get that AWESOME shot of you and your horse, but your coat is all bunched in the arms with an inch of wrist stick out out between gloves and sleeve and helmet is down over eyes. Yikes! Wake up call! I'd post some shots, but fear the scorn. Time for the show outfit to reflect the amount of time and effort and grit I give this (within a tight budget).

I'll only be able to buy a new coat if I sell the two I have (one hunt, one gorgeous dressage coat that's made for someone shorter than me), so it's not like I'll have 5 coats in the closet

Can't WAIT to see your outfit mobilehrs! You could post onto photobucket or something?!

Quote Originally Posted by mobilehrs View Post
    You can easily wear either color pants. My coat has a nougat colored collar and piping ( I designed these coats for my store-very lightweight, too, for FL) and my helmet is the Ch Owens black with that same color nougat center. How do I post a picture??
    God, I'm so computer illiterate!!!
    Post it on something like photobucket or webshots and put the link here

I wanna see!

I think any conservative combo that meets requirements (light colored breeches, dark coat) and matches well with the horse will not be distracting. I think a poorly put together ensemble (ill fitting, mismatched, etc) would be distracting even if it's "traditional."

I hope this works. On the pony, is the brown tailcoat-don't crucify me because I'm on a pony!!! She's one of my broodmares and I bring them along between babies. Cute outfit, tho, huh?
    http://www.mobilehorsesupply.com/breeding%20program.htm

I want a dark dark green,,, so dark it almost looks black,, for my chestnut
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

I would LOVE a chocolate brown coat for my chestnut mare, but only if I can ever find the website for the guy I contacted about stripping the dye from my black boots and redying them brown. Black is just too harsh on a chestnut IMO.

For the bright bay filly or my grey gelding, somewhere between cobalt and navy blue. Like navy but with a brighter undertone, and then cobalt lining.

I hope this works. On the pony, is the brown tailcoat-don't crucify me because I'm on a pony!!! She's one of my broodmares and I bring them along between babies. Cute outfit, tho, huh?
    Crucify you? You look AMAZING! That is such a lovely pony! And I adore the jacket and hat!

Super cute ponies! Just darling.

I agree--great outfit Mobilehrs!! You guys look super sharp and I'm drooling over your lovely position. Is your tophat brown or black?

When does one start wearing "tophats?"/aka: at what level?

I love the brown too. I think it would look great on my chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail.
    Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!

Smile

Moblhrs, love the brown outfit!! Great color co-ordination with the color of your pony! Do you have a web site for your store? Would you design for the rest of us? What fabric works in Fla?

Terrific shot of your mare, too. What a powerhouse!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by HollysHobbies View Post
    OOOOO, mobilehrs, that's what I'm coveting deep down...the brown one. I posted the link at the top. Do you have to wear the champagne ensemble underneath, or could you wear white under the brown?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Fashionistas? What do we think? Brown coat on a bay horse with strawberry blonde rider/relatively fair skinned, but with some pigment. black boots, black helmet, white underneath (pants/shirt/stock) ?

...maybe I should cross post under the hunter thread ?
    Do the champagne with the brown - white is too stark, and wouldn't complement your skin or hair tones, since you're blond. I think it would be stunning on a bay horse. Go for it!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

If and when I ever get to show FEI, I'm going to treat myself to a custom tail coat,......................in eggplant purple. Haven't decided about the color of the vest points, though - any suggestions?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

We're doing the eggplant in our coats now and the prototypes for the tailcoat just arrived! The tophat in that pic is dark brown. You really can be subtle but when they get that second look, they realize the difference. Gotta have some fun!!!

I like the slightly different colours. I think the brown jacket and hat with cream breeches will look very classy.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Default Navy?

Can we really call that an alternative color?

Medium gray with lavender or purple pinstripes, white breeches, medium gray boots, saddle, bridle, white pad with piping to match points.....

....is that allowed?

of course, I would have to win the lottery first...but still....I think it would be a cool look.

I would LOVE to have a dark brown coat for my chestnut. I think I'd go with white breeches and pads because he has a wide white blaze and 4 white stockings.

Unfortunately, I don't have the funds for an extra coat, but I'll definitely think about it when I eventually look for a shadbelly.