The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default With Etoile gone what are our options for riding in Germany?

So, it seems are no longer any places in Germany where it is set up to have people for the US come over and train. So... what are our options? I would really like to spend a month or two this summer over in Germany, but do not know where to look for riding/training. Are there any programs out there? Do they do working student programs in Germany? I have a couple of years of German classes, but am not fluent so that may limit some of my options...

Anybody going over there? Anything?

There are plenty. You can join the public riding clubs for the duration of your stay, inquire about lessons in private barns/apply for working student positions. You can also take courses at the States Riding Schools such as Hoya, Verden or Warendorf... Depends a lot on what discipline you focus on and what your personal level of riding is like.

You might want to get in touch with Linda@peopletohorses.com. She's an American living in Warendorf & she knows lots of different programs for riders who want to spend some time riding & studying in Germany. She also has a website -- www.peopletohorses.com -- where you can learn more. She's a great gal and might be a good resource for you.

http://www.performancehorses.org/Training.html

Try the above link. These "camps" come highly recommended. You stay in a nice little hotel and you can prepare and take your silver and gold performance medals if you wish from the FN.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

WOW..these links are awesome guys. I am hoping to go over in september and have been searching for months for info like this!!!
    Thanks!
    ps..has anyone had experience with the riding school in Verden?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

The Verden school teaches/trains in all disciplines, I don't think specializing in one. They do a great job, but be prepared to work - no 'free rides' in Germany : ). One huge positive is that the School is located directly across the street from the Hanoverian Verband and their riding/auction facility, so you can hang-out and watch. If you want to specifically ride dressage, I would recommend Hoya. It is run by Hans-Heinrich and Katrin Meyer zu Strohen. H-H is the national coach for the German Young Riders team (many of whom will move up to the German A, B and C teams) and Katrin as trained many horses to the Young Horse Championships, including winning with Poetin. H-H is great to work with and an excellent teacher. He has cliniced at our farm and received rave reviews from the participants.

Lots of great opportunities, have fun.
    Judy
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    Chair, USSHBA Positive ID Working Group; USSHBA Steering Committe member

Sylvan,
    thanks for the info. I do want to focus mostly on dressage and primarily on correct starting and development of young horses. I want to go for 6-8 months so maybe could even take courses at both places.
    For those of you who know...how fluent should one be in German to ride at these schools? I want to learn as much as I can before I go but just kind of wondering,...
    www.svhanoverians.com

Linda Christie at Peopetohorses is great!! She's an American who has lived and worked in Germany for quite awhile and she can definitely help you out. AND - she's in Warendorf!
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by Alinera2 View Post
    You might want to get in touch with Linda@peopletohorses.com. She's an American living in Warendorf & she knows lots of different programs for riders who want to spend some time riding & studying in Germany. She also has a website -- www.peopletohorses.com -- where you can learn more. She's a great gal and might be a good resource for you.
    I emailed this woman, I'm super serious about being a WS in Germany for year next Spring - she never got back to me.

Really? I found Linda to be super helpful and she has always gotten back to me on numerous occassions. Try again..or is there a # you could call her at?
    www.svhanoverians.com

I will write to her again...but I think I am onto some good leads now.

Our options are I think we could go to any city in Germany and there would be a dozen riding schools that give dressage lessons. In German.

Though actually, I didn't have any trouble taking lessons in France, and didn't speak much french. The commands during the lessons are simple, just watch a couple lessons, then you see what the commands are and copy what the other riders do.

I have had no problems finding places to ride in Germany.

When I go visit my aunt and uncle in Cologne, I pick between the state sponsored riding school that has school horses all the way up the levels in both dressage and jumping, or the private riding school that also has very nice horses to ride and hosts one of the shows everyone goes to to practice for Aachen.

When I spent my final year of law school in Berlin, I got on the internet, did a google search, and took high quality lessons on a nice school horse twice a week. The options were a 4th levelish WB and a GP trained Friesan that was the instructor's personal competition horse.

Average price of a lesson was EUR20 a pop, and the difference in quality between your average barn in US that probably doesn't have school horses above 1st anyway, if at all, and your average (average!!) lesson barn in Germany was a little heartwrenching.

And, while I speak German, English could have been spoken at any of the above.

I lessoned over there with my trainer's brother. He just happened to live outside Hannover, where my sister lives, so it was great. The first thing I did was buy a book called Mein Erstes Reitbuch, which is a kids book, but it taught me the vocabulary. The horse magazines are written at a relatively low level of German, so those are helpful in getting the language down, and you can buy them at any newstand. Everyone over there speaks English, but you can get up to speed pretty quickly if you do your homework! Get used to riding in a very crowded indoor arena. Viel Gl├╝ck!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Any tips about being a long-term working student at one of the state sponsored schools? How would you arrange a visa for 1 year + ? Thanks! Great replies!

Quote Originally Posted by PennyChrome View Post
    Any tips about being a long-term working student at one of the state sponsored schools? How would you arrange a visa for 1 year + ? Thanks! Great replies!
    Contact the consulate in your are. They can give you the best, up to date info on Visa requirements.

last time I checked, Americans did not need one to enter the country, but that free pass expires after 90 days and you have to find the 'Auslaender behoerde' to extend it. considering you might need some form of income while you are there, strings are attached. Official info is your best bet.

Thanks.