The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default inguinal hernia surgery

We have a 2.5 month old colt that is heading to surgery. Can anyone share their stories - what to expect, recovery, long term success stories etc. This is the first time I have had to send a baby off and I'm fit to be tied. I thought needing a wine break for foal watch was bad, I'll need to break out the hard liquor for this one
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Our (now 2 yo) colt had surgery for an inguinal hernia when he was 1 day old. We had him gelded at the same time, as the vet hospital recommended. All seemed to go well after the surgery, but then we got a call in the middle of the night the evening after, telling us that the vets watching him saw more intestine pushing it's way through the sutures! So he had to have a second surgery. I think he was at the hospital for about a week (longer than we had thought originally because of the second surgery), then he was on stall rest for a bit, followed by a period where he could only be in a small paddock, before he was finally allowed to be turned out in our big field. I don't remember how long that was, but it felt like forever since we hadn't even been able to see our new baby move before his surgery. He had to be on antibiotics for a while, too. Other than that, he did great and you'd never know (even soon after) why he was on stall rest from looking at him. He was pretty cheerful and bright, even the evening after his surgery.

It was stressful sending one so young to the hospital for us, but all turned out fine (though it was expensive - about $2,800!). I'm sure your colt will do well, ours bounced back very fast. He was mostly upset about not being able to run around for a while.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.