The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Verhan saddles - drool - serial numbers?

I got to ride one of these a while ago and have been snooping around looking for a used one. Does anyone know how to read the serial numbers on them? How do others feel about this saddle maker?

I like the shape of the panels as well as the width of the channel, and the shape of the front of the saddle appears to follow the countour of the shoulder very well. I thought the horse's back was more active with this type of channel.

I love my Verhan Odessey, but I'm afraid that I'm no help as far as the serial number goes, other than that I would be happy to share my # if it would help, as I know my saddles purchase area, etc... I got mine used from my trainer (she's a big believer in this model).

Edit: Oh, and it's the only saddle I've found that actually frees her gelding's shoulder sufficiently. He's got a VERY set back shoulder, and it's hard to get a good fit with him. Not so much with the Friesian, but the saddle fits him well, too.

I have one and I bought it new. It came with 2 different stuffed panels. Then I had it restuffed at my cost. I didn't like dealing with them and felt they were unprofessional. My advice don't buy new, they lose a lot of value. That being said, I like my saddle, but for me the seat is a little flat and strains my lower back. And yes I use it on my friesian.
    Friesians Rule !!

Here's the saddle on Jor - when I go out there today I'll take some of it without someone on him .

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...andjorrit2.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...rse/saddle.jpg

Default Verhan

Bernardo, the owner, is a very nice man. There is a contact email at his web site....
    www.verhansaddlery.com . You could email him and ask him what you need to know. They're really nice saddles.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

1 members found this post helpful.

The shoulder fit is precisely what I liked about it, isn't that funny, LOL. Please feel free to post any serial numbers with the model etc information of the same saddle...I would probably be better able to find the right saddle used if I can understand the serial numbers.

Anyone have a Trilogy? I hear they have a Saddle For Small People.

I rode in a Trilogy for a while. LOVED it, but didn't fit the horse well enough for me to want to spend the cash on it. SUPER nice leather, but I question how it would wear. Could be totally wrong about that, but the leather was so soft and supple that I would worry that I'd beat it right to hell.

The trilogy seemed to have a big odd flat spot in the middle of the seat, to my eye. Anyone else see that?

Yes, and my odessey has the same type of flat spot, now that I look at it. But then I have a big, flat butt, so it works for me . It's more that my seatbones are wide back to front apparently.

Oh, and as for wear, that IS a concern. I ride 2 horses a day, and mine is about 10 years old, and is showing quite a bit of wear. I put most of the miles on it, too, in the past year...It's softer than my trainer's Zara, and the leather is easy to mar.

I rode the Andalusian stallion today in it, and it fit his back VERY well - it's probably the most versatile saddle we have at the barn for fitting multiple horses. I noticed that he seemed more relaxed with this than he did when I rode him in my trainer's saddle - I was more easily able to get him to stretch down (a problem for him, as he tends to get tense). He was happy as a clam today, though - I think that it distributes my weight better than the Zara, which probably does help. I didn't get any pictures but I did get the serial #, if you want me to PM it to you.

Thanks if you would please.

You have too many PM's .

I bought my Verhan new - The Odyssey II.
    It also shows a LOT of wear, although it's about 7 years old. I've heard the buffalo hide is tougher and wears better.

The nice thing is that Verhans have an adjustable tree (EXCEPT the Hanover style)... so the owner Bernardo has to come to the house a few times a year to adjust the saddle - sometimes he needs to take it back to the shop to adjust the tree, other times he can adjust the flocking on the spot.

Bernardo is truely an artist - so emailing may take a bit to get a response - he's technology challanged. He also teaches and rides dressage so understands the needs of the horse and rider.

Sorry - I don't know anything about serial numbers. Is there something specific you want to know?

And heard recently that one Big Name tack store owner in Wellington area sells "fake" Hennig's... so buyer beware.
    Sandy in Fla.

I've been curious why Verhan's lose so much resale value....most $4k saddles aren't automatically $2k just cause they aren't brand new anymore, but their going price is definitely $1,500-$2000. Any insights?

I love the Verhans. They lose a lot of value because almost no one knows about them. That's all. If you ask around, you'll find that people have never heard of the brand. And people don't pay for brands they don't know. I've also had Verhan reps fit my other (non-Verhan) saddles and found them to be very nice, customer service wise.

I was looking for a Verhan but ended up with a used Trilogy because my horse's shoulders were more free in the Trilogy. I LOVE the Verago Elite. I tried the Debbie M. model, which is supposedly made for a petite rider, but hated it. It has a wide twist. And this petite rider (5' 1") with no hips doesn't ride well in a wide twist. Any of their saddles can be ordered with short flaps, though, if that's what your concerned about for size. The only male rider at our barn loved the Debbie model and ordered that. The 4 ladies at the barn who bought Trilogies all liked the Verago model better.
    Last edited by Raison d'etre; Jul. 27, 2009 at 05:46 PM.

I bought a Verhan, because it was a great deal, and nothing else has fit my horses shoulder comfortably. Unfortunately it also pinches her scapula pretty badly. I am very pleased with the quality of the saddle though, and I love the way it fits me, talk about my leg growing! I love the blocks! The twist is a bit wide, but will probably just take some getting used to. Also, I thought the flap might be too long at 17", but because I got to really lengthen my stirrups, its fits nicely. The only thing I don't like (besides it totally not fitting my horse!) Is that I'm used to being able to feel my horses back underneath me and the Verhan is much less of a 'close contact' feel in the seat. However, I attribute this to the great spine clearance of the nice wide gullet. The panels are a bit 'banana' but nothing compared to a County or something like that. I like the panels. I haven't decided if I will keep it and try to buy another saddle more specifically for my horse, or sell it. But overall it is a really nice saddle.

Do you guys know what it generally costs to have flocking adjusted? This may be an option, but I've never had it done before. I am in Washington state. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PennyChrome View Post
    I bought a Verhan, because it was a great deal, and nothing else has fit my horses shoulder comfortably. Unfortunately it also pinches her scapula pretty badly.
    Do you guys know what it generally costs to have flocking adjusted? This may be an option, but I've never had it done before. I am in Washington state. Thanks
    You can fix the scapula - the tree needs to be adjusted (widened). I've never had to do it remotely (Bernardo always comes to the house) but I'm betting you could do it with a trace of her withers - why not call the 800 number and/or email and ask? You'd be without your saddle at least for 1 week, at your distance probably longer, but it would be worth it. He can re-flock at the same time (and when he adjusts the tree would probably have to re-flock to make it correct). It cost me $175 the last time he was out to reflock (June 11, 2009).
    Sandy in Fla.

Ok ya talked me into it, LOL. And a girth, the special leathers, and buckets of their saddle conditioner, LOL.

I do think they resell for less because they are little known. The resale market is a lot about popularity. And I think that will change as they get to be better known.

Bernardo is really absolutely brilliant, he is the real deal. He watches you ride, he palpates the horse's back, gets a history on the horse, goes over the tack you have, he talks to your trainer....plus he rides and teaches dressage. He's studied saddles in museums, he individually custom builds each saddle, with larger panels than any other saddle on the market, and he puts more padding in crucial areas like where the top of the saddle flap meets the panels. The whole design of the saddle is to free up the motion of the horse while protecting the back.

It's a whole different deal than the way I was brought up too, as far as saddle care. I was taught to put very little conditioner or oil on saddles, because it will cause the seat leather to stretch and tear at the stitches, and I've seen people who have done that to old saddles, but this leather is tanned and conditioned differently. He has cleaner and two types of conditioners and teaches you how to use them.

noirette Guest

I have a Verhan Odessey I that I just love. I have had it for 3 years now. I did have gussets incorporated professionally because it started rocking on my horse and a bit too banana shape to reflock properly. It was also somewhat restricting the shoulder blade but it looked like my horse's shoulder movement was still free. Unfortunately I have had to put down my horse and the saddle does not fit this new one. The saddle Fitter (Bernardo) was very helpful indeed and he did mention that the tree can be reshaped a few times no problem as long as it is not a huge difference in size. But it is best not to have it done too many times.
    I would agree that the twist is moderately wide.

The serial number is located vertically underneath the right flap. if I recall the last 5 digits relates to the tree size but Bernardo would be able to tell you.

My Verhan tends to rock in the back too. May have to have gusseted panels put in. How much did that cost you?
    Friesians Rule !!

Quote Originally Posted by slc
    He individually custom builds each saddle
    Are you sure? I thought they were made in another country. He used to sell Prestige. When he sold Prestige, he wasn't making saddles.