The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Energy Booster for my horse?

My TB gelding has just been downright LAZY lately. We've pulled blood and all looks normal. When I'm riding him, he'll get up in front of my leg and work, but he's just. so. lazy. When I'm leading him or just walking around mounted...

Now, he's ALWAYS been lazy, but as of late, its been worse. Yes, the heat, and we've made some changes. He's been pasture boarded for the last couple months as opposed to a stall. He's MUCH happier out. As a result of being out, he's obviously moving around more. The reason he couldn't live out before is because he was the only hard keeper in the group. Now he's with a group of hard keepers and managed accordingly. He's in GREAT weight and we're able to cut his grain back considerably (from 10lbs to 4lbs... very slowly, of course.) He has access to adequate pasture and free choice hay.

I know all these things are contributing factors, but there has got to be a way to get him some energy without making him hot... any suggestions? He had been on a vit b12 supplement with no apparent changes...

Stalling him a bit more is out, I guess. The heat, flies, and stuff from being out all the time might be wearing him out some.

well, you have cut his grain down considerably. What does he eat? You might consider adding a multi vitamin.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

He's getting what is still considered a complete ration as according to his feed. Its Tucker Milling (local company out of AL) 14%. Alfalfa based. We feed additional vitamins and minerals with other feeds that we use, but the bag and the nutritionist both express no need to add any additional supplements.

My TB mare is the same way. I had a glimmer of more energy when I started her on Omega Horse Shine, but that coincided with her heat cycle, so I am not sure it really was the cause. I find for riding energy, going somewhere new perks her up- a hack out, a ride in the field instead of the ring. Like instead of walking around the ring to warm or cool down, try walking in the driveway or on a trail.

I just kind of live with it. I wanted a quiet horse....and well, she delivers. Perhaps spend some time around some hot horses and learn to appreciate the lower energy ones.

Find somewhere new to ride. Even if its a spot in his field. My Crazy Appendix mare gets bored and lazy if I school her in the same place all the time. There is also some energy bar for horses. I talked to my vet about it and its perfectly safe to use if it works for you. He said a lot of people haven't seena difference, but my old man perks up when I give it to him. Good luck!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    My TB mare is the same way. I had a glimmer of more energy when I started her on Omega Horse Shine, but that coincided with her heat cycle, so I am not sure it really was the cause. I find for riding energy, going somewhere new perks her up- a hack out, a ride in the field instead of the ring. Like instead of walking around the ring to warm or cool down, try walking in the driveway or on a trail.

I just kind of live with it. I wanted a quiet horse....and well, she delivers. Perhaps spend some time around some hot horses and learn to appreciate the lower energy ones.
    Unfortunately he's pretty well traveled and doesn't get real excited about much. We have 650 acres to ride on... and its all the same old, same old for him. I mean, really, a good problem to have, but... still a problem.

I have two HOT mares right now... and I do appreciate the quietness to a point... but something's got to give!!!

My friend gives her horse Omega Alpha Enguragin to give him a bit extra perk. She says she sees a difference.

hah so I just realized who posted this! ha I so dont pay attention! LOL If Ari isnt getting excited with only being able to see stuff out of one eye.. I dont think he will ever be excited. You may have luck with that energy bar thing or a snickers bar.. My horse goes pretty hay wire with snickers (same horse that eats hot dogs though.. ha!)
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

my pony has been very lazy and behind the leg the past few weeks so we've added some steamed crimped oats to his feed - has made a difference - to a point - except for yesterday when the tempurates sky rocketed / humid and he thought I was crazy to think he was going to work!
    I also noted that the saddle is not fitting as well, so since riding bareback has seen a slight improvement

Give the boy some fat! As I recall from when Doc was on that at Racheal's, it's pretty low in fat, which is why I was adding oil to Doc's. Fat = cooler energy, and I didn't see any in Ari's ration. Steer clear of adding carbs, and just start by adding 1/4 c of corn oil/day. It's the best/most affordable option and 100% fat.

At that amount with semi-regular work it won't pack on the lbs. but should give him a reserve to tap into more easily that if you upped his feed (protein takes longer and is more difficult to convert to energy).

You can try changing his diet around or using something like Red Cell. Or you can buy a set of spurs and teach him that go means go.

Talking

I've fed Omega Horseshine...does anyone who has fed that see an increase in energy? Just wondering.
    I know that adding fat helps but summer time is so hard to add corn oil to the grain, it makes such a fly mess.
    In terms of energy...I remember a story of some team (not sure) taking a bucket of brown sugar around in the warm up area and letting all the horses eat out of it just before a jump off. This was a legendary thing, it may have been the Brazilian show jumping team or the Mexican three day team or something - wondering if brown sugar would create energy.
    Racehorse people just feed lots and lock them up! Whoheee!!! Get the StickTite spray out!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I like Ultra Fire and electrolytes in the summer though I don't know if actually gives an energy boost (it claims to) but it does seem to aid in building condition even in the hottest time of the year.

What's wrong with a laid-back, relaxed horse? As long as he does what you ask, when you ask, I doubt it's a training problem.   If he's shiny and healthy and fit and well, I doubt it's a health problem. Maybe he's just--a mellow fellow.

If he's too slow to respond when you do ground work, he needs a reminder that when you ASK, he DELIVERS. Just like under saddle.
    Click here before you buy.

Ari was probably thinking, "what is WRONG with that guy?" as Taco and I walked circles around you last week! I think we covered twice the distance than you did on our hack! But to be fair, Taco was in a new place and looking for the XC school, while Ari was just cruising around the back 640 for the umpteeth time.

Adding 1/4 c of corn oil to 4 ibs. of feed/day won't really be a fly problem. You've got a climate controlled place to keep it, and I'm sure he gobbles up 4 lbs. pretty quickly.

And, seriously, is there a question that SUGAR (brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added to it) which is straight carbohydrate will produce energy? It's called a "sugar high" for a reason. The crash sucks though! Racehorses need massive energy stores for their short but strenuous sport. Unfortunately, they just need it for about 1/2 hour per day. I always think they must feel like I do when my leg won't stop twitching when I've been working really hard.

[quote=CookiePony;4261911 But to be fair, Taco was in a new place and looking for the XC school, while Ari was just cruising around the back 640 for the umpteeth time. [/quote]

Haaaahahahaha! That made me LOL!

Between my trainer and my vet, we decided its probably mostly a fitness issue, so we're going to try to find something to put him on short term to just make things a little EASIER for the both of us (I know, its cheating, but whatever) until he's a little more fit and back to competition shape, and he should be fine again. As he gets back in hard work it wouldn't surprise me if we end up having to bump up his feed again, anyway. And hopefully CookiePony and darling Taco will continue to come hack with us a couple of times a month so we can get some fitness that way- long, slow work is more fun with a friend!