The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default pre-purchase exam

I'm in the process of buying a horse and am wondering what people consider to be the basic PPE? The horse is inexpensive, less than 3K. I've been riding him for about 6 months, light to moderate work, lots of trot (he'd been rather a pasture puff for some time prior) on good footing. He's been sound (knock wood) so far.

I intend to use him for low level dressage, trail riding, small jumps, maybe some local showing. He's just a really nice "all around" type horse. He's a grade QH type, about 7 or 8 yrs. 24/7 turnout and seemingly quite content on it. A bit of an air-fern, he's chubby on decent pasture, (plenty of acreage but not lush), with just enough grain to make his supplements (accel, biotin) stick. His feet are shelly and cracked but there is a good inch or so of new growth that appears to be in good shape. The supplements and spring grass have had a lot to do with that I suspect. He does tend to be on the lethargic side, no ball of fire here.

He's due to have a Coggins pulled and I'm going to have a Lyme titer run simply because I live in a high risk area and I've seen plenty of deer ticks this year. I don't feel that I need to do a PPE on same level I would do on a very expensive horse but I'd like to cover the minimum. Any suggestions would be welcome.

At least a basic soundness/suitability check. Flexion, hoof testers, visual etc. If flexion tests show something then you have to decide if it's worth the money for xrays etc or walk away from the horse or risk it. I have in the past purchased a horse that flunked it's PPE (bad flexion in both hocks) because the price was right and the horse never had a lame day in its life. I've also had horses that passed the exam and spent more time on layup than under saddle. I guess that doesn't help much, but I would spend a few hundred on a 3000 horse. Good luck.

Agree so far.

Also get eyes checked. I got the basic PPE on my mare last year, even though she was a "known" horse. (My trainer trained her, but she had been away for a couple of years.)

My vet did it. I learned she has cataract in one eye, mild heart murmur. Mostly I wanted to establish a baseline and find out what to watch for. I'm very glad I did it. We went into it with the idea that she would be a good match for me (and she has been) and the idea of the PPE was not to prevent a sale, unless vet found something really bad, but to help me properly care for her.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I'm in the process of buying a horse and am wondering what people consider to be the basic PPE? The horse is inexpensive, less than 3K. I've been riding him for about 6 months, light to moderate work, lots of trot (he'd been rather a pasture puff for some time prior) on good footing. He's been sound (knock wood) so far.

I intend to use him for low level dressage, trail riding, small jumps, maybe some local showing. He's just a really nice "all around" type horse. He's a grade QH type, about 7 or 8 yrs. 24/7 turnout and seemingly quite content on it. A bit of an air-fern, he's chubby on decent pasture, (plenty of acreage but not lush), with just enough grain to make his supplements (accel, biotin) stick. His feet are shelly and cracked but there is a good inch or so of new growth that appears to be in good shape. The supplements and spring grass have had a lot to do with that I suspect. He does tend to be on the lethargic side, no ball of fire here.

He's due to have a Coggins pulled and I'm going to have a Lyme titer run simply because I live in a high risk area and I've seen plenty of deer ticks this year. I don't feel that I need to do a PPE on same level I would do on a very expensive horse but I'd like to cover the minimum. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    For that price and the fact you have been riding him for some time, I wouldn't bother with the PPE. And since you seem to have what I was looking for, I would buy him in a heartbeat at that price! There are not a lot of them out there as you described in that price range.

However, a basic exam should include vital signs, vision/hearing, listen to the chest, look at teeth, palpate legs for any lumps or bumps, hoof testers, and flexion tests.

You could always x-ray if something came up on the flexions.