The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you send your horse off to a ...

Dressage trainer?

I'd like for him to get a good riding foundation. Well that and just in case he doesn't make a good jumper.

So would you do it? Why or why not?
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

Of course. A good dressage trainer that had experience with young horses anyway. I take dressage lessons even on my established show horses. Great flatwork is a necessary part of the puzzle. Of course at the basic levels all trainers should be teaching the same flat principles anyway.

yeap because without the flat he wont be very good in the air and the basic of all good jumpers is flat work

One for sure I would in NY is Lendon Gray...

I would not send my horse off somewhere for someone else to ride, but I would train with a dressage trainer. But I like the learning process; a made horse is boring to me. The training aspect is fun for me. But yes, a dressage base is very important for a jumper, so I'd do it.

Unless we're talking about an unbroke horse here. I'm not that adventurous.

Thanks guys (or gals, whichever you are). For a moment I had a brain lapse. For some reason he doesn't seem like he is going to make a jumper, so I want to make sure I have a back-up plan for him.

I wish I could afford to ship him off to NY but I'm on the opposite end of the map. Florida to be exact.

*Off to find my list of trainers and get recomendations*

ETA: Seven-up he is definitally unbroke. I've ridden horses and help finish them, but *I* know for sure I don't have enough experince to start him.
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

Absolutely!
    *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

nope.
    I'd send me and my horse to a dressage trainer. because if your horse learns a different way of going than what he has learned with you, he'll go back to how he was before because you won't have the knowledge necessary to build from there if you don't learn with him.
    Oldenburgs do it better

rip mystic puddin' 1984-2006
    rip banacek 1992-2007

Quote Originally Posted by danosaur View Post
    nope.
    I'd send me and my horse to a dressage trainer. because if your horse learns a different way of going than what he has learned with you, he'll go back to how he was before because you won't have the knowledge necessary to build from there if you don't learn with him.
    I definitally plan to take lessons with whomever I send him to. And possibly continue with them for awhile afterwards.

Yes yes yes and yes!

So many people, many unsuccessful in this business, overlook the fundamental parts of flat work. Any reasonably good trainer will tell you flat work before jumping. Speaking in general, you and your horse will not get yourselves to the jump without flat work, almost guaranteed unless if your downright dangerous over fences. This is so so important for ride-ability.
    I think what would be an even better situation instead of sending your horse off, is to send you off to dressage school with the horse!

I second Lendon in NY. I have never had the opportunity to ride with her, however, my friend is her working student for the entire summer! What an amazing opportunity for someone not even half way done with high school! I've always heard great things about her business.

If you're in Florida, see if you can get a hold of John Zopatti. Maybe two p's, can't remeber, but he's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppers mom View Post
    If you're in Florida, see if you can get a hold of John Zopatti. Maybe two p's, can't remeber, but he's great.
    I don't think I have heard of him before. Do you know where abouts in FL he is located? Or any type of contact info? (If you would like you could PM it to me)

might be helpful to say where you're located in FL, so people can make recommendations. John Zopatti is just outside of Wellington I believe

Depends--not all dressage trainers can start young horses. We have got too many in the barn later as hunter prospects that were crammed into a frame and never allowed to go forward and balance themselves.

BUT if I were closer to Craig Heckert at Rivervale Farms I would have him start all my horses. He does it all, starts all the babies on the farm and competes their stallions at upper level dressage. Talk about a good seat and quiet pair of hands!! I am sure there are others like him--just make sure you watch them ride a few youngsters first.

Definitely! Of course i would choose a reputable trainer. As a former Hunter/Jumper rider now turned Dressage rider. I have a great appreciation for both.

Even IF your horse does make a jumper. He can't be a great jumper without the basics on the flat. A good Dressage trainer will never cram your horse into a "frame". A good Dressage trainer will improve your horse greatly. Just be careful of the bad ones. I have ridden horses like the ones that krfarms has mentioned that were forced into a frame and not moving forward, very long road to reform them to a better place.

Sure...especially to start one...IF you can find a good one that will take a colt or older unbroke one.

Later on, not so much. For one thing, there are many good H/J trainers well grounded in basics so you don't need to seek one in a different discipline.

For another, there is a big difference in basics of dressage and what you see in the rings at some "Dressage" barns. You get to a point where the skill set differs. Dressage is framed and very collected compared to what you want in a Hunter and those skills can be hard to untrain and retrain.

Especially if you are looking at a future Hunter, long, low and with a nice, forward canter can be hard to find if the horse learns all that frame and collection. It has been a definate issue with some of the career changers I've seen, takes awhile.

That said, first 90 days should not create any kind of issue like that...unless the "Dressage" trainer is a real JAW.

Just be careful and do your homework but any decent trainer ought to be able to start one for you...even a Western type.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks everyone.

Well I think later this evening I will hop on over to the dressage section and get opinons on some trainers/instructors.

ETA: findeight - He moves more like a dressage horse than a jumper. (I'm not really into hunters that much). So I want him started in dressage (maybe not fully trained though) and take it from there to see where he will excel. Hopefully he will make a good jumper, but I don't know if it is likely. If not, a-jumper-shopping I will go!

Default Maybe-- choose carefully and stay involved

That would be my first bit of advice.

But I think a good western guy might do a slightly better job than the comparable dressage person. I like the "ranch broke" philosophy, and the idea that the horse is not to be micro-managed. Young ones especially like the "when you're doing it right, I leave you alone" approach. Sometimes I think that's anathema to dressagers who want to create constant and "ready" listening and obedience.

My ideal plan for a young'n would be 60 or 90 days with and old skool western colt guy, and then riding with a dressage person for a longer stretch of time. The flat work the dressage world can offer is, indeed, an excellent foundation for a horse. But because you will continue that yourself at home, and no matter what your horse does for a living, you should watch, take lessons and learn the larger progression that the dressager has in mind.

You will be very happy in the long run if you put a great foundation into your horse.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If you are located near Wellington, I would highly recommend Lisa Payne at Oak Hammock Farm.

She has trained horses up through GP dressage, and her husband is a western guy who does the whole cowboy thing. They work with horses as a team and do a great job.

A good foundation is a good foundation. If the trainer you have found to back your young horse is a good dressage trainer and will put a good foundation/start then go for it.