The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trotting for inspections...please help!

So I have my OLD/NA inspections in about 1 month and I am trying to get myself and mares prepared.
    Since my filly was born I have not been doing much with mom. They are out on pasture during the day and in a pen at night. I play around with them daily groom them and lots of TLC. There is not much training I am doing with the filly at this point. Just general handling, talking walks around the farm while mom follows and things like that. She is a really good girl, picks up on everything I ask of her. Oh she is 4 months old now.
    So last weekend I put the bridle back on mom to get her working again in hand for inspections. Just wanted to remind her that she has to trot nicely with me again after her well deserved time off in pasture.
    The issue is that the filly will not trot next to her. We have a pretty large arena and even if mom is on the other side away from her, she would rather run around on her own, leaping and having a good time. Once she "gets the bucks out" she will begin to follow us a bit. But buy this time she is tired and is either slowly cantering or jogging.
    My worry is that when we are at the inspections she will do the same thing. Just run around playing and not trot. She has a beautiful trot when she wants to, high suspension and fluid, I would love to show this off to the judge! i have tried getting behind her to move her forward a bit with my body language while someone else trots mom, this usually just makes her want to canter and run away. She has proven herself to be a very independent girl, not really interested in staying by mom all the time.
    Anyone have any tips or tricks to get them to just trot, or at least trot a few steps here and there? Or is the most I can do is just try and see what I get. I am sure that the inspectors are used to the inconsistency of babies. I just want to have the best opportunity for her to preform well....maybe i am just being nervous....

It's really hard to "train" a foal that age to trot in hand. That's why they show them at liberty.

I'm betting when you take her to strange arena with lots of strange sights, sounds, horses, etc. she will stay pretty close to mom.

And the inspectors know what they are looking for. Besides, it's only one day in the life of the foal and sometimes they DON'T show well. A friend of mine was heartbroken when (in her HO) when the best mover she'd ever bred declined to trot on inspection day and just missed Premium.

IMHO, she'll be fine. You don't want them shy and sucked up against mom - judge's can't see anything then! I'm sure she'll get a few trot strides in there for the inspection. Don't worry about it - my foals that scored the highest were the ones that were off careening around being their independent selves.

Default thanks!

Thanks Kyzteke
    I should have specified....yes I am letting her trot at liberty, not in hand

You are probably right. I am just being a worry wort. I am so proud of her. She will be my one and only riding horse in a few years and I love the idea of building her a solid resume. I doubt I will ever sell her or anything, just for my own fun and joy.

Default thanks again...

well thanks again. I will stop worrying about it and just go and have a good time.
    we are bringing a total of 12 horses so its going to be a crazy day!

Ok proud mama moment....just to fun to share.
    Here she is when she was about 3 days old. My newer photos are horrible, I need a new camera.
    but this is just too cute of a photo.
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...CIMG0142-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMares View Post
    I will stop worrying about it and just go and have a good time.
    Sounds like a plan. Cute foal! Good luck!

Very cute baby! What is her breeding?

Default Vivi

Oh thanks! I just LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE her

She is out of a young Dutch named Versache (Ferro x Idocus) and my Oldenburg approved TB mare Luna.
    This was his first foal crop this year so it was very exciting to see what we all got! I expect big things for him in the future. He is nicely climbing his way up in the jumping ring. So far all the foals this year are really wonderful all around especially nice hips and hind end movement, very leggy and tall, oh and great temperaments. Though maybe that was not all him, all the mares this year are super nice as well!
    Why we seem to give all the credits to the boys

Default Ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    I'm betting when you take her to strange arena with lots of strange sights, sounds, horses, etc. she will stay pretty close to mom.
    My colt ran around like it was a free for all! He was galloping, jumping the flower pots and ground poles etc. with his tail straight up in the air! Trot, what's that? He finally did settle down and trot some next to mom after he was done galloping and screaming like a wild thing.
    Cloverfox Stables

Default trotting for inspections

Did the inspector let you trot the triangle with the mare a few times until the foal decided to join you? or did you stop the mare and wait for him to join up?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMares View Post
    Did the inspector let you trot the triangle with the mare a few times until the foal decided to join you? or did you stop the mare and wait for him to join up?
    Hailey had to be inspected first, so she did her triangle first then Aiden joined the party. It was a LONG day and they'd been stuck in a box stall for 8 hours . . . he was wired to be free.
    Last edited by FLIPPED HER HALO; Jul. 20, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
    Cloverfox Stables

Cute baby and mom is very pretty as well!! I'm sure you'll do fine, you'll have to let us know how it all goes! Good luck! = )
    Starflower Stables