The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Older Courbette Stylist~ opinions?

I just scored a Courbette Stylist on Ebay for $77. It's on older model, pancake flat close contact (see link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280367739016)

I bought it to save wear and tear on my good A/O and my sentimental PDN while breaking my new filly. Main objective with it is to teach her to carry a saddle up to the point we have walk/trot well in hand, and maybe our first few canters. After that I should be able to get my money out of it should I decide to get rid of it, LOL.

Was wondering if anyone out there had experience with Courbette saddles, particularly this older model. Tell me the good, bad & ugly, likes & dislikes. Just curious to know if I got a good deal.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Seems like you got a good deal. I have an older Courbette Derby, which per the website does not appear to be in production any more. It has knee pads but no blocks, pencil rolls, etc. Other than that, your Stylist looks very similar to my Derby in terms of panel shape and gullet width.

I like my saddle well enough for the $$$ I paid ($250 from ebay). It's not cushy nor does it lock your leg into place. But I think it's comfy, and it's holding up great. For what I want to do (take 1 lesson per wk jumping 2'6" and hack around) it's been fine.

At one point in the late 80's Courbette stuff was all the rage, especially strap goods. Now I barely see it and I feel like I NEVER hear anyone talk about the saddles. It would be interesting if PROTACKGUY had any commentary on history of the brand, or of the Stylist and Derby specifically.

I think you got a good deal. I have a Stylist I bought in 1984 and need to sell as I no longer do hunters. I was told to price it around $200. I LOVED mine and used it for everything. It has held up nicely. Maybe I should keep it for when my little 3 yo daughter wants to start riding?

Thanks guys. I had a Courbette Alpina for a short time about 10 years ago, but it never fit me right, so I traded it to a friend not long after getting it. Believe it or not, I'm pleased to have found a classic close contact for so cheap. I've always broken my youngsters in them and feel like the added contact gives me a better feel of what the horse is doing. Could be just in my mind, though. Guess we'll find out soon enough!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I have one sitting in my closet right now that I would like to unload, but not for $77 I did not like mine because I did not feel secure in it. Very flat with plain flaps and no knee rolls. The seat felt very slick like it would be a great launching pad for my butt if my horse ever put the breaks on too fast.

Dawn

I had one of these and they are very durable. The leather is usually thick and strong.

I never found it particularly comfortable for me. But it's still a good saddle (especially for $77)!

I have two of those saddles...both about 12 years old. One was one that I rode in for ~4 years and the other was my mom's over the same time period.

In terms of how it fits horses it's been a great saddle. My M tree fits my horses in an identical manner to my County Stabilizer N tree saddle. In terms of what it's like to ride in.....I HATE it compared to nicer saddles (County, Devoucoux, Beval, etc.). It's got an oddly shaped seat (narrow towards the back) and is hard and slippery (though I never notice either of those facts in the midst of riding). I showed through the 4'9" jumpers in it, so I certainly can't say that it was impossible to ride in, but nothing could get me back into it happily.

For breaking a horse....not a bad use and it has an "uncomplicated" shape that seems to fit a decent number of horses.

Ahhh..... the Courbette Stylist..... snniiffff............ Had one of these for YEARS and love love lu-huuuuvvved it!
    Hard seat compared to the cushy ones these days, but it just had that "pocket", you know? That held you in just exactly the right position?
    And that slick leather can be remedied with proper leather care.
    Sold mine many moons ago, but I have a friend who specifically bought her Stylist because she liked mine so much. She still has hers. Brought back lots of memories when she and I reunited recently and I saw her in it. She loves hers to this day.
    Of course it doesn't have rolls and blocks and pads, but there once was a time when good riders didn't need all that stuff.
    And, hey, $77 for ANY piece of tack is a steal of a deal!
    KD