The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 16.3 Bay Gorgeous Storm Cat Bred Mare

Pictures are on equine.com under Jive Cat, the bay mare

We are looking to rehome a mare by the name of Jive Cat, sire is Tactical Cat by Storm Cat. Bay and looks like a warmblood, 16.3, 8 years old. Needs to be a broodmare, comes into season like clockwork. This mare has been with an excellent trainer and is broke to death BUT, she will show you the top of the barn when you least expect it. Great on the ground. Loves to be out. She is a true Storm Cat, athletic and tough on her back. All the tricks have been tried and were unsuceesful over the past 4 years. Given this, we are trying to find her a broodmare home. She is conformationally correct, great mover and jumper so these traits will carry on to her baby. We are hopeful that after she has a baby she may be more apt to behave under tack because her outbursts are usually associated to when she is in season. She is a red bay with black points and no white. Please email kahluahorse@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Beenthere; Jul. 17, 2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: note where to find pictures

Where is she located?

This sort of mentality makes me insane! The mare is too crazy to ride so you want to make another one just like her? How about trying regumate or having her spayed?

Fort Lauderdale

Laurierace:

Please note the mare is capable of being ridden, has shown and is broke to death. She has been with TOP hunter trainers. That said, one out of 30 days when she is in season she will be playful on her back and to an unsuspecting rider they will likely come off. The owner has gotten all out of the mare riding wise and is ready to move on to a different level. She wants to place her in a loving caring home to have great babies. Every BNT that comes through the barn gravitates to her stall because she is spectacular looking, conformationally correct, beautiful mover and jumper. She has a ton of personality. Sure, we could destine her to a life of calming agents to show (we dont believe in that) and depo/regumate but why? To do so could be detrimental to her ability to breed later. She will cross beautifully with a quarter horse or warmblood and will likely outgrow these infrequent episodes.

The problem with this mare is that she is too smart and gets bored easily. If we had more land in Fort Lauderdale to maintain a broodmare and upcoming baby we would never let her go.

The owner is trying to do a good thing to find her a home with lots of turnout and whoever gets her will love her. I am certain of that.

But thank you for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyman View Post
    Fort Lauderdale

Laurierace:

Please note the mare is capable of being ridden, has shown and is broke to death. She has been with TOP hunter trainers. That said, one out of 30 days when she is in season she will be playful on her back and to an unsuspecting rider they will likely come off. The owner has gotten all out of the mare riding wise and is ready to move on to a different level. She wants to place her in a loving caring home to have great babies. Every BNT that comes through the barn gravitates to her stall because she is spectacular looking, conformationally correct, beautiful mover and jumper. She has a ton of personality. Sure, we could destine her to a life of calming agents to show (we dont believe in that) and depo/regumate but why? To do so could be detrimental to her ability to breed later. She will cross beautifully with a quarter horse or warmblood and will likely outgrow these infrequent episodes.

The problem with this mare is that she is too smart and gets bored easily. If we had more land in Fort Lauderdale to maintain a broodmare and upcoming baby we would never let her go.

The owner is trying to do a good thing to find her a home with lots of turnout and whoever gets her will love her. I am certain of that.

But thank you for your concern.
    Have to agree with the previous poster - let's make another horse just like her - are there not enough unwanted horses out there!!!

Default Silly

You guys are being silly. If she is pretty and nice. Her baby will not be a rearer just because she is. This is usually a learned behavior. Opinions are like .... Everyone has one

As the proud owner of the mellowest, most well behaved, easiest to work with youngster I have ever known who is also the son of a mare who might just be categorized as a bitch on wheels, I have to chime in too....
    Not all mares replicate themselves and there are plenty of nice stallions out there who do.

I don't think enough information was given in the 'ad' for any of us to make the decision about whether or not this particular mare is worthy of being bred. It's not our business anyway. If you don't think she should be bred - don't get her and don't breed her. If you feel really strongly about it, I suppose you can go get her and warehouse her to make sure she is never bred....
    Y'all ain't right!

Casper and Beastie:

Thank you for your thoughts. Thankfully she does not rear at all. She simply bucks a little and that could cause a problem. We are just simply trying to disclose why we came to this decision.

Sorry to offend the rest of you (simply look away if your not interested)

One of the hazards we come across when trying to be honest and represent horses accurately. A possible mountain gets turned into a mole hill and the horse carries a scarlet letter because of it.

Its no wonder why horse dealers often fail to disclose stuff like this.

To the OP and owner of the horse -- Kudos to you for being upfront and honest about your horse. I have known many mares who were occasional pills for one reason or another that have gone on to many successful second careers. As Laurierace said, the mare could certainly be spayed if someone wanted a lovely athletic mare as a riding prospect. She has a lovely sport horse pedigree aside from the Storm Cat, including Northern Dancer, In Reality, and Round Table.

So she gets pissy certain times of the months - hell so do I. God forbid I have to tell my 4 kids they have to "go back" cuz I must have been insane to think I could reproduce and not have defective produce.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Jessi P View Post
    One of the hazards we come across when trying to be honest and represent horses accurately. A possible mountain gets turned into a mole hill and the horse carries a scarlet letter because of it.

Its no wonder why horse dealers often fail to disclose stuff like this.

To the OP and owner of the horse -- Kudos to you for being upfront and honest about your horse. I have known many mares who were occasional pills for one reason or another that have gone on to many successful second careers. As Laurierace said, the mare could certainly be spayed if someone wanted a lovely athletic mare as a riding prospect. She has a lovely sport horse pedigree aside from the Storm Cat, including Northern Dancer, In Reality, and Round Table.

So she gets pissy certain times of the months - hell so do I. God forbid I have to tell my 4 kids they have to "go back" cuz I must have been insane to think I could reproduce and not have defective produce.
    Great post Jessi P!

Just looking her pedigree over again, and now realize that the sire's damsire (Tactical Cat's broodie sire) is Caro, another super nice sport horse sire.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Do you have any pictures of her available? I am located about an hour and a half north of Fort Lauderdale. Possibly looking for a second horse.

My email is hautehunterjumper@gmail.com

She'd probably make nice Anglo-Arab babies, if she's got size and good jump.

Her sire is very pretty: http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-r...?refno=4063488
    Still Crazy After All These Years

donkeyman check your PMs
    Quote Originally Posted by The Centaurian View Post
    As far as I am concerned, leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyman View Post
    We are looking to rehome a mare by the name of Jive Cat, sire is Tactical Cat by Storm Cat. Bay and looks like a warmblood, 16.3, 8 years old. Needs to be a broodmare, comes into season like clockwork. This mare has been with an excellent trainer and is broke to death BUT, she will show you the top of the barn when you least expect it.
    Good luck - hope you find her a home and if she has foals I hope they find homes. Lots of hope there?

Lora:

thank you, interesting

Astraled: Thanks for the link. It is cool to see she was purchased as a weaning for $21,000; as a yearling for $30,000 and as a two year old in 2003 for $51,000. Not to shabby

It just seems like a bit of a miscommunication. The original post said "she will show you the top of the barn when you least expect it." I would not have thought that meant "playful on her back" and "simply bucks a little." I would have interpreted "show you the top of the barn" to mean nasty/scary rearing and/or the mare flipping over. I think it was just the terminology you used that made the under saddle problem sound different than it actually is.

She sounds like a bit of a tough mare when she's in season but not scary in a way that's likely to be heritable. Just a tough mare. With the right stallion cross to mellow out the temperment, her athleticism might end up being an asset rather than a detriment. It also sounds like she might benefit from a situation where coming into heat can be managed differently (not sure that depo would affect her long term changes of being a broodie but that's obviously the call of her owner/future owner).

I don't blame folks for not knowing what to think of the first post, but it sounds like you're just trying to do the right thing, give full disclosure, and find this mare a nice home. I hope she finds one, she sounds nice. Not my cup of tea but surely someone's!!! She is nicely bred.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I think from Laurierace's standpoint (and mine to an extent), we in the TB business catch a lot of crap and accusations for overbreeding our horses. Hate to say it, but when I worked for The Jockey Club, I'd have more questions from people wanting for me to explain the pedigree of a mare that someone gave to them (or they bought at kill auction) and ask me who they should breed her too (answer = um, don't). So, we sometimes have this knee-jerk reaction when someone mentions breeding a TB mare because you can't really do anything else with her. Esp. in the current economic climate. I don't think she meant to be mean, maybe just frustrated. I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong

Now, back to your mare. She sounds lovely. Have you tried Regumate? I had a TB mare (by a son of Storm Cat, coincidentally), who would have issues around estrus. Turns out, she was producing way too much estrogen and had an ovarian cyst. The large amounts of estrogen were causing issues with her connective tissues, which was making her nuchal ligament relax and throwing her back off. This was a bit unusual, but my point is that it may be worth ultrasounding her and pulling an estrogen when she is in heat, if you've not already done that. If she goes that well, the extra $60 might be worth it to rule something of that nature out before scrapping her as a show horse.

I know what you mean about land in FTL. That's why I left. Lived in Las Olas Isles and went k-12 to Nova in Davie and boarded my horse on a dirt lot. I about died when I went to college in KY and saw that horses actually eat grass. Loved riding my horse to the McDs with the corral in the back. Is that still there?

Anyway, good luck with the mare!

Las Olas great name.

Yes the corral is still there but no one really rides the trails anymore due to grid lock and development. We are near that area (about three miles) so you know what I mean about limited land.

Thank you for the suggestions. We have kept her on depo which does help some but her seasons are so strong that she comes in before we catch the next depo shot (ha). I will suggest to her owner the estrogen angle. That said, the mare will still be re-homed. Your right, I guess I made her sound tougher then she is. We just want her to get a great broodmare home where she can cross to a warmblood and be extra special. The vet suggested a baby may help the cycling.

If someone takes her and ultimately makes her a riding horse so be it. We just don't want her to end up in a bad place.