The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hay suppliers that ship to NC?

I've started looking for people who ship largish-quantities (several tons) of hay to North Carolina.
    Specifically a good Alfalfa mix (either orchard or timothy). Would love to know how to go about finding people who ship as online searches aren't turning anything specific.
    thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    I've started looking for people who ship largish-quantities (several tons) of hay to North Carolina.
    Specifically a good Alfalfa mix (either orchard or timothy). Would love to know how to go about finding people who ship as online searches aren't turning anything specific.
    thanks!!
    at the risk of sounding like advertising, we send about bi weekly loads in to both Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach....in NC itself I think Rusty Isley might deliver around that part of the world...he operates as Isley Dairy I think and he's good to deal with....

most hay growers don't deliver more than 50 miles and most hay traders set up the commercial vans to bring it to you

so it's a two step process for the buyer finding the hay...and having a commercial hauler bring it to you....which is why finding something that says "we deliver to NC" would be kind of hard....
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Being in the western corner of the state, I'm close enough to go get hay from Production Acres (Tamara & co.), but I've also gone in with friends to get loads from them and they have been a delight to work with, totally professional, and the hay is without exception exactly as advertised. I seriously encourage you to explore that.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Sent you a PM

Ok no I didn't 'cuz your PM box is full! haha

Was just gonna say that we got 2 truckloads of a Tim/Orch mix from Allan Mountain Hay in upstate NY a couple of summers ago during the drought for some of the horse folks here. The hay was very nice and the Allans were lovely to deal with. I think they had alfalfa or an alf mix at the time too.
    Elsie and Mike Allan 518.239.6975

We also used Borwegan Trucking at the recommendation of the Allans. 518.966.4772. Super nice folks and easy to deal with.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Thanks all--Thats kind of what I was finding (nobody really advertises "ships to NC!")

Coming from Maryland we're kind of spoiled--we had great hay right there in the state. Not finding this so much in NC

question, when commercial shippers are used, how do you get hay into the loft? Do they stack? I'm guessing no--
    Do you hire someone locally?

thanks for the full PT box notice--all fixed now

The trucking company we used would have required you to hire someone to help you. We were unloading off the semi into other people's trailers in a parking lot so our experience isn't exactly the norm But the driver was nice enough to help us move the hay even though it wasn't required of him to do so.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

question, when commercial shippers are used, how do you get hay into the loft? Do they stack? I'm guessing no--
    Do you hire someone locally?

thanks for the full PT box notice--all fixed now
    commerical shippers are required to

A. Show up
    B. Leave empty

everything else is on the receiving farm's end....also if you take more than <x> hours to unload a truck you are charged for the <x> time....that is to make up for the miles the trucker has missed while sitting still

best
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Thanks all--Thats kind of what I was finding (nobody really advertises "ships to NC!")

Coming from Maryland we're kind of spoiled--we had great hay right there in the state. Not finding this so much in NC

the state of NC has a E-hay type notice that they send out weekly <??> maybe...when we got ours again I can PM it to you...

I don't feed alfalfa. There is some pretty good hay here. There is a guy near Salisbury/Concord area who sells a great hay. He has an alfalfa/orchard mix. He name may be Nichols but I am not sure. I will try to find an old check entry.

Default try this

thanks!!

http://www.ncagr.gov/HayAlert/

try this for NC