The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cool Lets see your schooling attire :)

Tuck your shirt tails in!

As an overweight older lady, I don't tuck my shirt tails in at present. I usually wear a light weight tee shirt, full seat breeches, paddock boots and half chaps. I generally wear a light weight vented helmet (either Troxel or IRH). Sorry no pics as I'm generally at the barn by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Tuck your shirt tails in!
    I'm more concerned with the bit/bridle. I'd like to get Beautiful a new bit for Christmas: Does COTH do a gift exchange during the holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by shanky View Post
    I'm more concerned with the bit/bridle. I'd like to get Beautiful a new bit for Christmas: Does COTH do a gift exchange during the holidays?
    you know I was just thinking about switching back to a dee ring.

At our barn, we wear breeches, paddocks/half chaps or tall boots, polos (not baggy, tucked in) and helmets to school. Our trainer wants shirts tucked in so she can see what our bodies are doing. Some of us wear schooling helmets, others ride in their GPA or IRH helmets.

I do think going to a D ring would be good if you want to do hunter stuff. Kimberwickes on anything but ponies with very little people are pretty much a faux pas!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Gosh, I am so old that apparently safety has gone out of style.

Tucking your shirt tail in is not about displaying your muffin tops to their best advantage. You can save the untucked look for the street.

But in the saddle, you should tuck your shirt tails in because once in a while they catch on things- the cantle as you are cantering, for example, and strangle you or put you off balance, or the pommel, stirrup or other part of the saddle as you are getting off, in which case you might just be in for getting hung up or nekkid or both. Take your pic like that!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany! View Post
    you know I was just thinking about switching back to a dee ring.
    GREAT!! Hopefully I will draw your name in the Secret Santa exchange!!

THAT'S Schooling attire?? I must look like a frump in the saddle. You look respectable! I school in uhm... breeches, T-shirt (like royal blue/yellow etc), pale green schooling helmet, Ariat boots and Equine Coture half chaps with the design running up the side. Oi! Maybe I should actually start looking like a put together rider. Could be a poster model for people Tiffany.

As an aside, that facial expression is priceless. You look absolutely irritated to be having your picture taken!

Ride2Dreams- I'm even worse. How 'bout jeans, sneakers and a cut-out t-shirt- that's my summer attire. In public, like schooling a horse at a show, I'll trade the rattty t-shirt for a decent sleeveless shirt, and sometimes I'll even wear paddock boots...

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Ride2Dreams- I'm even worse. How 'bout jeans, sneakers and a cut-out t-shirt-
    Well that sounds safe...
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Breeches, field boots, belt, gloves, polo shirt, helmet.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Yeah, I'm in the total slob category. I'm going to get dirty cleaning stalls and riding, not make a fashion statement. I ride in jeans, t-shirt or sweatshirt, and my foot attire can range from sneakers to boots to flip flops, or sometimes nothing at all if I'm just plugging around the farm bareback.

I'm also really bad about head gear....I HATE helmets! I only wear one if I'm jumping.

I am of the "GM would rip me a new one" schooling attire. Baggy tee (never tucked in but not long enough to get caught on anything), IRH helmet with a blue iridescent stripe, and then either running pants with fringed Western chaps (black suede with silver accents ) or breeches and black suede half chaps. Ponytail flying everywhere.....I look like a mess!!! See picture in signature.

ETA: I always wear proper riding footwear, but my favorites are my Brit Middies that are hardly fashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Breeches, field boots, belt, gloves, polo shirt, helmet.
    Yeah, me too.

Or, in winter:

Breeches w/ underarmour, half chaps (boots don't fit w/ extra layers), silk or underarmour shirt, polo, wool sweater, belt, gloves, paddocks, helmet.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2Dreams View Post
    THAT'S Schooling attire?? I must look like a frump in the saddle.
    Ditto, you look great! My hair is all over the place and sticking out at odd angles under my helmet, I wear old t-shirts with green and brown horse snot usually rubbed up one side (especially on the boob), yoga stretchy pants, half chaps (which are actually very nice, love the Ariats) and my ancient paddock boots I've had for at least 13 years (not bad for factory seconds!).
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

It depends. Usually paddock boots, half chaps, breeches, and a filthy athletic shirt (because of horse dirt and slobbers)- Note the shirt often starts off clean. AND A HELMET!!! We are going to ride at the beach today and I'll probably wear a tank top- I am sure it will end up filthy. I know this was not wise, but the other day I hopped on in shorts and barefoot- on the positive side, I was wearing my helmet (This was just for a little 10 minute wtc in the sand arena).

After reading this though, I feel as though I should ask my barn owner (I just moved my horse there on the 1st of the month) if I should dress a little differently--I notice no one else is quite as slobby as me there, haah! My old coach from like 7 years ago used to make us tuck in our shirts...darn, here I was thinking I did good to get a new helmet so I'd be a good role model for the kiddies.
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    Gosh, I am so old that apparently safety has gone out of style.

In all my years of riding – decades, actually - I have never had an issue with an un-tucked top getting stuck on anything. I have had shirts that haven’t been comfortable to ride in – too long so you end up sitting on them, too short so they end up riding up, but never because they’ve gotten stuck on the cantle or pommel or anything while dismounting. Let’s face it, you don’t tuck in a sweater or a sweatshirt or vest or jacket or…

And now that the numerous decades are catching up to me, no one wants or needs to see me with my top tucked into my breeches.

Schooling attire for me is full seat breeches, ½ chaps/paddock boots, leather gloves, usually my helmet, neat and tidy top – not tucked in , jacket or vest as required. Sometimes I will wear jeans instead of breeches, but I find I never ride as effectively.

I steal all my husbands running gear. Nice fitted wickaway shirts with a zippered collar.