The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Young Horse help needed

Hi I am looking in the NJ area for someone who has experience working with difficult young horses. I have a three year old that I need to get working undersaddle and am looking for a place to send him to for 30 - 60 days. He has been free jumped, lunged, worked in side reins, stands on the cross ties but is a very nervous type horse (1/2 TB). I board at a farm with A show trainers who are on the road too much that the horses schedule isn't very consistent and he needs more attention. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Angela Sasso Chester County, Pa
    do a Google search

What is the other half? I have a full TB that doesn't have a nervous bone in his body, except when he thinks I'm going to forget to feed him.

I really wish people would stop propagating the myth that TBs are hot, wild, nervous wrecks, they aren't. The horse I have now and the last one I owned were/are DEAD heads. Hence no track for them. Oh yes and they were/are both chestnuts, the old one I bought as 3 year old, and the young one as a two year old. He made the cover of the October 08 Plaid Horse because my trainer is sitting on him waiting for a their Baby Green under saddle class in the rain - holding an open umbrella, which was handed to him from someone on the ground. The horse is four years old in that picture.

That said I can not help you on finding someone to put 30-60 days on him in NJ. I could if you were in Washington state.

Looks good, I am going to call for pricing. At first I was afraid of Chester County from all the negative threads but her site looks nice. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seal Harbor View Post
    What is the other half? I have a full TB that doesn't have a nervous bone in his body, except when he thinks I'm going to forget to feed him.

I really wish people would stop propagating the myth that TBs are hot, wild, nervous wrecks, they aren't. The horse I have now and the last one I owned were/are DEAD heads. Hence no track for them. Oh yes and they were/are both chestnuts, the old one I bought as 3 year old, and the young one as a two year old. He made the cover of the October 08 Plaid Horse because my trainer is sitting on him waiting for a their Baby Green under saddle class in the rain - holding an open umbrella, which was handed to him from someone on the ground. The horse is four years old in that picture.

That said I can not help you on finding someone to put 30-60 days on him in NJ. I could if you were in Washington state.
    I am glad your TB is not hot, this one is.

Quote Originally Posted by MyAlter0709 View Post
    Hi I am looking in the NJ area for someone who has experience working with difficult young horses. I have a three year old that I need to get working undersaddle and am looking for a place to send him to for 30 - 60 days. He has been free jumped, lunged, worked in side reins, stands on the cross ties but is a very nervous type horse (1/2 TB). I board at a farm with A show trainers who are on the road too much that the horses schedule isn't very consistent and he needs more attention. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Doug Payne in Oldwick..

Had my difficult horse there and 3 of my friends had him start their babies... you will not be sorry...he's a wonderful horsemen.. soft quiet and effective!!
    If you have any questions let me know!!

www.dpequestrian.com

Talking

He made the cover of the October 08 Plaid Horse because my trainer is sitting on him waiting for a their Baby Green under saddle class in the rain - holding an open umbrella, which was handed to him from someone on the ground. The horse is four years old in that picture.
    I would love to see that picture!! That sounds like my kind of horse.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Some TBs are tense and some aren't. It's a fact. You are very fortunate to have picked out two that are quiet and relaxed with no issues. I have been on both sides of that fence; having had tense OTTBs and ones that were deadheads like yours. I have had ones that never saw a racetrack and were a bit on the tense side and ones that ran numerous times that proved to be quiet and easy to show.

Would Fl be an option for you? If so email me: sugarpony@aol.com
    I have used an incredible trainer near our farm in Central Fl and would be happy to share his info with you.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

call devin ryan at river run farm in long valley new jersey. These types are his specialty from what i've seen. Pm me if you need his number, he has a website.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I would prefer to stay in the NJ, PA, NY area and Olwick is very close, as is Devin Ryan. I will be calling around today for pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by MintHillFarm View Post
    Some TBs are tense and some aren't. It's a fact. You are very fortunate to have picked out two that are quiet and relaxed with no issues. I have been on both sides of that fence; having had tense OTTBs and ones that were deadheads like yours. I have had ones that never saw a racetrack and were a bit on the tense side and ones that ran numerous times that proved to be quiet and easy to show.
    I absolutely agree. I was not trying to bash all TBs it's just that I have worked with many, many horses and when a TB is of the nervous type they are harder to work with - what's the analogy - kid gloves. I of course don't want the horse to be mismanaged which is why I want to get this started right. I know there are types of people who deal with "hot" horses better than others, that's what I am looking for. They have to be patient, you can't "get after" this horse like so many want to do. He will just freak out more. I need to make sure this person understands that. He is very sweet, to me at least, but most everyone else refuses to deal with him. I see talent there, or I wouldn't have bought him, but being a working gal I can't be there everyday to help clean his stall, turn him out, hold him for the farrier - all the things he needs right now. I do appreciate all the suggestions and will be calling today. Every horse is an individual and I realize that, I was just trying to give an example of the horses temperment. He is not dangerous and fortunately don't hold a grudge but he does need to have a job, being a pasture buddy for my old hunter just isn't realistic!

Kris Moyer in Telford PA. She is excellent and did a fantastic job starting a difficult young horse I know.

http://legacyfarm.homestead.com/

I second Doug Payne if we're talking about normal baby-horse issues. He isn't a hunter rider but a lovely, skilled, patient rider and you will get back a horse that was not only ridden but ridden the right way. I don't think he would take a horse with really insane issues, but a regular baby horse yes.

If we're talking really serious issues, there is a great "cowboy" in the South Jersey area. Very, very gentle and really does a good job. His name is Scotty, I don't know his last name but I can find out. He worked on a horse I know that I actually thought might be IMPOSSIBLE to break. Never known a more challenging animal in all my life. Scotty got right on and went to business and although it wasn't a quick process by any means, the horse is broke and is being ridden by his owner now. PM me if you want Scotty's contact info, I can get it.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by MyAlter0709 View Post
    I am glad your TB is not hot, this one is.
    I've had TWO full TBs that were dead heads. Yours is only half bred, I don't think it is the TB that causes the problem. In my 40+ years around horses the majority of the spooks and whack jobs have been warmbloods.

So please stop perpetuating the myth that TBs are hot. That particular horse might be hot but it has nothing to do with the fact that it is a half bred.

I've had TWO full TBs that were dead heads. Yours is only half bred, I don't think it is the TB that causes the problem. In my 40+ years around horses the majority of the spooks and whack jobs have been warmbloods.

So please stop perpetuating the myth that TBs are hot. That particular horse might be hot but it has nothing to do with the fact that it is a half bred.
    Except the other 1/2 isn't WB.... oops

Everyone else who is responding is being helpful. I have to wonder.... why are you responding, do you just like being contrary, your horses are wonderful... you're lucky - I am happy for you BUT in the real world, there are some whacko TBs as there are in any other breed and I got one and I want to do right by him. Please stop responding. Thanks

Uh.. some *horses* are tense and some are not. It's a fact. Being part or full TB is actually quite irrelevant. It's a stereotype. Your further statement qualifies this as the truth, in your own words. All horses are individuals.

--
    If the OP wants to have a successful partnership w/her horse, she'd be best served by looking at other factors than the horse being 1/2 TB.. such as turnout, feed, training and overall management. So OP, while I cannot suggest a trainer in NJ for you, I can suggest that before you send your kid away to camp that you make sure he has the best chance of being successful by examining the rest of your program. You might want to also consider that he may be late maturing and just not ready to be started quite yet. Good luck and best wishes.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Can we knock off the "perpetuating a myth" lecture.

I don't read that this OP is saying it's the edgy type BECAUSE is is a part TB. She just included that because, if she left off what kind of breeding is there, the first post would have asked HOW IS HE BRED.

This dead green youngster just happens to be a nervous type and that does figure into her best choice for a trainer to start him.

OP...do your trainers at the current barn have any ideas?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Not so much fortunate as having a pretty good eye and knowing when a horse is not fried in the brain. Some horses are tense, it has nothing to do with the breed.

I hope the OP finds someone who can deal with her half bred, get a good result, giving it confidence in itself so it can become a useful citizen.