The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question NEEDED: Saddle Detective--Who can identify this brand?

So I was cleaning out the tack room of my barn and uncovered an old close contact jumping saddle in very good condition. I cleaned it up well and was surprised by how nice the leather and stitching still were! It was made very well. It has a logo, but no other identification. Does anyone recognize this logo? Anyone familiar with the brand?

Thanks so much!!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...7/DSC02276.jpg
    Lesmiz_07

Your saddle appears to be an older Harry Dabbs saddle. They were sold by Eiser's-I think, and they were made in England...I have one similar to yours, I believe. It is a very dark brown, with a lighter brown (slight) knee roll-not a suede roll, it's smooth leather. I bought mine slightly used in 1990 for $650, and back then when they were new, they ran $800-$1100. My saddle still looks great after all this time-had it in the closet here for several years, brought it out last week to try on a horse I'm free leasing. Fits her perfectly!!!! They are a very nice saddle....

how come all I ever find in my closets and tack room, is DIRT! its just not fair!
    congrats on what looks to be a really cool find!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Thanks so much for the information!! From your lead I was able to establish that this is the Harry Dabbs Prix D Model saddle. The new ones which look identical are currently selling for $1,195.00 new or $800 used based on the sites I found, reviews said they are an amazing saddle and this one is like new, perfect billets and everything, not a scratch on the leather. I paid the barn owner $25 for the old dusty saddle...I had a hunch it would be a find !!

Thanks so very much!!
    Lesmiz_07

Glad I could help...Remember, too, most of the older saddles seem to be made of better quality leather than just about anything you'll find today. I was looking at new saddles (like Stubben and Crosby) last time I was at the tack shop, and the leather today seems stiffer, not as pliable or something, and the colors seem different-not as deep...I dunno, cheaper tanning methods?

Anyway, enjoy the saddle, I think you'll find it's super comfy

Yeah the leather on this is amazing, thick and soft and supple and the two tone is deep and rich! It probably hadn't been cleaned in years and years so I scrubbed it well and applied neatsfoot oil and it is as soft and supple as anything and fits my horse like a glove! I don't think it gets much better than that! Probably the best $25 I've ever spent lol
    Lesmiz_07