The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage in Boiling Springs, PA

My sister just moved to Boiling Springs, PA and although not a horsey person she called all excited about a beautiful farm right down the street called Deerfield or something close. Is that a farm of one of the COTHers?

You know, I'd been wondering the same thing when I first saw it (I'm in nearby Carlisle).
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

If you discover who it is please let me know. My sister is so close to them and they offer lessons according to my sister. If I spent next summer with her I would have a built in baby sitter and I could take some lessons.

"Boiling Springs"

What a... charming place name.

But I guess it's more elegant than "Springing Boils".

I used Google Earth to take a look at the town and there is the most beautiful spring in the center of town hence the name. It has crystal clear water but I doubt it is "boiling". Maybe just hot and humid.

Actually, despite Egontoast's disdain, it's a pretty little town & you will probably enjoy a visit. There are a surprising number of visiting dignitaries, royalty & movie stars - the fly fishing is literally among the best in the world. If you see someone who looks like they might be secret service in hip-waders . . . they probably are!

If you get a chance, try the food at the Boiling Springs Tavern, at the Rt. 174 end of the lake. Feel free to take a hike on the little path that runs past the lake, but don't go too far. That's the Appalachian Trail & it runs Maine to Georgia . . . you're at about the halfway point.

Boiling Springs (it's not hot - in fact its very cold - an underground stream that starts in upstate New York and bubbles (some would say boils) to the surface in this little town) is a pleasant little town filled with Victorian & older architecture & pleasant people.

I don't know who the dressage trainer is at Deerfields, but you should enjoy the visit, any way.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

^^^^ exactly Boiling Springs, PA is one of the nicest little spots you'd ever want to visit, and the flyfishing is utterly and unequivocally fantastic, absolutely first class fishing. I'll be out there fishing in a few days actually And having a beer (or five) at the Tavern I heart Boiling Springs. I can't help you with barns though... but if you want directions on any of the streams or what fly to use.....

I grew up not far from Boiling Springs. Funny aside, to keep it horse related, the Yellow Breeches Creek runs right by Boiling Springs; great fly fishing--I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere! Names of Penn. towns seem to lend themselves to jokes. But, it's a lovely place.

Don't know about dressage there, though.

Thanks everyone. My sister just transferred there from Belgium and she is loving the weather. Finally sunshine. She said that she might even take up riding which would do her good. And she has mentioned the fly-fishing. I have no idea how to do that but I guess I will learn.

despite Egontoast's disdain
    geesh. The name struck me funny.

I'm sure it's an amazing fantastical special place..

Quote Originally Posted by Weighaton View Post
    Thanks everyone. My sister just transferred there from Belgium and she is loving the weather. Finally sunshine. She said that she might even take up riding which would do her good. And she has mentioned the fly-fishing. I have no idea how to do that but I guess I will learn.
    Good news - there's an Orvis (I think its Orvis) store right on the lake & they do fly fishing lessons, as does a place in Carlisle. This area is serious about its fly fishing. Or, PM me & I'm sure my husband would like an excuse to go fishing & may volunteer to teach you . . .

And if the Deerfields thing doesn't work out for your sister & she really wants to take up riding, PM me for more suggestions - I can find her a nice, common-sense, get-you-comfortable-in-the-saddle-at-your-own-pace trainer to start her (probably on a sweet old gelding who showed through 2nd level in his day), and then when she's ready for more, he's the kind of guy who will help her find a good trainer in the discipline of her choice & who matches her needs/style! (He enjoys working with thinking riders who need guidance - or confidence.)

But if Deerfields does work out - report back. I just noticed the sign for the first time recently, and from the outside, it is beautiful. And close. I'd love to know more about them as trainers!

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    geesh. The name struck me funny.

I'm sure it's an amazing fantastical special place..
    You've got to get to eastern PA for the really funny names - Bird In Hand, Intercourse, places like that . . . which I don't know as well, but I'm sure are equally amazing fantastical special places.