The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Mrs. Stewart's Bluing for Socks, Markings, etc?

I've been using that stuff on my saddle pads, but just read in the Dover catalogue that you can use it on "socks, markings, manes, tails" etc. Jeez, if I'd known that, I'd have tried it this weekend...well, maybe not. A test-run is probably a better idea!

I assume you put a few drops in a bucket with regular shampoo?

Anyone have experience using this (rather than quicksilver, etc.) on the horses themselves?

Put it in the rinse water but be careful as you can end up with blue socks/star/blaze. Eons ago, you would see the odd grey horse with a blue tint to its whole body and worse, some would actually have blue streaks. Used to be the only thing that was used besides chalk. Follow the directions on the bottle...more is NOT better!!!LOL
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I haven't tried it on a horse yet, but I did use it in the rinse water on my Corgi. The first time worked fine, the second time I used a bit too much and she had a bluish tinge to her white collar. Ooops.

I used to use it on my flea bitten gray guy years ago and it made him SO shiny and white. I just mixed it with my handful of shampoo, rubbed it into his tail all sudsy (sp) until it wasn't blue anymore, it was dispersed, and I would leave his tail soaking with that while I did his entire body. Then I would go back, while his body was soaking w/shampoo, rinse his tail and put in conditioner. And so on and so on. Worked great and I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a body for my palomino's tail and socks for our show next weekend.

My go-to product for an APHA with plenty of white.

I scrub the white area with shampoo, then add a squirt of the bluing mixed with shampoo on my wash mit. Scrub that in on top of the shampoo and IMMEDIATELY ringe (or else you will have BLUE markings rather than white). You could also add it, diluted, to the wash bucket but I prefer a more direct application.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.