The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Preparing a tail for braiding

A question for all those braiders out there - how do you prefer tails to be prepared for you to braid? The reason I ask is that I have a pretty grey with a nice thick tail. It looks gorgeous braided, but I have trouble getting it into shape to be braided nicely. I shampoo and condition it regularly, and usually put some sort of a detangler in it.

When it comes time to braid, I know it is much more difficult with a slippery detangler. The problem is that his tail is big enough that it is very time consuming (and hard!) to comb out without a detangler. I can never seem to get it tangle-free enough to be easy to manage, yet not so slippery that it slides out of my hands.

I am trying to get a pro braider to come out and help me with my tail braids (which is a whole 'nother story) and would like my horse's tail to actually be in decent shape to braid. I don't want to waste her time when she comes, and would rather spend her time braiding than combing!

Thanks for any tricks, ideas or suggestions.

Detangler at the bottom of the tail only. You won't need detangler at the top because the hairs are much shorter. As soon as you get the bottom snarls out, you will find it much easier to comb the top. Be careful not to get any slippery stuff close to the dock and up. Use a different comb if needed.

To brush it out:

Separate into smaller sections, say 4 equal sections one by one at the bottom. Hold that first small section firmly in your hand. Start combing 2 inches above the bottom of that section, then when that is good, go further up until that whole section is detangled. Drop that section and then repeat with the remaining 3 sections.

I put detangler in the bottom and and take knots outwith my fingers and not with a brush. Then the day I have to braid it I shampoo at the botom and make sure that all the dust is out of the top where the bone is, and then I simply braid it.
    This is how it turns out
    http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r...barsby/isy.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wtsimm
    Sanswill Designs- custom fly bonnets and wither pads:
    http://www.flybonnets.com

Good to know I'm not that far off with what I've been doing! Thanks guys.