The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Is there such a thing as a "cool" (not melting under it...) dressage show coat?

After melting this weekend under my "new wool" dressage coat, I was wondering if those polyester/stretch dressage coats were cooler, as they claim to be.

What is your dressage coat made of?

How well does it breathe?

What does everyone think of "trendy" dressage coats...(mine will need to last a lifetime! Will the short one or the one that looks like a faux shadbelly be shunned in a few years?)

...like the new pikeur short one in dressage extensions...
    http://www.dressage-ext.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=6101

Smile How did your show go?

Hollyhobbies,

How did your show go? It was your 1st time at 2nd level and we are supportive of your courageous leap. Be kind to your fans!

Red face AWWW, thanks Whicker

We got BOTH our bronze medal qualifying scores at First Level (our goal is to eventually earn the bronze)!!! A 62.8% and a 64%! The rides felt GREAT and we knew we had nailed them! We even earned a Third Place on one of our First 3 tests!

If it hadn't been for my going off course (DUH!), dropping my boy out of his canter on the 10 m circle TWICE (DUH!), and blowing my walk pirouettes (DUH!!!), our Second Level Scores would have been good also...we earned a 57% and a 58%!

I know for many, these scores are horrible, but for my boy and I, they are a triumph! We're the pair who are steady and consistent. We've been working SO HARD and things really came together for us this weekend...lots of carrots for my sweet boy were given out. I am so blessed.

Thanks for askin', Whicker! We had a great time.

Talking Congratulations!

Hurrah! You accomplished the bronzes, with bookends! I hope you frame them! I am so proud of you!

You did well at the new level, too. The glitches are ones that will disappear as you get more comfortable with the tests and the speed that new movements come up. That the work itself is solid is going to make it much easier for your scores to improve. Please keep us posted on the next outing.

Did you enjoy the rest of the show? How was the progressive dinner? Is this a show that is enough fun to be worth the effort and expense?

Red face

Yes, it was a fun show. Thank goodness it wasn't too hot this weekend, window shopping at the vendors was awesome, watching the PSG tests was inspiring, drooling over the fancy Fresians, watching the auction was interesting...

Yes, you are right whicker, despite practicing the Second level test for weeks prior to the show, I just have so much going on in my head plus pesky nerves to contend with...I just couldn't keep it all together...I made it through 3/4 of each test before blowing it though! My horse felt awesome though...he is just the love of my life.

Lexington's a great venue b/c there's so much space. Moven is tough for me because warm-up is so tight--I always felt like I was running into someone and couldn't really warm-up well and got stressed. At Lexington, there's just TONS of rings, so if one's too crowded, you go to another one.

I had pros ask how my rides went and some ring-birdies compliment my position...so it was just a really positive experience.

We kept costs down by sharing a hotel room, getting my entry fee in on time, packing a cooler, and sticking to "WINDOW SHOPPING" only!!

Arista dressage coat is made to be very cool and breathable. I love it!

Congrats on your success! I have found that the new Romfh dressage coat is amazingly cool, made of some stretch microfiber blend and is lined in a wicking mesh sport liner. Also super dirt and slobber repellent! Nice coats, I belive VTO has them and they are super reasonable.

Wink

Thanks for the suggestions DA and trooper!

I should maybe add that I'm tall, so I need something that either comes in Long or has enough fabric to be "let out." Arista looks like it comes "long"...going to have to try that one on!

I'm still dreaming of one of those short, trendy, stretch dressage coats since I'll probably keep my classic long wool one for fall and spring...are those a no-go COTHer judges?