The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equicast and Perfect Hoof Wear Thread-share your experience please!

I want to learn how to 'cast' my horses. I need to learn this tool and just have been dragging my feet because I fear I will end up all stuck in glue and wrap.

SO, it would be helpful to me to have a little thread with tips, experiences, drawbacks, etc.

First of all, have you tried one, the other or both? Which do you prefer and why (I am not so much interested in which person you like better-just which product).

What about traction? I have VERY steep hills. VERY. Are there traction issues with either product?

If you are using Equicast do you use the 2",3" or 4"?

Do you apply glue?

Use pads under the casts? Something else?

Have you ridden in them?

How hard to get off?

Really just anything!

I am most curious about traction at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I want to learn how to 'cast' my horses. I need to learn this tool and just have been dragging my feet because I fear I will end up all stuck in glue and wrap.
    Put on some old clothing and go for it! Wear disposable gloves and keep your hands wet and the adhesive will not sticl to your hands.

First of all, have you tried one, the other or both? Which do you prefer and why (I am not so much interested in which person you like better-just which product).
    I have used Equicast maybe 10 times. Have not used PHW.

What about traction? I have VERY steep hills. VERY. Are there traction issues with either product?
    We are flat landers here so I have no experience with traction on very steep hills, sorry. I have to trailer 3 hours to train on hills, and I have not done that with a casted horse.

If you are using Equicast do you use the 2",3" or 4"?
    Depends on the size of hoof, but the 2" is by far the most useful and easy to work with. The 4" rolls are a BEAST and probably only suited for Draft hooves. I've used them on normal sized feet and found it to be much more difficult than the 2" rolls.

Do you apply glue?
    No. Never lost a wrap either - ever.

Use pads under the casts? Something else?
    No. Oh wait, yes I did. I have used EquiPak C/S (copper sulfate) I was less than pleased with the result. The EquiPak set up like concrete and the horse became acutely lame. I had to tear everything off and get the EquiPak out after just a couple of weeks.

Have you ridden in them?
    Yes, and had no problems or concerns.

How hard to get off?
    Very. But it depends on the amount of wear, how thick the casts were applied in the first place, and the type of rasp you have. I found that an aggressive cutting Heller Legend (black) cuts through pretty easily.

Extra info: PHW does not contain fiberglass in the weave, and is therefore more flexible. Equicast does contain fiberglass and sets up extremely hard - just like a cast on your broken arm. From the reports I have read, it just depends on the individual horse and environment as to which works better, and stays on better for the duration of the cycle.

I have used the PHW. It isn't that hard to learn to apply. Becareful going around the heels. You don't want any up on hte bulb or hair. I have just ridden in my pasture so I can't help you there. I have talked to some DAEPs you have used it a lot and probably could help you more.