The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Penny Oaks Prelim?

I just read on Penny Oaks website that they are extending the closing date.
    Which makes me really want to enter.... and its the 2nd closest place to home... (someone talk me out of it....)

I'm really familiar with the Hoosier Horse Park, but I've never been to a horse trial there.
    What would you expect to see the Prelim, or Training course?
    I'm assuming there is going to be a coffin,
    What to expect at the water?
    A jump, to a down bank into the water, to a jump in the water, up bank to another jump?
    Any other combinations?

We are trying to move back up to prelim after a rider(me) fall last October.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

I haven't ridden P there since 2005 but walked most of the T/P course there for the IEA HT.

Let's see--it is perfectly flat except for one small mound in the middle of a big field that had a narrow bullfinch for the Prelim course--sort of a "jump into space" question with the tall brush and a downhill landing. There is a really old bank complex that I'm not sure is used any more that had a pretty hefty drop, and when I did it there was some sort of skinny-ish question at the bottom, IIRC.

The water was a log-drop in, bank up to another fence one stride (?) away. Pretty straightforward P question. There is a full coffin, pretty average, on flat ground.

(I have to laugh at the part of me that is still able to say that--AND to once again thank my wonderful old horse, because my Prelim days are OVER and Training courses currently scare the HELL out of me)

Other than that, hmmm, one fairly large/upright corner, a smaller double bank that I think has replaced the old one, a couple of biggish tables, a brushy ditch-wall type thing that was in the dark part of the woods. Lots of twists and turns on the courses, usually, although this year's Novice course was not at all twisty.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks DW,
    That was what I was thinking. I've been there a lot over the years for different shows, pony club stuff, and some xc schoolings. I've just never gone for a HT yet. (who knows why. haha)

Now, how to tactfully present the idea to my mom.... She has the keys to the truck that could get me there.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

The Pan Am bank has been fixed and it was used for IEA. There is a set of drops coming into the big field. Sometimes the water has a jump in it, sometimes it does not.

There will be a prelim trakehner next to the water.