The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Leather- because I like the way it looks!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Leather only...I don't own a single nylon halter. Completely for safety reasons. In an emergency, I want the halter to break.
    "I never met a man I didn't like who liked horses." Will Rogers

I use leather both at home and shows.

Leather are much safer in my opinion because they break in an emergency. I sometimes use a nylon halter with a leather crown for turnout so my nice leather halters don't get destroyed in the mud.

Leather only, always, for safety reasons. I don't care if it breaks as long as the horse doesn't, the halter can be replaced. And I'm a snob, I don't wear polyester and don't expect the horse to wear nylon.

Yay for LEATHER!

I have seen so many horses get hurt when they pull back, and a nylon halter doesn't release . However - my horse, who likes to break halters for fun...enjoys ESPECIALLY to break the nice *expensive* ones I buy, not the cheapy ones.

My horse has a nylon halter with leather crown and a spare (old, has broken easily in the past but is still usable until he breaks the crownpiece again and it won't be long enough for me to punch another hole in) that's all leather. He's not turned out with one on. I don't like to turn out in all nylon halters, although I've never had a bad experience with them. It's just one less thing to worry about.

Leather but sometimes i buy a nylon halter and then i stop using it bc i relize i dont like it
    MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OkLurchers View Post
    Leather only...I don't own a single nylon halter. Completely for safety reasons. In an emergency, I want the halter to break.
    In an emergency I want a halter to stay intact.

G.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Nylon with breakaway strap for home (leading, tying, etc) and leather for shows. I used a leather halter for home, too, until my horse figured out how to take his halter off of the gate during turnout and chewed through a succession of leather halters. That is why we can't have nice things.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG