The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question nylon vs leather halters?

nylon vs leather halters?

Witch on do you use for at home and at shows?

I have nylon halters as backups; ones that hang on the fence for emergencies in all weather, all year. However, for the most part I use leather halters for everything except tying a horse who doesn't know how to tie. They are definitely all I use for trailering and showing.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Depends on the situation and what I am doing. Leather with a nameplate always for shows- it looks so much better. Leather for trailering. Nylon typically for bathing, even though nylon halters stretch when they get wet. Otherwise, it just depends what mood I'm in if it is just at home- I have so many halters!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I use leather halters only except for the yearling who wears a nylon halter with a breakaway leather crown peice b/c I'm having trouble finding a leather halter that fits her head.
    Leather is safer since it can break if a horse pulls back. Full nylon halters scare me since a horse can hang himself with one. We had a schoolie die at a barn I rode at as a kid because of a nylon halter.

ALWAYS leather for my horses. Nicer ones for shows, cheap leather ones for home. IMO nylon is dangerous - it just doesn't break. Re: tying - I'd much rather have a loose horse than one with a broken neck. Now that you can get leather ones for less than $20, it's a no-brainer for me.

For starters, our horses only wear halters when tied in stalls or when someone is doing something with them, trailering, practicing ground work, being groomed.

We use leather ONLY in the show ring for the nicer look. Leather is expensive, takes upkeep on a regular basis. I do not have the time to clean and condition leather halters all the time. Leather is less strong, so not trustworthy for use in tying up. Had one horse LEARN to be a halter puller when she flew back wearing a leather halter and it broke with very little pressure. Same horse was always trying their halter and rope tie for the rest of her life, just to see if it would break again. Was a real pain, she lived another 35 years!

We use Valhoma Nylon halters on all the horses, when we need a halter. Hardware is solid, dependable, nylon is soft, doubled for strength, they go thru the WASHING MACHINE easily, no extra upkeep needed.

I believe that a horse I tie up, needs to stay tied until I return to get him. I tie them using neckropes or belly ropes on the young horses, which will prevent any neck injuries if pulled on by the horse. All our horses go thru extensive training to know how to release pressure by moving forward, if rope is pulled. Halter is not anchored on the tie ropes, so no pull on head with it. Halter just aids in keeping ropes correctly placed on the horse.

I have seen the break-away stuff over the years and the horses it allows to get loose all the time. In my opinion, break-away stuff TEACHES halter pulling, a very bad habit.

None of our horses are turned out with halters, nothing to get snagged or caught on their body, that would need them to fight to get loose.

Leather.
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Always nice leather for shows. At home, I generally use nylon. The color coding allows me to keep track of whos halter I'm grabbing. With different ages and breeds, head sizes vary and the color coding makes things go quicker. During normal turnout, halters are hung outside the gate or on a hook at the barn on the way to the field.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Leather all the time, no matter where I am. Since I board, and there is no option for halter-less turnout, he goes out in leather and I generally don't tie him. Silly TB gelding does NOT need any more excuses to get stuck/hurt/hung up.

Leather, all the time, period.

While I'm sure some people may boohoo over a broken halter.. I'm much more concerned about a broken neck.

The ONLY time I have a nylon halter around is I like to leave a halter at my mare's pasture gate, for emergencies. They don't break down in weather like leather does.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Most of the time I use a nylon halter with leather breakaways on it. None of the horses at my barn are ever left in stalls or turned out with halters on, so I am only concerned with having a breakaway for when he's tied, and I think my breakaway halter is more likely to break than my leather.

Sometimes I'll trailer in the breakaway, most often in the leather, especially going to shows--nice to have the nameplate on it to identify him if he gets loose (or if the halter's stolen). Mostly my friend trailers my horse for me, and she has box stalls on her stock trailer, so I don't tie him anyway.

Bailing twine

Leather. I've got a lighter Quillin turnout halter for everyday and a heavier one (sale style?) for going away to shows. She's not turned out wearing one, but it hangs on the gate. I think I've had to clean/condition it once in the year I've had it.

There is a spare nylon halter in my locker, just in case the leather one breaks and I don't have a replacement crownpiece.

Nylon- easier to clean although I do have leather I haven't gotten around to actually feeling comfortable using them since both my horses are known to pull back once in a blue moon.

[QUOTE=mypaintwattie;4233549] Nylon typically for bathing, even though nylon halters stretch when they get wet.QUOTE]

My husband has a theory that water makes a horses head shrink not the halter stretch.

Always leather or nylon with a leather crown piece. I have been in too many situations where a halter breaking is the only thing that saved the horse. Not worth the risk. We do have a couple nylon halters at the other end of the property, just in case someone gets loose and we need to grab them. It holds up out in the weather better than leather.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Leather for shows... it looks much cleaner and nicer.

Nylon with a breakaway piece at home. My boy never wears a halter unless I'm doing something with him, except at night when he wears his grazing muzzle. I purposely bought a very used, cheap nylon halter with full (thin) leather crown at a used tack sale for him to wear with the muzzle, so that if it does get caught on something it will break easily.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    Leather for shows... it looks much cleaner and nicer.

Nylon with a breakaway piece at home. My boy never wears a halter unless I'm doing something with him, except at night when he wears his grazing muzzle. I purposely bought a very used, cheap nylon halter with full (thin) leather crown at a used tack sale for him to wear with the muzzle, so that if it does get caught on something it will break easily.
    Just in case you ever want to or need to switch to one of the deluxe muzzles that dont require a halter, theyre just all in one, Weaver Leather makes a muzzle that has a breakaway leather crown. Just FYI, theyre the only company that makes one as far as I know.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Nylon with leather breakaway. Nylon requires less care but the leather will break: best of both worlds!
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

Leather! Had a horrible trailer incident yesterday at a show when for an unknown reason horse spooked while getting hooked and starting to bolt backwards out the door. Thankfully the leather halter did its job and snapped and he was able to break free. And since I am anal I always travel with several halters....leather and nylon both for just in case.

Leather, just better quality for shows. I used nylon for years, but switched to leather last year and have no desire to go back.