The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those that DON'T do full board- what do you pay for extras?

I've mostly done full board (or horses at home) so but I've seen ads for a few barns that do field/pasture/or self care. Most places have said you can pay for the extras and I will obviously ask them specifically but I wanted to get a feel for what is average.

What do you pay for things like...

Blanketing

Holding for vet/farrier

Having someone grain (if you buy the grain yourself)

Care for an injury (simple like putting triple ointment on or something)

Care for serious injury (wrapping or hand walking)

Anything else you pay for or can think of!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaZ2race View Post
    I've mostly done full board (or horses at home) so but I've seen ads for a few barns that do field/pasture/or self care. Most places have said you can pay for the extras and I will obviously ask them specifically but I wanted to get a feel for what is average.

What do you pay for things like...

Blanketing

Holding for vet/farrier

Having someone grain (if you buy the grain yourself)

Care for an injury (simple like putting triple ointment on or something)

Care for serious injury (wrapping or hand walking)

Anything else you pay for or can think of!

Thanks
    I board at a place that's really full care, but most of those things are extra. Feeding/grain is included in board. Blanketing is between $10-20 a month; higher price is for those who don't come out regularly to check on their horses, lower end is for owners who do a lot themselves but barn owner still has to do some. Care for an injury is a daily price, I think--antibiotics and stuff like that were around $2 a day, I think, up to maybe $5 a day for more intensive care, like cold hosing or wrapping, etc. Holding for vet/farrier is $10 a pop. $10 a month for fly spray and fly mask, add another $10 for fly sheet/boots. $5 a month if you don't use SmartPaks for supplements (whole barn has pretty much switched to them, lots easier for BO).

I like that a la carte sorta system... works out well for my barn, at least.

Most of the barns I've been at don't offer that stuff. But usually it seems the ballpark range of $5/$10 for simple stuff, up to $25 for medical stuff.

I do pasture board myself, but I am out there every day, so I do my own blanketing, medicating, etc, etc.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Almost all of the full board places I've been at won't change blankets, hold for vet or farrier, apply masks or fly spray, won't medicate, etc.... and frankly sometimes I wondered if they even gave my horse a quick once over every day.

I'm doing "self care" now meaning I pay a basic fee for the stall/pasture usage, buy my own bedding, clean my own stall, buy my own feed. The irony is that it is actually top-notch care! They feed him and turn him out, but they also put his mask and fly spray on, check him over multiple times a day, know his habits inside and out, pick his stall before he comes in to eat, give supplements, meds, whatever.... it is awesome. I've been at one other private barn that was similar.

Frankly sometime the smaller places are better IMO, and the labels of "self care" vs "full care" can be deceiving.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.