The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Default SoCal Peeps! Come to the Silverlakes' ground-breaking PARTY this Saturday, 7/18!

Hey all. Norco, R.J. Brandes and the whole Oaks and soon-to-be Silverlakes team are holding a kickoff celebration/groundbreaking this Saturday, July 18.

This is a future show facility for **US** that also includes staging areas to reach MILES of trails, so it would be great if you, no matter what your discipline, could come by for a bit and show a still-skeptical community that there is a need for and support of this project.

Silverlakes will eventually be a 122-acre equestrian and sports park and will be home to all sorts of equine events, including, they hope, future Olympic trials. The kickoff event is free and will include refreshments, a children's fun zone and booths with information about the facility. It will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will be at Pikes Peak Park, 97 Sixth St., Norco. (That's not the actual Silverlakes site but another city park.)

For more information, call (951) 270-5632 or go to http://www.norco.ca.us/depts/silverlakes/default.asp
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Ahem! A shameless bump in hopes of getting the attention of the "just got home, looking at COTH" crowd in So Cal.

PLEASE come to this event if you can, and NO, I have no connection to anyone involved, other than wanting to see this facility embraced by a community that is already inclined to think that only the uber-wealthy, trust-fund kids ride in English saddles.

And, yeah, OK, you guys should come, too.

Seriously, the incredibly large horse-owning population in Norco has a HUGE hang-up about hunt seat and dressage riders. We're the "wine and cheese" set as far as they're concerned and have no business in "their" town.

As one of the ever-increasing number of H/Jers (and unintentional breeder of dressage horses!) whose family -- including the horses and her coach -- lives within the city limits, I'd really like to see this party -- AND the facility! -- succeed. So please come on by, we promise not to bite!
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Unfortunately I can't be there, but I am very excited that Silverlakes is getting under way! I hope the event is a great success.

Yes I will be there along with my daughter's trainer. I can't wait for the official groundbreaking.