The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magic Cushion hoof packing--anyone tried it?

A friend/fellow boarder just picked some of this up, and we are thinking that it might help the horses a bit, since we are now dealing with hard ground.

Has anyone used this product? If so, what were your results?
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    A friend/fellow boarder just picked some of this up, and we are thinking that it might help the horses a bit, since we are now dealing with hard ground.

Has anyone used this product? If so, what were your results?
    Great stuff! It does work. It tests though - so don't use it and go to rated shows.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Katie-Nicole View Post
    Great stuff! It does work. It tests though - so don't use it and go to rated shows.
    From the Magic Cushion Web Site (http://www.premierequinehealth.com/mchp.htm)

(underlining and bolding my emphasis)
    "Magic Cushion is formulated for use after hard work or the day before and all the days of athletic events. It is a natural product and will not test positive in any equine athletic discipline."

Premier Equine
    Health Products, LLC
    18070 Raymond Road
    Marysville, OH 43040
    Phone: (937) 642-9813
    Fax: (937) 642-7880
    Email: geldem@aol.com

I'm curious how it sets up for most people. I've been trying it for shows with harder footing. I had heard it sets up well and stays in but I haven't had any luck w/ that so far, I've had to vet wrap the hoof to keep it in much the way you would do other packing the night before. The consistency in the container is how it has stayed in the hoof for me. I would like to try it while showing, any suggestions?

It is not going to stay in their hoof without some sort of wrap or pad to hold it in place. Elastikon works very well.

It's great stuff.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Thanks, Rick, for the clarification!

I put some in my horse's feet last night, vetwrapped them, put some duct tape over it, and turned her out. I am going out to the barn shortly, and will be interested to see whether any of it stayed in (I'm sure the "boot" wore off with her walking around.)

Has anyone noticed any measurable results after using it??

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    It is not going to stay in their hoof without some sort of wrap or pad to hold it in place. Elastikon works very well.

It's great stuff.
    Ah, Elastikon! SOO pricey! (And sticky!) I'm sure it would do the trick, but then removing it might be a bit of a challenge...

Love it. Love it. Love it.

HATE trying to get it off the back of the pastern though!

After reading the website, I don't think I put enough in there (it didn't cover the frog.) Good to have instructions (there are none on the tub it came in.)

I can't wait to see what it looks like the day after the application

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeBayFarm View Post
    HATE trying to get it off the back of the pastern though!
    Try using alcohol

Currently I'm using it on a horse with an abscess. That's why I'm usuing the very pricey and very sticky Elastikon. It won't come off during overnight turnout even if it rains...

If you're using vet wrap/duct tape they'll usually walk out of the bandage, at least mine do. A little MC will stick to the foot if the bandage falls off but not enough to be therapeutic.

I have also used it on horses with ouchy feet from long trail rides, etc.

Slather the back of the pastern with Vaseline before applying the Magic Cushion and it won't stick to their hair.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Been using it for our TB. Shoer packs it in before putting leather pad and shoe on. Supposed to help keep moisture and yucky stuff from growing under pad. It seems to work well my only concern is that it doesn't seem to stay in place and squishes out where ever it can. I think after a week or so it hardens but not sure if it hardens in the right places? Kinda expensive

Quote Originally Posted by remedyroo View Post
    It seems to work well my only concern is that it doesn't seem to stay in place and squishes out where ever it can.
    Is your farrier using oakum in conjunction with the MC under the pad? If not, IME, he should. It will help keep the MC in place.
    I think after a week or so it hardens but not sure if it hardens in the right places?
    It depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    From the Magic Cushion Web Site (http://www.premierequinehealth.com/mchp.htm)

(underlining and bolding my emphasis)
    "Magic Cushion is formulated for use after hard work or the day before and all the days of athletic events. It is a natural product and will not test positive in any equine athletic discipline."

Premier Equine
    Health Products, LLC
    18070 Raymond Road
    Marysville, OH 43040
    Phone: (937) 642-9813
    Fax: (937) 642-7880
    Email: geldem@aol.com

Per my conversation with the developer he has not, as of today, provided ME with a F.E.I. conformation that Magic Cushion doen't test.

Thus my F.E.I. horses go without ! I used to but $2k worth every six months.

Mr. Burten, Could you please tell me what "oakum" is? and why should it be inconjuction with the MC? Will it help it stay in place?

Thank you

My hunter uses it under his leather pads. I was tested last year while using it and all was fine. The site clearly indicates it does not test but a straight answer from a human from the company would be a comfort. I feel, after my experience, that it is OK.

I was under the impression that it contains capsaicin, which if it gets into the horse's system (if there is a crack in the frog or the skin) that it could test.

Could be wrong, but I seem to remember that from the discussions about the Olympic horses who tested for capsaicin.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

it is used on the racetrack all the time, never had a bad test .(yet)

Quote Originally Posted by remedyroo View Post
    Mr. Burten, Could you please tell me what "oakum" is? and why should it be inconjuction with the MC? Will it help it stay in place?

Thank you
    Oakum is loosely twisted hemp or jute fiber, impregnated with tar or a tar derivative. It used to be a mainstay in the shipbuilder's and plumber's tool and repair box.

Its used in conjunction with many "soft" hoof packings such as Forshner's, Hawthorn's, Pine Tar and Venice Turpentine because it forms a 'matrix' that holds the other product in place.