The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My first legit dress boots :)

Sooo, basically, I got a pair of dress boots off craigslist for, like, 20 bucks. I can barely get them on, they're cheap, but they got me through my first few recognized shows.

The parental units informed me today that they'd be able to help me out and that there was a little room in the budget for new dress boots .

I know, obviously, if you get super cheap ones they probably won't be the best, and I do understand that they're all gonna be pricey, but I figured I'd inquire. What do yall think the best boot for the money is? I'm willing to add my money to drop some bucks, but I don't need the very best -- just the best for a midlevel cost.

So please, please inform me .

I'm really excited!!! Hahaha.

hey! Congrats! A few years ago I needed a quick pair of dress boots and bought some Ariats. I don't know how they are priced now, but they held up well, were not too tough to break in, the foot is still very comfy, and they didn't break the bank.

That's awesome! I just recently purchased these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=264416564

They are super comfy, fit well, and I LOVE the zip back. Will never use boot pulls again!

Best Wishes

thanks guys . I'm officially starting the search!!!

Smile

Nanerpus - I know you mean well but if the OP is looking for boots to show dressage she needs to look for Dress boots, the boots you link to are nice but they are field boots. Field boots (with the laces) are more common in Jumping events. That said, you can show in a dressage show with field boots (as I did the past 2 shows when my zippers broke on my dress boots) but if you are setting out to buy dressage boots I would stick with dress boots.

I love the look of these:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...38715/cn/1408/

If you want to spend a *little* bit extra, this pair is very nice-
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/dublin-...38537/cn/1408/
    I know now, the place that I was trying to reach, was you, right here in front of me

What size shoe/calf are you? I have about 10 pairs at our farm that are slightly used (koenigs, etc.) that we are willing to sell for anything!

I have the Ovation boot, and while it has worn well, I don't know that I would really want it as my show boot. It has a very cheap look to it on the outside and the the leather is not really great. I've had my pair for about 2 years, and it's held up well, but just not the prettiest boot. I use it for schooling in. My trainer thinks that I'm nuts for wearing a tall boot in this heat, but with the zippers, they are easier to get on and off than my half-chaps were.

I'm looking at the Mountain Horse zip-up dress boots. I tried them on in the Dover store and they were a nice boot, very comfortable and well worth the money. It was the only "off-rack" boot that would fit my long legs, small foot and enormous calves.

Good luck!
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Alot of people seem to be having good sucess with the Petries from kittybee on E bay. I was looking into Konigs ordered direct from Europe and they seem to be a lot cheaper but you do have to know your size.

Capitol, you have a PM

Sorry to hijack-
    Blkarab, are you talking about the classic high rider?
    http://www.victorycanter.com/product...roductid=19986

I have a pair and I love them- they are very comfy although the footbed area took a while to really break in, and the extra high spanish tops are very flattering on my less-then-svelte legs. My one gripe is that they do not shine up- the leather is more of a 'brushed' than 'smooth', if that makes sense. May not be much of a concern for showing as I also think they look like a higher end boot overall, but if you're a fan of the spit shine on show day, they won't do.
    OP, you may want to try them out anyway- I have 'normal' feet and I find the foot in mine a bit wide- maybe why it took so long for the footbed to get comfy for me!

No-Ruby,

That doesn't look like the pair I have. The ovations that I own are more "fat" looking through the calf and don't have that much of a spanish top. I think mine are a couple of years old now, so they may have changed them. My footbed wasn't that comfy, so I added inserts and the leather quality is really not that great. The are suitable for schooling in though, and pretty comfy to wear around the barn since I added the inserts. I would probably order another pair for "everyday" wear, but if I was looking for a show boot, I would probably go with Petries or the Mountain Horse.

ETA---OOPS-just really noticed the boot in the link...

Ruby, that is what I'm looking at for my show boot! Good to know that they wear well. I was really pleased with what I tried on in the store. I would rather have a zip-up boot than a pull-on. I had gotten stuck in a boot a couple of years back, and nearly passed out, it hurt so bad, and scared the crap out of me too! It's too bad that they don't shine up, but if they are comfy, then who cares!
    Last edited by Blkarab; Jul. 15, 2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: oops-reread previous post
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Nanerpus - I know you mean well but if the OP is looking for boots to show dressage she needs to look for Dress boots, the boots you link to are nice but they are field boots. Field boots (with the laces) are more common in Jumping events. That said, you can show in a dressage show with field boots (as I did the past 2 shows when my zippers broke on my dress boots) but if you are setting out to buy dressage boots I would stick with dress boots.
    Fail! Sorry bout that.

I have had really good luck with the Mountain Horse dress boot, good price and has held up really well for schooling and showing.

What, pray tell, is your budget?

I have these-
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...l.asp?KEY=6088
    and LOVE them.
    I'm on my second pair after a slight mishap that entails my dad accidentally tossing them in the garbage

The only thing I don't like about them is the lack of spanish cut top, but other than that. With either pair, I have yet to run into a zipper problem.
    I know now, the place that I was trying to reach, was you, right here in front of me

Kind of resurrecting this thead and don't feel too bad about a sort-of-hijak...

How much break in should dress boots have? I have only ridden in a borrowed pair of dress boots once and they were super stiff through the leg and just a little more flexible in the ankle. Otherwise, I have field boots (just getting into dressage).

I went to the store yesterday and tried on a pair for fun and to pass time while my mom was browsing for much shoes, and the leather was super-supple...alot closer to those soft supple field boots everyone seems to be getting...Ariat Monacos, MH Supremes, etc. Which is more correct?

I thought that dress boots were supposed to be stiffer than field boots, but I may be wrong.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    Sorry to hijack-
    Blkarab, are you talking about the classic high rider?
    http://www.victorycanter.com/product...roductid=19986
    These are the boots I have too! I love them. I was able to buy a pair this past winter at Saddlery Liquidators in Haymarket, VA during their 25% sale.

Thanks so much, guys! OK, I have an update. I have a wide foot, therefore I cannot wear Ariats or narrower. In field boots, I had to go Grand Prix Elite.

sooooo... now wide footed boots?

I am about to place my order for custom Konigs, I know what you must be thinking and no I am not paying out the nose! 530 for full customs, shipping and zippers. If you are off the rack, which they have thousands of size combinations, it will be even less. Pm me if you want the website. It does take 8 weeks for full customs, and it's not their high end model, but if you can't afford those than these are worth a look.