The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tennesee Walkers??

Since TWHs do not really fit into hunters, jumpers or dressage (which I DO know a bit about) I thought the trail folks might be the ones who would know about Tennesee Walkers. We have this supposed QH on trial for my 11 YO daughter. She does the 4H fun shows, has no interest in showing per se. Mostly she likes the 4H trail rides. Her Appy mare went blind this year and we saw an ad for this "QH" in need of a home. He was very sweet and not built like any QH I have ever seen, so I had my doubts he was a QH from the get go. The folks were willing to let him out on trial and he was good with her on the intial visit...so he came home this week. Weeeellll my initial suspicions that he was no QH were confirmed when Dear Hubby decided to ride him and see how he went. We had walk, what looked durn like a running walk, then trot and kind of a lope. DH reported a comfy lope once he GOT there, was just hard to get him to do so. We took the kid on on a ride today. Now the previous Appy mare she had was always poking behind the other QHs....she was a lazy thing.......so it was with some humor when we got dusted by her on this little 15H horse. He certainly is part mountain goat on the trails to boot. On some of the 4H rides the kids do have to jump downed trees though. Knowing NOTHING about TWHs is there any breed standard on how well they jump? I certainly don't expect she would be doing any hunter flat classes in 4H on a TWH but if she only did the over fences classes.......again......on the whole do they jump? I imagine she would not have an issue with the Trail class!!!

Not entirely sure what the question is:
    All I can say is two friends of mine ride their reg TWHs in 50s and always do well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Barring a lameness problem etc most horses can jump 2 feet easily, more if they have a lion chasing them!

But seriously, "good" jumpers have a talent for jumping higher and/or with very nice form, but I've never met a breed of horse that couldn't hop over small obstacles. Lots of people do obstacle/trail type work with TWH and that would include jumping small obstacles (cross rails, hay bales, barrels, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by rainechyldes View Post
    Not entirely sure what the question is:
    All I can say is two friends of mine ride their reg TWHs in 50s and always do well.
    The question as posted is can they jump? And yes, it has to be half decently as some of the trees down on these trails are of good size to an 11 YO kid.......so I would say 2'6....which is not a crossrail.

Yes they can jump. They are still a horse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wENhGoMw3IWhat do you think of that....that was just a quick search. Try typingjumping twh on Google search.Good Luck. I love my mare. Your horse should be fine for your purposes. Yes they can jump, drive, run barrels, poles, you name it....they can do it.

He he. In spite of the theory that any horse can jump...I have met my share than can't jump a stick. Or won't anyway....which amounts to the same thing...though many of them were built down on the forehand (think halter horse QH/Paint) and it cannot be said this guy has a neckset that is too low!! Quite the opposite...though the croup is a lot steeper than I am used to in a horse.

My first pony was a TWH. He won the hilltopper portion of the NA Junior Field Hunter championship last year. I (oh so many years ago!) regularly jumped him 3'-3'6" & he competed with a number of girls over the years at BN & N eventing, up the PC levels & so on.

He was a fun, FUN horse & safe as the day is long. I'd take another just like him in a heart beat, big head and all.

The TWHBEA has a Versatility Program that included jumps up to 2'6". (Note that this is not a "breed standard" item (the TWHBEA does not have a breed standard). It is a standard in a program that contains, in addition to Jumping, Barrel Racing, Dressage, etc.) This is not going to produce any Show Jumping gold medals but is appropriate for the breed and most riders.

It is false that "any horse can jump." Some lack the conformation or mental focus to do so safely (for horse and rider). Jumping a horse not suited to it will ultimately produce a negative result.

I have to say that passing off a Walker as a QH is a first!

G.

I had a lady down the street that has 2 Walkers come look at him yesterday..she chuckled and said yup.....he definitely does look like a Walker and *not* a QH! On the head thing....she chuckled again and said he has a big head for a QH but a reasonably pretty one by Walker standards!
    He has a ranch brand on his butt so my guess is someone assumed that because he came off of a ranch he was a QH.

I've got a TWH gelding that is fantastic. He was very underweight (between a 1 and a 2) and out of shape when we got him so we're still trying to figure him out. He does a regular walk, a running walk, a pace (lateral), he'll trot at liberty, does a half shuffling kind of canter, a beautiful rolling canter and will gallop if asked for it. I think he can jump a bit too. We'll find out at this weekend's gymkhana in the scurry race - only 12 inch jumps so he should be able to hop over them. My daughter has started training him for gymkhanas and he's actually faster on the flat than her regular gaming horse Jet, a Mustang. Jet is more flexible but Montero is getting there with regular work. I took him on a 10 mile trail ride and he did fabulous. He hopped over a couple of small logs. He's got a wonderful disposition and is an absolute pleasure to have around.

He could be a Foxtrotter, too. Lots of foxtrotters are stocky built, around here they are quite popular and are used for ranch work and forest service work.

Sarah

Or he could be a Standardbred Pacer.

Who cares as long as your child is safe and happy??
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

If you've got him home right now, why not pull in a trainer you trust and see what he's capable of? I know a lot of folks with gaited horses that jump well, but I agree with those that have said that not all horses are suitable for jumping. My TWH, the few times I tried (and I love to jump out on trail), proved that jumping is so not his thing.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

He could be many things, something gaited in his wood pile, huh?

The only thing about gaited is the canter can be a little lateral, so when it comes to being clean behind over jumps- they can get in a pickle- the hinds want to sorta hop together and land together- BONK If you can establish a solid, rhythmic canter, you may be ok jumping, depends on the individual...regardless, groundpole work can help any horse sort out where his feet are.

A pic may be helpful. A vidio would be even better If there is an overstride when walking that is a big 'clue'... If the back foot falls 'in front' of the front foot print, rather than 'in' it. What do the foot falls 'look' like when you observe the horse 'trotting'? A walker 'gaiting' would 'look' very different from another horses' movement.

Yup.....he has the overstride at the walk.
    My farrier came to do our horses this week. (This guy on trial was seriously overdue). Before I even told him the story of the dude he looked in the stall and said "oh look, you got a Walker........".
    We have not had a chance to school him over any jumps yet as we had some other problems with him this week. He is here on trial, so he is (*was*) in a private paddock for turnout. The first couple days he was here were OK, but then he started fence running, yelling and got sooo wound up he was unrideable for not only my kid....he would even bolt with my hubby or I up for the pasture fence with the other horses. Intially I was ready to take him back then and there since he was on trial/definitely not suitable as a kid horse.............then it occurred to me that maybe the isolation was driving him bonkers.....so I called his owner and told her what was up.......said I had 2 options...one was bring him back, the other was to turn him out with other horses and see if that helped to settle him but that there was a risk of him getting kicked and he is only here on trial. They are getting out of horses/sold all other horses and all stuff.....tack, hay, everything.....so she wanted me to try and make this work/OK'd turning him out with our other horses. After a couple days of turnout he settled right down and is back to acting like a sane horse again as of our first time back in the saddle yesterday........

I'm glad you gave him a chance. Would love to hear how the ride went yesterday...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

As to the buddy bolting: rode him a couple times after being turned out with the others a couple times/ First we rode him 2 days WITH his new pasture buddies and he was fine. Last night I tried taking him with another horse from the other field but NOT one of his new buddies. He was looking a bit upset at first and looked like he was thinking about a bolt but then turned and followed the new horse. A couple times on that ride he made a half hearted try for the fence/gate towards his new buddies but with a correction he gave it up....so is no longer bonkers...just mildly buddy sour. As to the jumping: he can (ha ha). WE bought him as a previous ranch horse. Ya think he would have crossed water on a ranch...........but acted like he never saw it before trying to get him to cross our creek. Finally he decided to jump it rather than walk through it. We need to work on that...............

It sounds like you answered your own question....yes he can jump....LOL...at least with proper motivation. I have learned people will tell you everything to sell/place a horse. It could be he never had to cross water...or he was never a ranch horse, or he just won't do it with you...LOL....You will fix it...

Have fun with him. He seems like a neat horse. I am enjoying my new girl.

Not ALL horses can jump as others have pointed out but I fox hunted a walker for a couple of years and he kept up with the best of them. Jumps ran from two nine to three six at that particular club.
    I taught him to trot before we started jumping .
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.