The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin-off: I am frustrated with these Old Macs

So I have this rescue horse I ride now and again and he's barefoot. I have Old Mac's G2 for him which were good on our short rides out. The farrier came yesterday. He trimmed his very long feet to fit the boots. Today we took him on a longer ride, thru streams, he was sweaty. The rear boots turned and he seemed to interfere on his rear hoofs. The outsides of the inner facing parts are rubbed. I stayed behind him and couldn't see him interfering, but I caught the boots turning around several times. No matter how tight I made them, they kept turning until I finally took them off. Frustrated. I will try him without rear boots, otherwise sign me

"Ready for shoes".
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

You may want to re-measure him after his trim. If he wasn't properly trimmed for a while, it's possible that there was a lot of extra hoof wall and the boots are now too big. You do have to stay pretty close to the recommended size ranges with the Old Macs. I used the originals for years, and recently switched to Renegades because they are so much easier to put on and take off.

http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/

If you're sure the sizing is right, check the velcro straps. It's easy for the strap that crosses to get caught in the boot, and not be pulled tight enough.

Shoes are always an option, but I definitely appreciate writing the check to my farrier for a trim v. shoes, so it may be worth trying a little more with the boots

Also, are you sure you need hind boots? I've ridden lots of rocky trails, and very rarely used boots on the hinds.

Good luck!

I've had this trouble sometimes when I use a pad. The boots are snug, but the pad changes the fit a bit.

It is super annoying when the boots turn.

Yes, I had pads in there. I am going to try him w/o the rear boots. Maybe if his hoof grows out a bit they will fit better. This is also a new farrier and he took off a lot of flare.

If he took off a lot of flare, then it is likely the boots are now too wide. The G2's aren't quite as wide as the Original OM's, but they are wider than most other boot patterns. Also, hind feet tend to be narrower than fronts. Several of my horses have taken a smaller boot in back than in front. I did have one horse who needed boots on the hinds to be comfortable on the trails, so if you need hind protection, you need it.

I've seen people talking about wrapping the outside of the hoof with athletic tape to keep the Gloves on better. I wonder if doing something similar will get the G2's to fit a bit better until you decide what you want to do.

Default About pads

I've found that the nice thick treads on the OM and G2 boots lessen the need for a pad. I'm not a big fan of pads in boots anyway and only like to use them for short periods when the horse is recovering from an abscess or a bout of laminitis.

I do like that thick tread in comparison to some other boot styles. It's my boot of choice for flat footed horses, since I've found they usually go well in them without pads, where the same horse needs a pad to go comfortably in the Easyboot styles. My own opinion.
    Last edited by matryoshka; Jul. 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks, I'll ride him without tomarrow for about an hour, then try wrapping. Since these boots fit last year, although we didn't ride long or thru water, I bet the new farrier took off more than the last one. I did, however , ask him to do more than he did with his first trim.