The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone tried these stirrup irons?

I was thinking about trying the "offset" stirrup irons, does anyone on here have any opinions about them? I am finding it a little harder to keep my stirrups and my ankle is VERY flexible, so I thought these might help. Here is a link to what I mean:

http://www.toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?p=88-1518-4&k=87297

I have tried the flexi-irons and hate them, they make my already flexible ankles go all over and I never feel like I have a solid base.

Also, I was thinking about getting some slightly more interesting looking irons, but was told they might not be legal in dressage. Can't imagine anyone would care, but do you think there would be a problem with engraved irons like these:

http://www.southwestsporthorse.com/s...ver_Beads.html

I'm curious to see what kind of responses you get. I've been considering offset irons too.

larissawcox Guest

Thumbs up off-set stirrup irons

Hi,

I've been using off-set stirrups on my dressage saddle for years. I use them with the angle towards the horse, so the longer part is to the outside, so the bar is flat when hanging from the leather. I used to curl my ankle inwards while I was riding, so only the outside part of the foot was touching the stirrup bar. Then again, on my round Arabian, the stirrup never hung flat, but was tilted in. These stirrups enabled me to have my middle and lower calf in contact with my horse, without straining my ankle or losing contact with the feel of the whole stirrup. I started using them on my wide Hanoverian too, when I had such success with them on my Arab. When I started my young Oldenburg, I realized however, the stirrups were not as beneficial as on my wider horses. He was young and not well developed like my older more experienced dressage horses. The stirrups did not hang flat on his sides, but rather hung towards the outside. Even now, when he is older, he is still a very lean horse with flatter sides. Off-set stirrups would have been more of a hindrance to me on him. Therefore, I would recommend these for riders whose mount is rather wide or round, or for riders who have a short leg, whose calf reaches to the widest part of the horse. For leaner horses who have relatively flat sides, or for very tall riders, I think regular set stirrups would be the better choice.

Thanks Larissa! I do have a very lean TB, but I am also 5'2" so I've got the short leg thing going on! I may try to find a cheap, used pair just so I can see if I like them or not.

Anyone who knows about rules know if the engraved stirrups would get me in trouble in dressage? I know I can always switch them for dressage, but it would be nice to just ride in the same stirrups each time

larissawcox Guest

Question Fancy Stirrups

According to the 2006 USEF rule book which I've been looking over, there is nothing that states what type of stirrups that are (or not) allowed.

Article DR-Dressage 121 states:

"An English type saddle with stirrups is compulsory for Federation and USDF tests."

"A Dressage saddle which must be close to the horse and have long, near-vertical flaps and stirrups is compulsory for FEI tests."

If you are still unsure, I would phone USEF 859-258-2472

larissawcox Guest

Here's a link to the Stubben stirrups I use: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1247606561