The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare with strong heat

My friend has an OTTB mare that is a shameless hussy when she is in heat. She has to be dragged in from turnout because she is busy peeing, dragged out of her stall, dragged down the aisle. She stops and pees when you turn her around in the crossties, squats when you brush her, when you do her feet, unload her from a trailer, squats when you tack her up, hussies her way around to the indoor, pees on the way to the mounting block, squats when you get on, and will stop when you use your whip or kick to squat and pee.

She's fine when she gets going and she never gets grouchy but it gets old. I don't think Regumate would be an option for the owner (expensive) but she would like to hear about other options.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Jul. 12, 2009 at 09:17 PM.

There are lots of other options to medically control this that can be cost effective. Regumate is not too terribly expensive.

This really is something she should go over with the vet. There could be a reason the mare has such intense symptoms...like a tumor on her ovaries, etc.

Some mares are just slutty. I own one. I have always been happy to just let her be, because filling her with artificial hormones made me nervous.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

What other options are there? Any supplements?

My BO uses Mare Magic, which I think is just raspberry leaves. My mare isn't too marey, so I have never used it myself - just passing along the information second hand!
    Last edited by Buffyblue; Jul. 13, 2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Might be called Moody Mare ...?
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyblue View Post
    My BO uses Mare Magic, which I think is just raspberry leaves. My mare isn't too marey, so I have never used it myself - just passing along the information second hand!
    Same, I haven't had any problems with my mare, but the hunter trainer where I board my horse has had great results with the raspberry leaves.

A friends mare is worse than this and they give her what would be the equivalent of a birth control shot. And one of my trainers mares we put a special bead in her shoulder. I don't remember what it was called.

Ask the vet about "the marble". Some say it works, others don't.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I find it odd that we don't allow stallions to stand in the cross ties etc. with erections, but if the mare squats and pees everywhere, it's not her fault.

Personally, I don't permit mares to behave this way, and by consistent, sometimes strong corrections, my mares don't.

I prefer that horses, mares and stallions, keep their mind on me, not on their sexual desires.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

A vet really should reach in there and check things out. A palp and ultrasound are damn cheap in the grand scheme of diagnostics.

Diet changes can help. A low starch/high fat diet has been show anecdotally to help some mares.

Magnesium supplementation, & Vit E. RRL does help some mares, but you can get it a heck of a lot cheaper than Mare Magic. (any bulk herb place)

Biorelease Altrenogest is a shot that can be given IM just once or twice a month, without the dangers of handling Regumate, but with similar effect. I want to say I paid less than $30 for two doses last year--I was using it for breeding, and using the 10 or 12 day one... vet was looking into using it on racing fillies because it was so much more economical and less dangerous to the humans.

Spaying is becoming a more reasonable option.

Interesting observation about *behaviour* above. Something to think about. My stallion does not exhibit sexual behaviour when wearing anything but his breeding halter. He may call and strut all he wants in turnout, but is not allowed to 'trash talk' when being led or worked. It is an interesting twist to think that a mare can and should be handled the same way.

My marey-mares are all broodies, so I can't blame them one bit. It's their mission in life.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default You may want to consider Depo

Please discuss with your vet first, but my mare has had similar symptoms (though not as severe), but one a month a flood gate would open and the flirting with the ponies would commence.

I put her on Depo -- a type of birth control, that has eased her temperment, and has shut down her need to let the flood gates open. My vet recommended because it isn't as severe as Regumate. She gets a shot once a month.

Hope this helps.