The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show Jacket Colors

Towards the end of this season and next season, I'm going to be showing a really dark bay(almost black), a light dappled grey, and a deep chestnut. I've always wanted a grey jacket but I don't know what color horse it would look ok with....I have a nice navy jacket but I want to try a different color for once! So, what color jackets would look good on these horses? (and I'll be showing hunters on the grey and chestnut and jumpers/eq on the dark bay if that makes a difference...)

I personally think that the best match for all of those colors would be hunter green! Of course, its up to you. I know most people dont really like hunter green coats. My other choices would be black, maybe a lighter brownish/greyish coat, or a light grey coat.

very dark charcoal would look nice. or even a black with a pretty plaid or windowpane i'd also look into an olivey-tan.

my FAV hunt coat is a pretty tan but it looks olive-y in some lights. in others it looks more tan.

here you can kind of see the olive and brownish tones
    http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...7_575170_n.jpg

but here you can see the taupey and grey undertones
    http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...04_6133712.jpg

my pony isn't a full chestnut, but honestly it doesn't look half bad on a full chestnut either, and i'm very picky about colors too. normally i say NO brown on a chestnut, but i think it's just the right shade.

i think a deep charcoal also looks nice.
    my grey coat is more of a medium charcoal slate color, but im standing near his face with the chestnut part so you can kind of see what they look like nexto each other
    http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...42_2908185.jpg

thats also right after hes been clipped. honestly i dont think my jacket would look awesome on a full firey chestnut. i think something darker maybe with a hint of blue undertones or plaid might look nicer.

i'm not a huge fan of olive coats, but just the right shade looks FANTASTIC on chestnuts and greys. bays, too.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Navy - it goes with everything... and I second hunter green.

Navy or Black. Can't go wrong.

I would say a dark charcoal or just stick with navy. I also like the one superpony posted, but I'm not sure how it would look on all three horses. I personally hate hunter green coats. But that's just me

I get bored w/ navy all the time too and like to mix it up. I personally think you could go w/ a tan/brown color or gray - either dark or light. Another option is a lighter blue coat (kind of blue/gray). A trainer who I admire a lot in our area wears one and it's gorgeous on her. Very retro.

Quote Originally Posted by chawley View Post
    I get bored w/ navy all the time too and like to mix it up. I personally think you could go w/ a tan/brown color or gray - either dark or light. Another option is a lighter blue coat (kind of blue/gray). A trainer who I admire a lot in our area wears one and it's gorgeous on her. Very retro.
    I love those lighter blue/greyish coats too! Very classsy!

To tell you the truth, I'm kind of scared of greens and browns! It seems like some people can pull them off and others can't and I don't want to be one of "the others"! lol I'm not going to completely stop wearing my navy jacket but I like the dark charcoal idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    To tell you the truth, I'm kind of scared of greens and browns! It seems like some people can pull them off and others can't and I don't want to be one of "the others"! lol I'm not going to completely stop wearing my navy jacket but I like the dark charcoal idea too.
    Be brave! When done correctly, browns, greens, and "other" more exciting colors look extremely classy!

I found these that I think would look nice:
    http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prod.php?p=D8747&k=149909
    http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prod.php?p=D8448&k=149909
    http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prod.php?p=D8450&k=149909

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    I get more compliments on my brown coat than any other color. And I think it's a color anyone can wear - it's the 'other' black!

Quote Originally Posted by chawley View Post
    I get more compliments on my brown coat than any other color. And I think it's a color anyone can wear - it's the 'other' black!
    Can you post a picture of your brown coat?

I have a brown coat and when I look at pictures of me in it vs. my navy coat, I don't like my brown coat. Part of the reason is I think I look plump in it. Ok, I can say it, I look fat in it.