I was told this morning to be careful, that an area I had rode through had poison ivy in it. I'm fortunate enough to be immune to poison ivy, so I never really paid much attention to identifying it. But now I'm a bit concerned. Are horses affected by it? And if so, what sort of signs should I look and treat for? Calamine lotion?
"Horses, cattle, sheep, and goats are rarely (if ever) affected, and I am not familiar with any reports in the literature of poison ivy affecting horses. A large number of birds and wildlife feed on poison ivy, and horses and livestock graze on it without problem." -Quote from a veterinarian on the Horse.com
I used to think I was immune to it, too. However, I have had some really nasty cases in the last few years. I think it may depend on whether the plant is crushed or broken, thereby releasing more oils??? I think I got careless about contact because I had never had it before. Yuck.