The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile WILLEM - it's been six years!

Today is the 6th anniversary of Willem's passing! No sadness, of course, it's been far too long and I'm all about happy. DGRH and I were talking about it the other day, and I said how amazing it is, the wonderful friends I've made over the years because of him and his presence on COTH, people who have become some of my very closest friends. It was a gracious gift to have that dear horse in my life, and for me he keeps on giving. So thank you guys, you rock!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I can't believe it's been six years. Both of you have helped so many others along the way.

It is pretty amazing too how the sadness does evolve into the deep, sweet joy.

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Big hugs. He was truly larger than life.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

He brought so much joy into so many lives. He will always live in our hearts.
    “When our dictator turns up you can depend on it that he will be one of the boys, and he will stand for everything traditionally American.” Dorothy Thompson 1935

Coreene, I can't believe it's been 6 years. I will raise my glass to him tonight. Slainte.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I can't believe it's been that long. I was a lurker back then...and lost my guy about a year later. I love Willem's stories and his personality that you really brought through with your writing. Best wishes to you on this day.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The first PM I ever sent was to you, Coreene, thanking your for sharing Willem's joy with us. I'll be drinking a toast to him tonight, too.
    Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and rapist of children! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Mypaintwattie and I were going to a show in Norco two weeks ago and drove past Hart on the way. He was bought out there a few days before he was to go off to slaughter. I have always wondered why he had a surgical scar on his left hind, and who had done such a great job training him, only to have him wind up in the killer pen. And who abused him. He had a great life with us. I think that they do understand when they have finally found their own apple tree at Birtwick.

I learned alot from Willem's passing due to laminitis/Cushings and spent alot on a book with his hoofprint - ummmm $350 I believe! That was one big horseshoe.

Glad there are happy thoughts now......and glad you have Mr. O!
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

I will give Mr. Ted extra peeps and hugs in Willem's honor today. Because Willem brought me to COTH, COTH gave me the education about horses in need, COTH brought me to so many people. So if you go back down the tree, it is thanks to Willem we have Special Horses.
    www.specialhorses.org

Six years?!? So much has happened since...

Thank you again for sharing him with us, Coreene.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Willem is greatly missed. I still find myself saying "Willemisms" to the horses. Thank you for sharing him with us.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
    Willem is greatly missed. I still find myself saying "Willemisms" to the horses. Thank you for sharing him with us.
    I realize this is probably asking a lot, but could anyone maybe give a quick rundown of the Willem story? I haven't been on COTH all that long but have seen his name come up from time to time... I feel like there's some huge historical figure whom I know nothing about.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I haff missed him these past sechs years. Willem vas de besten; Ich shall never forgotten him. Especially when I remember the posts where you poisoned his food, and he had to throw the bucket across his stall to remove the verboten poision! How dare you!

They will always be with us, dem ponies. Miene Rootbeer still lives mitt me, in miene memories. Sad, but sweet memories.

Loving them is the best we can do, and loving the memories keeps them alive.

Bless you for sharing Willem with us, Coreene!
    Last edited by Root Beer; Jul. 12, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
    On hoofbeats and heartbeats, your love came to me. With carrots and kisses, I now set you free.
    RIP, my beloved RootBeer (4/1973-8/2007)

cnvh - it is NOT asking a lot. Willem is a COTH institution, and was even COTH Horse of the Year. Go to the favorites, and read all the posts by Willem. That was my introduction to COTH: Willem's hallo from beyond the Rainbow Bridge. Of course, I then had to go back and read, knowing in advance that at some point he had crossed the bridge. I was in tears long before I got to that point. They are precious threads.

Go read them. Really. You won't be sorry.
    www.specialhorses.org

The Princess will have some extra diced celery (it's the closest thing to a celebratory feast for her ) today in Willem's honor. Some day, she will be his Hootchie Mama, and she will be able to eat whatever she wants.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

You were a great help to me when my pony was in the throes of Laminitis. Let's hope she and Willem are galloping madly around up there somewhere having a great time. Thanks, Coreene.

Holy moly, six years! Willem is an institution even for me, having started my lurkdom shortly thereafter. He was a very smart boy. There is a Willemism on my computer dektop right now, next to a picture of my good girl mutt who departed at the beginning of June- "This it be us." It takes a little 'splaining for people who read it, but that's OK.
    Thanks so much for sharing him with the world, Coreene! We all would have been poorer not having 'known' him.

Default Oh my,it seems like yesterday.

Coreene,we all owe you soo much for the joy,and tears and downright laughter that you and Williem shared with us.

Thank you for sharing all the" loff" with us.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Mein Gott, six years?

The Willem discourse on presents was - and is - priceless. Pure joy.

Happy Anniversary, Willem, and say "hello" to my own Jay Kay up there.