The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Overnight horse hotels?

For those of you who use overnight horse hotels, what kind of ameneties do you like to have available? What method do you use to find them? (directory of some kind? word of mouth?) How much do you pay for overnight stableing? What are your "must haves", "would like to haves" and any other pros and cons?

We overnight regularly on our way home from events in California.

The place we stop at has big airy stalls with pretty large paddocks. I like that because the horses have been cooped up in stalls for the duration of the event and they get to move around more. This place also has a spot that I can have power and water for my trailer. That is a big bonus for me.

The only thing that would make it better would be if they had grass turn out, but I know that is asking a lot!

And the place is clean, clean, clean! The gal that owns it is very nice and accommodating and she and her husband live on site.

Just my .02

After reading the other responses I thought I would add....

I found the place on www.horsemotel.com
    There is a "bunk room" you can rent that has three beds in it.
    Motels are about 10-15 minutes away.
    Stalls are about 14 x 14 and runs are at least triple that.
    There is a big field to park/turn rigs around in.
    I think this was their personal barn that they upgraded/cleaned/painted, so they didn't build the facility just for this purpose.
    I think there are 8 - 10 stalls in the barn.
    I pay $40 per horse.
    Last edited by CDE Driver; Jul. 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added more info.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

To find: I use the internet and recommendations from friends.

Amenities: place to turn out for a few hours, safe stalls, owner or manager on the site. And the most amazing amenity -- an apartment or room over the barn that can be rented out by the people!
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Safe large stalls and safely fenced paddocks for horses.

Hookups for trailers at least. A bed and breakfast is great too. I've been at a few that had rooms for travelers also.

A nice big area for turning around big rigs is a bonus.

One more question, how many stalls do those overnight places provide?
    I think it would be hard to schedule many overnighters with just a few stalls and having many empty stalls waiting to be filled ocassionally would also not be very profitable.

What do you consider large for stalls and paddocs?

What internet sites do you use? What is the average charge for overnighting?

I have used www.horsemotel.com to find overnight stabling. I've always paid cash and my most important requirements are a safe, bedded stall and good trailer turnaround!

A place to turnout is great as well. Nearby hotels are a plus.

How close do you like a hotel?
    Say, ten miles too far away?

I say the closer the better. I spent the night in Arkansas and stayed 400ft from the barn; it was awesome! The trip I did last week from Maryland to Kentucky the closest hotel was about 20 or so minutes from the barn but it was a pretty rural area.

For me it depends on the route I am taking and how rural the drive is. Sometimes there just may not be a super close option.

My mom and I recently horsemotel-ed-it from CA to NC also stayed at a friend's too.

All the horse motel places were good. pipe pens in the west, stalls or stalls w/ runs in the east.

Best amenities for people: RV/Trailer parking, rig maneuverablility, bathrooms (showers would have been a plus), available to leave early/ arrive late.

Best for the horse: separated from contacting other horses, pen or turnout to stretch legs, a place to hang your own buckets. Some listed that they had vets on call (phone numbers avail?) luckily we didn't need them.

Prices: $20-35/night

We also stopped at the fairgrounds in Memphis which had a lot of stalls. It was very easy, just call ahead and they leave your name on a stall with shavings just like for a show.

The places we stopped only had a few stalls available and were smaller private barns, not show barns-- the people were great! In Tennessee they directed us to a good restaurant and lake... in Oklahoma we saw the largest prarie dog colony
    "Bold Words was classier than all his competition. Straighter knees and a slim, elegant neck." -Nan Mooney My Racing Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    How close do you like a hotel?
    Say, ten miles too far away?
    That would be too far for me if I'm just driving through, but I'm not a hotel person for a horse trip.
    "Bold Words was classier than all his competition. Straighter knees and a slim, elegant neck." -Nan Mooney My Racing Heart

Anyone else? Good and bad experiences?

What does involve RV/Trailer parking?
    A water hydrant and some kind of electrical plug, I assume?

I was considering, when we cover our arena and have stalls along one side's overhang, with individual pens, if some kind of overnight service would work, since we are right by a main interestate.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I found all my overnight stabling on this site:

http://www.horsetrip.com/

I agree with the other posters, seperate stalls from the farm horses (safety for the farm horses also, in case the overnight horse is carrying something I would think). Small paddock for turnout.

Hotel no further than 5 miles if possible, if the closest ones are further than that, I would consider putting in either a guest cottage (you can buy them prefab) or RV hookups.

The one place that I really like to stay at, did put in a guest cottage, and the hotels are within 5 miles of the farm.

I also think the ones that get the most business are close to the major highways, so folks don't have to drive too far off the beaten path to get there.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I am pretty flexible. have stayed in a few to and fro from camping. I usually drive about 400-500 mi through before stopping for an overnight. A little less going there as want to get there with the horse a bit relaxed.

For me if there is a restroom , that is enough-often sleep in the gooseneck-i can sleep anywhere so unless it is too hot-it is fine. But the ones a little farther away, I find give a lot more amenities for the same price.

Plus facilities that have RV parking is like the best of both worlds. They have all the facilities for the RV crowd and usually let you use them-so a good shower and nice toilets and a store.

Last time I did it I searched online. I think I paid between $20 - $25 per night. As long as I have a 12 x 12 stall with clean and lots of shavings I am happy. Bigger stall would be a great plus. The last place I went to had paddocks and after being there if I ever do an overnight stay I will look for a place with a paddock. There was nothing better than unloading my horse, putting him in that paddock and watch him play, roll, roll, and did I mention roll? I was great for him to be able to strech after a long haul. The guy offered to bring him in later into a stall but, I opted to keep him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    What does involve RV/Trailer parking?
    A water hydrant and some kind of electrical plug, I assume?

I was considering, when we cover our arena and have stalls along one side's overhang, with individual pens, if some kind of overnight service would work, since we are right by a main interestate.
    I think RVs need a hookup and possibly a dump. Some RVers I think do it more a lifestyle where the RV becomes their home and travel around the country. I even met an RVer with a horse trailer attached. He travels the country with his horse. Stays in any RV park or a place with hookup and rides the trails. You meet some very interesting people. I am not an RVer so not sure how much market there is for just an overnight RV stop. there might be. But I wouldn't know.

Some places have horses and RV or bigger horse places and they have a cabin or some fancy old western thingie for rent. It works out cheaper than the motel and you are right there next or close to the horses. eg. this one I stayed in.
    http://www.blakeranchrv.com/

I don't know about other people but for overnight with my horse, I usually end up stopping at the middle of nowhere-depending on how far I am from home. But if you have a hookup for goosenecks and maybe a restroom-I think if you are in that route, that may attract at least the horse trailers. But I don't know your area and what kind of horse traffic and the weather etc..

Thank you, that place sure looks neat.
    I got plenty of ideas out of that one.