The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Pledge to not eat your horse ?

Uh, ok.

Just found this by coincidence.

Frankly, I am quite worried, in a weird way

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2009/06/146.shtml

I do agree with compulsory microchipping, but the pledge text... OK, I do hope that here will be never a day when I will not have a choice but who knows - anything can happen and there might be crisis like that... In theory, of course.

People were eating horses during the wars when no other food sources were available, and my mum still remember these times so it is not so far away and so impossible. Yes, horses who had been given certain medications do not need go for human food, but then it must be written in a proper way.

If I will NEED EAT my horse, then for sure I will not care what medications and when it had - I will have way much different problems then
    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Read the article.
    Well, that's one way to speed up Europe's version of NAIS: chip your horse or let it face slaughter if it is lost, stolen, etc. I assume they have chip scanners at all of the slaughter houses in Europe, yes? The Queen and Princess Anne may very well sign the pledge if it means providing better government tracking of Britain's animals, regardless of whether they are in the food chain, or not.

Ugh... compulsory chipping gets my hackles up. I don't disagree with chipping as a personal choice, but I don't want to be forced to chip my horse. I would far rather have them freeze-branded (as it is a much more visible marking). (And when we finally have a clinic near us that does freeze-branding, we'll get it done).

I'm tired of having my life micromanaged by other people.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Geez - didn't anybody read Stranger in a Strange Land? Eating someone after they die is the ultimate grok, right? The combining of bodies after the sharing of souls or something.
    Or, there's the Keith Richards way - he claimed at one point to have snorted his late father's ashes!

I'm joking here. Really. Don't flame me.

But then, what would I threaten him with when he's being a snot?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    But then, what would I threaten him with when he's being a snot?
    I threaten to sell mine to the Amish so that they know what it's really like to work for a living.

Count me among those that prefer freeze-branding - but apparently They have decided we must all be lemmings and that resistance is futile.

Default I pledge not to eat my horse

Because he's old and probably tough and gristly.

Because the best part, so I'm told, is the loins and my horse has no top-line right now. I'd save almost no money disposing of the rest of him. This is like the buffalo slaughtered when people only ate the tongue.

But if I were to eat him, I'd pledge to feed him pure corn for six month's prior to make him tasty and fine. He'd really, really like that.

He wouldn't dig the top-line improving workouts he'd have while he was in the feedlot, and it would be morally tough to do them, knowing my heinous motives

The whole thing is just as morbid as it is silly.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat