The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Be Careful What You Wish For!

COTH has been my 'bible' for awhile now....planning, plotting and researching all things pertinent to the fencing, 'barn' building (out building converted to a two stall 'barn') water lines, electrical work, arena sizes, fence selection, pasture seeding, etc, etc, etc!!!
    The 'farmette' will be on a small acreage outside of Williamsburg, VA.....my 'homeplace'...I won't be there full time yet, but the pasture/paddocks/barnette will be a visiting spot for my 'pony' when I can bring him along whenever I go 'home' for now. (Its about 2 hrs away)
    Nevertheless, the whole project has been in the 'planning' stage for quite a few years...many of those 'on the fence' not knowing if we should go ahead or not!
    It began, when I found such a beautiful State Park only two miles from the property...wonderful trails (!) and I started a quest to find some overnight accomodations in the area to be able to haul down and stay and ride the park. Of course, thats a rare thing to find...and it was in this case as well. After years of trying, we began planning our own (!) paddocks/run in, etc.
    Work has begun this past week. I think the fencing is going beautifully and I'm thrilled with the choices I've made, in both the installer and the product. Water lines were 'tapped' into today, and the little two stall barn will have its own hydrant, as will the other 'pasture' (paddock sized really) across the lane.
    Barn work will most likely not begin for a few weeks, once fencing is completed...and electrical will be even after that.
    Its certainly scarey, thrilling, stressful...all at the same time!
    But everything you've all shared, everything I've learned from and researched here is very much appreciated. Anything else (!) anyone cares to mention or suggest will be just as appreciated (!) and...anyone (!) who wants to meet up at York River State Park for trail riding this fall....let me know!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Isn't it nice when you can see the results of all the planning? Congrats!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Barn work will most likely not begin for a few weeks, once fencing is completed...and electrical will be even after that.
    Your barn builders will be happier if electric power is available when they start building. All they'll need is a power source, so contact the electric company and get a pole and meter up. Yes, the builders can use a portable generator, but it's much less convenient, slower, and in the long run, you'll be paying for the difficulties.

Congrats on getting started with your own place!

Thanks, Mike & M'sMom....
    I realize it would (!) be better for contractor to have the electrical..but thankfully, its also the fence guy, so he's aware of the situation for building! Its just gotta go that way for now. Speaking of...can anyone give me their experiences with building an outdoor washrack? Hadn't allowed in the plans for an indoor one...but may possibly put an outdoor one along an existing outside wall and want to get folk's ideas on drainage, etc.

Good grief...I guess the 'add on' list will never stop, will it?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett