The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iraluq Guest

Question In need of wide tall boots

Hello! I'm new to the forum, but not to the world of horses.

This fall I'm headed off to college! I'm going to try out for the equestrian team (IHSA) and I'm fairly confident I'll make the cut, but if I don't, I'll try out again in the spring after more training. I've never shown before; therefore, as I'm sure many of you are aware, it's time to write a huge check to the local tack store!

I've been doing loads of research to figure out what equipment I want/need to get for my show attire. I'm petty much set for most things. I've only had one problem finding something.

I need tall show boots. They can't have laces, and must be solid black. Other than that, I don't think there's any requirements. Of course, it's easy enough to find boots like that... until they need to fit my feet.

I need a [wide foot] with a regular calf size. They HAVE to be wide in the foot. Every time I search, I can only find tall boots that have a wide calf, which is not what I need. The only boots I've found that might work would be to get custom boots, and that runs $700+ I'm so not paying that much!

Does anyone know of a brand that makes wide (in the foot, not the calf) tall boots? If there isn't one that makes wide, can anyone think of a brand that tends to run a bit wider than others? If I can't find wide boots then I guess I'll [go up a half size] and wear them only while showing; then as soon as I'm off the horse I'll switch to comfortable shoes. I just worry that uncomfortable boots might affect my position. For most lessons I can probably just wear my wide paddock boots and half chaps.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

P.S. In case someone else is in need, TuffRider makes paddock boots in wide sizes, but for women only (sorry men and kiddos.) They make them in US sizes 6-11 (including half sizes.) I currently ride in "TuffRider Ladies Amazip Paddock Boots", and I've found them comfortable enough.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jul. 13, 2009 at 08:37 AM.

Find everyequine here--she can probably help you out!

If you are doing IHSA, you will need field boots (with laces) not dress boots (no laces). I would confirm that before you purchase or you will be wasting money.

As far as width, I have found the Mountain Horse boots to run on the wide side in the foot. My Effingham's run narrow, so avoid those.

I found Mountian Horse at Dover with a wide foot and regular calf. I can wear very thick wool socks without them being tight on my feet.

Default Mountain Horse

I have WIDE feet (4E width) and find I have plenty of room in my Mountain Horse boots.

Christa

Iraluq Guest

It sounds like Mountain Horse might work. I'll see if the local tack store carries them to try them for fit. Do all of their models run wide, or only certain ones?

I'm not going to buy anything until I'm on the team, that was I can be sure I need them and that I'm getting the right kind! I recall the coach saying "no laces" when I talked to her, but it might have been "yes laces" and I remembered it wrong; it wouldn't be the first time I made a mistake like that

Quote Originally Posted by lily04 View Post
    I found Mountian Horse at Dover with a wide foot and regular calf.
    I just looked on Dover and couldn't find the ones you were talking about. All of the "wide"s seemed to refer to the calf, not the foot. Could you possibly link to, or be more specific, on which boot you are talking about?

Thanks

I bought the Sportive High Riders 6 years ago. They say 9W but calf is defiantly not wide. Best bet is to try some on.

Default Another Mountain horse....

I wear 8.5W foot and have very large calves (Extra Wide ariat's didn't fit). I just bought the new Mountain Boots, in size 8 shoe - and my foot has TONS of room in them, length and width - I can wear regular or thick socks and still be comfortable. They are zippered back and field boots. The style I got was Richmond High riders LDS.

My next step was custom boots (lots$$$!).

Only thing I'm not crazy about is the long elastic gussets down the back, but for what I do right now, it's fine. Someday if I go to A rated shows, then maybe I'll look at a more expensive boot.

you can take the girl outta NY, but ya can't take NY outta the girl

Quote Originally Posted by zagafi View Post
    Find everyequine here--she can probably help you out!
    I'm here, and yes, I can help! PM me!
    to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
    Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
    EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

Men's boots are often wider in the foot. [edit] Since you're in MA, I'd head to Dover and have them help you. You can also scour eBay, never know what you may find there!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jul. 13, 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Iraluq Guest

Quote Originally Posted by InstigatorKate View Post
    Since you're in MA, I'd head to Dover and have them help you.
    I'm feeling a bit dull now, I never realized Dover had retail stores! I always thought it was just online... don't know why I thought that, but I did.

Well, we're heading to either (possibly both) the Boston or Providence areas sometime in the next couple weeks, so I can stop in then! Hopefully I can find a boot that fits. I'm still going to wait until I'm on the team to get them, but it will be nice to know exactly what I want when it comes time to order them

Thank you everyone.

You might also try the Dublins - they have a pretty wide foot and come in very wide calves, too.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I have Ariat Heritages, I believe. Anyway, I bought them used and they were SO TIGHT in the foot at my show, I came home with blisters everywhere. Well, I wore them to a couple lessons and they fit decently now. :]

I admire your financial restraint, wanting to wait until you're confirmed on the team or not, but if you find boots that are comfy enough, I would HIGHLY recommend buying them now, no matter what.

If you get on the team, you'll need them broken in before you start showing in them. Hell, you'll probably want to wear them to the try outs to show your professional work attitude!! I don't know your tall boot history, but it sounds like maybe you haven't worn them before. They are a very different feel from riding in chaps or even half-chaps. They are stiffer, slicker, and can be uncomfortable to break it. Once they are broken in, though, they are great! It just takes some time to get used to the new feel- especially the slick part!!! Especially in IHSA shows, when you're on a horse you've never ridden before, and can't warm up on, you don't want to both be adjusting to the boots and the horse. Same with tryouts- if you can ride with a good solid leg in boots, you'll look like an excellent candidate. I was the president of a team that competed- a girl who shows up in boots and breeches the first day (perhaps wearing a polo, belt, and hair in a hairnet) would definitely impress me. If she got on and actually rode at least decently, I would probably put her near the top of the list. Definitely above someone else at a similar riding ability, but wearing jeans and a tee shirt... maybe even above a slightly better rider, because appearance can speak volumes about attitude and work ethic.

If you don't get on the team first semester, I'm assuming you'll still be riding (how else will you improve, right?). You might as well ride in the boots. Not only will it give you even more time to break them in and adjust to riding in them, but it will show the coach you're serious and professional. Might help you get in second semester.

I just bought new tall boots (mountain horse, actually) for a show I may be doing at the end of the month. Between getting sick and work conflicts, I may no longer be doing it, but I'm still glad I have the boots! I plan on riding in them pretty much all the time, now, so I can break them in real good, and when I go to the show, I'll have one less thing to worry about worrying about!! Of course, I'll have to be a bit more careful, since I'll be using them all the time, but the benefits of riding in tall boots all the time when it comes to showing far outweigh the slight inconvenience of being careful with them around the barn/storing them so the don't get scratched.

Just my two cents, but I think most people who ride in tall boots (and show) would agree with this suggestion- especially if you're not a seasoned shower or tall boot wearer.

And, I just want to reiterate that field boots are what is correct in the H/J land. Dress boots are only used for dressage, IIRC. Good luck with everything!!

Yup. I agree on buying them before you try out. It takes a while to get the 'feel' of riding in tall boots. It sort of feels like your leg ends at your knee and the rest is a foreign object. I only wore mine ONCE before my show so I couldn't feel if my heel was down, or even where my leg was, which resulted in this. It could have been a lot worse, but I wasn't going to be winning any EQ classes.
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...7/144_5056.jpg

Iraluq Guest

You're right, I've never worn tall boots before. I've never shown, so that wasn't ever a real need for them.

I'll talk to my mom about getting them ahead of time and see what she thinks (I'll point out what was pointed out on here.) I'm going to send an email to the coach and double check with her for what kind of boots I should get. The school has an Equitation team and a Dressage team, so that might be why I'm getting the boots confused (that, and I've never shown before!)

I'm not sure I will get a chance to ride again (due to numerous circumstances) before I would need to try out for the team. If I don't get a chance to ride in the before the tryouts, I'll wear my paddock boots (I don't want to have my heels up!) but I will defiantly take you advice on the other stuff, and I'll show up looking as "professional" as I can

For breaking them in, would walking around in them help, or does only the riding in them really help?

OP: Sounds like you will be trying out for walk/trot? If so, I wouldn't be so worried about turnout for try-outs.

What school are you going to? Maybe there's someone else on here who will be trying out too :-)

Eq = field boots. Dressage = dress boots (no laces.)
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Here is a link to an old placement form (07-08 I believe). It changes every year but this will give you an idea which class you might be trying out for.

http://www.equestrian.org.vt.edu/IHS..._Placement.doc

Good luck with tryouts!

I don't know what your budget is, but I have found that Konig boots tend to run a bit roomier in the foot. I have the opposite problem as you-- I have narrow feet. I actually am really pleased with the Mountain Horse boots I bought and am selling my Konigs because they are not only too wide in the foot but I lost weight and they're too wide now too.

I would wait until you make the team and then see what suggestions the coach has for you in terms of clothing. Our team was VERY STRICT about what you could wear.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/