The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about Canada/horses

I am thinking of taking a trip to see Niagra Falls after picking up one of my kids in the Adirondaks. To our Canadian COTHers, can anyone tell me what Rt. 401 is like where it runs along the north side of Lake Ontario and if there are any horse-related attractions/shows/events in that area around the end of July?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    I am thinking of taking a trip to see Niagra Falls after picking up one of my kids in the Adirondaks. To our Canadian COTHers, can anyone tell me what Rt. 401 is like where it runs along the north side of Lake Ontario and if there are any horse-related attractions/shows/events in that area around the end of July?
    Thank you.
    Can't help, but I'll wave if I pass you (I'm going via Canada to drive between NE and Michigan on the 401.)

Highway 401 along the North Shore of Lake Ontario is a 4 lane freeway. Speed limit is 100 km/hr. Do get off the 401 to take the Thousand Island Parkway along the St. Lawrence for a bit of a break from the highway.

Not sure of any horse related activities down that way.
    I have no idea what kind of interests you have but I had a quick look.

http://www.pec.on.ca/trails/
    http://www.niagarariding.com/
    http://www.horseplayniagara.com/

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

I don't know much about the north side of Ontario and what might be going on there, but if you're near the Niagara Falls area, there's Niagara-on-the-lake, a very adorable and quaint little Victorian village, and tons of wineries around there. One of them, Henry of Pelham, offers "riding in the vineyard" events through a local stable, and the stable also does trail rides to the vineyard and back (including wine tasting). Here's the website: http://www.saturnstablesofstcatharin.../facility.html

I haven't been myself yet so I can't vouch for the facilities, but plan to go sometime... it's a nice winery, at least. (:

The best place for you to get an answer is to join and ask this question on the forum at www.equiman.com This is run by the people that run some of the shows (the hj) at the Caledon Equestrian Park.

I know that cornerstone has a national dressage show there next weekend.

Have a good visit to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Highway 401 along the North Shore of Lake Ontario is a 4 lane freeway. Speed limit is 100 km/hr. Do get off the 401 to take the Thousand Island Parkway along the St. Lawrence for a bit of a break from the highway.

Not sure of any horse related activities down that way.
    I have no idea what kind of interests you have but I had a quick look.

http://www.pec.on.ca/trails/
    http://www.niagarariding.com/
    http://www.horseplayniagara.com/

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
    Ummmm....
    Yes, the 401 is a four lane highway with a speed of 100 km per hour.
    However, Niagara is not anywhere near the 1000 Islands Bridge or the Parkway.
    And to get from Niagara to Eastern Ontario/Kingston you must travel through Toronto.
    The 401 through Toronto can be a nightmare. It has a gazillion lanes -express/collector- and nobody goes less than 110/120. Construction is ongoing.

I do agree that you could go on to equiman site and ask your questions.

www.qslb.ca has dressage info for Eastern Ontario - Kingston. We are hosting a National Dressage Show July 18.
    There is another National Dressage show on August 15th.

Quote: However, Niagara is not anywhere near the 1000 Islands Bridge or the Parkway.
    And to get from Niagara to Eastern Ontario/Kingston you must travel through Toronto.

If chai is going from the Adirondacks to Niagara Falls and asking about 401 north of Lake Ontario, she could very well be going by the Thousand Islands! And yes, you have to go through Toronto, but it does not have to be a nightmare. You stay in the express lanes anyway. And Toronto is not the worst place to drive...

Thank you, everyone. 401 sounds like quite the speedway, so I'm glad I asked. I will check out all the sites mentioned for horse information. Thanks again.

And if you do take the 401 through the thousand islands, would you please stop and check on my daughter LOL At least give her a hug for me.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

100 km/hr = 60 miles/hr

Yeah but going through Toronto on the 401 expect 140kms an hour in the fast lane (except during rush hour then it's just 40).
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Born in Toronto, and escaped as soon as I could.

The 401 from about Hamilton to Ajax is not a nice highway at the quietest of times. In Toronto there are places where there are 16 lanes with roads splitting off and over and under and things get very confusing and very fast- in some places the 100 kph speed limit is more like a suggestion than a rule, since the police are unlikely to be able to catch you across 8 lanes of traffic anyway. That is except in rush hour when the whole highway can be like the parking lot at Walmart.

Now, if you have driven along freeways in NYC or LA, this is unlikely to scare you.

Once out of Toronto, the highway turns south along the lake and is quite scenic to Niagara.

The winery trail ride sounds like heaven.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Where do you plan on crossing back into the US? There are currently some problems with the border crossing at Cornwall. You'd have to cross earlier, at Ivy Lea or Prescott. If you cross at Prescott/Ogdensburg, you might want to see the Remington Museum. Loads of horse paintings set in the Old West, famous bronzes, etc. http://www.fredericremington.org/
    If you want to take a chance on the Cornwall crossing being open, you might want to visit Upper Canada Village (it's on the Canadian side). Living history type village set in 1864. Canadien horses working, oxen, etc. A little on the pricy side, but interesting. http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/

Wink

First of all if you can take a visit to Niagara Falls please do so......it quite literally is beautiful and breathless to observe and truly one of the natural wonders of the world! Nothing on TV or in the movies can prepare you for the sheet size of this waterfall.

Hwy 401 across Toronto is considered the busiest highway in North America (yes it even beats your LA freeway for road size and sheer traffic volume) so if you are travelling through Toronto during rush hour you should expect it to be slow going. We do have a nice new toll highway however called Hwy 407 which travels just north of the 401 and misses most of the traffic congestion. A very, very nice drive from one side of Toronto (Whitby) to Hamilton where you would connect with the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) all the way to Niagara Falls, Buffalo NY etc.

As has already been stated the wine and fruit growing areas of Grimsby, St. Catharines and Niagara on the Lake are world acclaimed and well worth the visit with numerous wineries with oudoor patios etc. to visit. Nothing like Southern Ontario in the summer! There are many A circuit horse stables and riding farms all over the area....you can even take a horse drawn carriage ride right along side the Niagara Falls gorge along a lovely road on the Canadian side called the Niagara Parkway. The Canadian side of the falls is considered far nicer then the NY side as almost the entire length of the gorge is designated as park land and the picnic sites and open air concerts, fireworks etc are next to none. I am sure a quick search on the web under Niagara Falls Canada will give you lots and lots of ideas or as someone as mentioned just post on our Canadian site www.equiman.com and search there for some "horsey" ideas..... Enjoy your visit.

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    Born in Toronto, and escaped as soon as I could.

The 401 from about Hamilton to Ajax is not a nice highway at the quietest of times. In Toronto there are places where there are 16 lanes with roads splitting off and over and under and things get very confusing and very fast- in some places the 100 kph speed limit is more like a suggestion than a rule, since the police are unlikely to be able to catch you across 8 lanes of traffic anyway. That is except in rush hour when the whole highway can be like the parking lot at Walmart.

Now, if you have driven along freeways in NYC or LA, this is unlikely to scare you.

Once out of Toronto, the highway turns south along the lake and is quite scenic to Niagara.

The winery trail ride sounds like heaven.
    Not sure how long ago you escaped from TO, but as someone born and raised there, I can tell you that the 401 is nowhere near Hamilton or Niagra. You are probably thinking of the QEW.

And since the 401 runs along the north end of Toronto, watch out for moose!!
    You don't want to hit one that is trying to cross the highway.

[QUOTE=Ravencrest_Camp;4233071]Not sure how long ago you escaped from TO, but as someone born and raised there, I can tell you that the 401 is nowhere near Hamilton or Niagra. You are probably thinking of the QEW.
    [QUOTE]

oops my bad... and my escape was... ahem...a few years ago
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Funny. I drove from Guelph to TO and back at least three times a week and I never once saw a moose on the 401.

North 400 up towards Barrie and 401 and 7 further north east to Ottawa -- yah, moooooooooooose all over. Hurts when you hit those critters. They'll jackknife a full rig easy.

Standard speed limit for me on the 401 in TO was 100 mph and that was just trying to keep up with everyone else.

Been a few years, too. I left in '94.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Well, you know, you have to keep up the Thanksgiving legends with the meese!!! lol... don't worry, you will not encounter one on 401...

I truly hope all the comments did not scare you and that you will choose to travel through Canada. I do enjoy the Niagara Peninsula (a good 2 hr drive from where I live in mennonite country), but it is worth the drive... Niagara on the Lake is really quaint too.