The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Random question re: keeping stock tie clean

Anyone else out there have trouble with a dirty neck at shows? My neck gets incredibly dirty at shows, and it rubs off on my stock tie! I only have one tie, so is there anything I can do to keep it cleaner for all three days at a show?
    Designer Sport Ponies...never go out of style!
    **Breeding quality riding ponies for dressage and sport**
    www.designersportponies.com - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

No suggestions other than extra stock ties, wash the one you have out every night, possibly put powder on your neck before you put the stock tie on or ignore the "ring around the collar".

Also, using Spray'n'Wash for whites helps clean things up after the show! Same goes for white britches/pads/shirts etc.
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” ~Pam Brown

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

If you aren't allergic, Scotchguard the heck out of it after washing, before wearing. It will help a little to keep from attracting dust/dirt, but also will allow you to just wipe off grime with a baby wipe or such.

Do NOT use fabric softener when you wash. I don't know why, but a couple years ago someone told me that about my uniform. I have cats, dogs and horses, none of which are the same colour as my uniform. So I was forever picking up hair, lint, dust etc. If you avoid the fabric softener, for some reason it picks up less stuff. It DOES work.

Ditto powdering your neck--I'd try something like Gold Bond and/or something with cornstarch to help absorb the oil/sweat.

Avoid makeup at the neckline. Blend mid cheek (where you'd blend out your blush) rather than bringing it down and blending under jaw as you would normally. This makes a HUGE difference for me and my white tee shirts (under uniform). I don't wear much makeup in the summer anyway because I sweat, but the makeup seems to migrate to the white and the shirt collar--then attracts or holds dust or other dirt.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I absolutely detest having anything around my neck, particularly in the middle of summer, so, unless there is only a short time between tests, I always take mine off (I have a pretied one), roll it up so it doesn't wrinkle, and stuff it in my coat pocket. You could also use a baby wipe to clean off your neck (will also make you feel cooler) between tests.

Default Clean

It also helps if you spray "Simple Green" on it right before you wash it. I use it on everything. Helps getting spots out of saddle pads etc.

My solution, when a 2 day soak in oxyclean did not work, was to just make 2 more! Of course it helps to be able to have the pattern, fabric and machine on hand. They looked great and I was relieved to have the extra when it poured down rain and we were outdoors.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello