The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ohh CR@P! Do I need to be calling the vet???

So I get that dreaded phone call at 6am...

"Come down to the barn. Your horse is running around the barn and I don't know how long he's been out. I also can't catch him"

So I run out the door in my Pj's and head to the barn. Kiwi somehow broke out of his paddock. The BO let the dogs (aka nasty GSD's) out this morning at 4:30am and went back to bed. He heard them barking like crazy but then they stopped. He woke up at 6am to see Kiwi's face looking in his kitchen window and called me. I immediately thought I left the gate unlocked and kept thinking the whole way there. I get there and he broke through ALL 3 wood rails like they were toothpicks. These were brand new fence rails and not rotted at all. He was all over the property. You can tell by the foot prints and the rolling marks. He managed to scrap only his hind leg, but just fur is missing.

But...he had to have been eatting grass almost the whole time. He's not used to grass at all since he lives in a dry paddock with free choice hay. I know he was out at least an hour could have been more. There are definitely enought poop piles in his paddock to say he was in there a good portion of the night.

So, do I need to call the vet since he was eating so much grass???? Also he didn't finish his alflafa cubes breakfast. He left 75% but was eating hay when I left.
    Never a dull moment.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Default take him for a long walk

or ride him in the arena.
    vet won't be much help right now.
    chances are he'd be fine anyway but working him right now is the best way to ensure that all that grass he ate doesn't result in laminitis.

just to make you feel better, my mare also lives in a dry lot and last year a flakey barn help turned her out in a pasture overnight. she was fine.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

If has "free choice" hay, he wasn't eating grass "the whole time". He'd have had most of a belly full of hay when he escaped.

Casual nibbling while exploring is more likely. I wouldn't worry about it.

Nah, just keep an eye on him. He may have a bit of diarrhea later from the grass but more likely than not he'll be fine if it was just a few hrs at most. Keep an eye on him, check digital pulses if you're worried, and be thankful nothing worse happened.

I'd be more concerned about what freaked him out to the point that he broke through three rails of fencing. Was he being chased by those dogs ..etc? That would be my biggest concern.. not the grass.

I don't know what freaked Kiwi out. Definitely not the dogs. The dogs are confined inside invisible fence and can get no where near his paddock. Found out this morning that the dogs were barking because Kiwi was running through the "fenced in" area for the dogs. Thank god he didn't kick them.

He's been a little quiet this morning and a little gassy. I gave him some Ugard but I think he'll be okay. He did cut up his hind legs pretty good but nothing serious.
    Kristen

Can you add electric fence tape to the wooden fence so he won't get out again?

If my WB gelding had been in a dry lot with free choice hay, and escaped into the wild yonder of grass, there would be no nibbling and walking, no sight-seeing, he would be nose to the ground stuffing his face as fast as he could.

The good thing about Kiwi is that he's not food oriented. I highly doubt he was stuffing his face the entire time. The hoof prints actually lead into the woods but then he did trash the lawn. He even took a few rolls in the cemetary.

In the 8 years I've had him, he's never done anything like this! Besides he's 23 years old, he's supposed to be calming down not starting trouble. Now if this was my 4 year old mini, I'd expect this, but he was tucked away in his stall. Thank god, otherwise I'd definitely have a vet bill if the both were out.
    Kristen