The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Argentina Warmblood Brand Markings - Any Experts??

Anyone know anything about deciphering brands on an imported Argentine Warmblood?? If so, any information would be most appreciated. Left hip has two symbols, the upper looks like a "breed" marking, the lower maybe two letters that are joined - (they look like LT, with the bottom of the L connecting with the T). Behind, there are two numbers, one on other side of his tail.

Again, any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, Mercedes, our Argentine help just left for Costa Rico on her way home to Argentina.
    PM klc and see if Mercedes is stil there and if she can help you.
    Tell Mercedes her favorite wb Cloudy sent you.

btw she says she does not know the governor of SC.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Jul. 9, 2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo

PartyFavors395 Guest

We're trying to figure the same thing out with my horse. I was told that the number on the left side of the tail is the year of birth. I don't know what the number on the right side stands for.

The small saddle is the brand for "Silla Argentina" and the connecting letters indicate the breeding farm. My mare has H J interconnected for Henry Jota. One side of the tail is birth year and I'm wondering if the other side might be part of her registration number.

If anyone knows for sure, please post.

One of my stallions Fantasma, is originally from Argentina (although he is mainly Selle Francais breeding). He has a vertical number just left of his tail. On some this number indicates the year of birth, others the last four of their registration numbers, which they call a hip number. He also has the LT brand on his left hip, this is of course the Argentine brand. You can only see the LT when you look very closely with my guy. There is a lot of information about Argentine horses on www.Tatabra.com
    Dream Street Stallions Inc.
    'It Begins With a Dream'
    www.DreamStreetStallions.com
    Wellington, Florida

Wow - you guys are amazing.

Yes.... he has the small saddle brand that indicates selle francais. The LT - do I understand that to mean La Tatabra? or is it a generic Argentine brand? He has just single digit numbers, one on the right and one on the left of his tail. If the left is his year of birth.... do the match the last digit of the year or is there some code to it?

Thanks again.

I believe the little saddle brand indicates your horse has Silla Argentino papers. My mare's papers have the same saddle logo on them. The LT means your horse was bred by La Tatabra.

I'm still curious about the numbers by her tail. I will take a better look at them tomorrow and see if they match part of her registration number.

You might check with the owner of Tambo Poderoso on the AWR stallion roster. He is an Argentine import.

http://www.americanwarmblood.com/stallionroster.php
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Thanks for all your help!! I emailed La Tatabra Stud this am and within an hour got a lovely note from the breeder AND a copy of his original registration papers!!

It really never ceases to amaze me what the combination of the internet and the "kindness of strangers" (aka the people on this forum) can produce

Much Thanks again.

p.s. the left buttock number is the last digit of the year of birth.

Default right butt cheek

If you haven't already found out, I was told that it was the page # in the studbook for my gelding..... not sure if there is a registry book for mares.

here is the link for the argentine registry.
    http://www.aafomentoequino.com.ar/consulta.php
    their brand is a saddle & some have a number on the rear of the hip./

andresrosenberg Guest

Hi there,
    My name is Andres Rosenberg, from La Tatabra. If I can be of any assistance concerning markings and other from argentine horses, let me know. I´ll be glad to help. Concerning numbers, which all registered horses from the sporthorse association should have (silla argentino), on the left of the tail is the year of birth (8 is 1998, 2008, and so on). On the right side, the number of "private registration" from each breeder. Example, in La Tatabra, the first foal born this year will be 9/1, the second one 9/2 and so on. The number from the right side is privatey arranged....
    The breed marking is a saddle somewhere in the middle of the point of hip, buttock and stifle on the left side.
    The breeder markings are not compulsory. Some do, and some do not.
    Hope this helps!
    any questions andres@tatabra.com

Default La Tatabra horses

Quote Originally Posted by silversnaffle View Post
    Anyone know anything about deciphering brands on an imported Argentine Warmblood?? If so, any information would be most appreciated. Left hip has two symbols, the upper looks like a "breed" marking, the lower maybe two letters that are joined - (they look like LT, with the bottom of the L connecting with the T). Behind, there are two numbers, one on other side of his tail.

Again, any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Yes,the LT is La Tatabra farm
    The number on left side of tail is the year they are born
    The number on right side of tail is the dam of said horse
    The saddle brand is silla Argentina
    I have one of these wonderful horses and his registration papers showed all of this