The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to mount saddle plate on dressage saddles

Hi!

I ordered a really nice name plate from Dover like a year ago and never put in on my saddle because I have no idea how to do it properly!

Anyone know the best way to do it? I have a wintec isabell saddle, so it's synthetic.

Thanks so much!

I have no idea if you can attach it to a wintec. Usually, saddle plates come with two tiny screws, meant to screw directly into the wooden cantle of a standard tree. I don't know if I'd want to put holes in a synthetic saddle covering to admit the screws, even if they would screw into plastic. Leather is somewhat self healing when punctured, but synthetics tend to tear and crack around holes.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Don't mount it. I just bought a Sommer saddle and it had a huge name plate on the back which I promptly removed. The name plate (if mounted straight) will give away any crookedness that might creep into your riding.

Sorry....probably not the answer you were looking for in your post.

My saddler put the nameplate on my wintec pro. It is not something I would do myself (botched it up badly on a cheapo saddle once), so I would see if you have a tack shop that does leather repair help you out.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

You can use a really sharp and fine awl (woodworking tool) to start the point where you will put the nails (or small screws into the saddle tree). It's easier to keep the nails straight when you have a pre-started hole. I use a small, or jewelers, hammer to give the nails a wack! I also prefer small nails over the screws. I angle the nails slightly inwards to lock the plate into place. I have had more trouble getting those little screws in! You can by a box of tiny brass nails for a few bucks.

Good luck!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” ~Pam Brown

step one- take it to the tack shop
    step two- ask them to put it on
    step three- pay them and take your saddle home
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Quote Originally Posted by Quest52 View Post
    step one- take it to the tack shop
    step two- ask them to put it on
    step three- pay them and take your saddle home
    great answer!
    be kind to your horses mouth!

I had a name plate on my old wintec. I had a person at the store where I bought it put it on. He said wintecs are a pain, but it can be done.

Said nameplate fell out about 2 1/2 years later
    BDC

I waited till my saddle needed to be refitted and had the saddler put it on. Took him all of about 30 seconds and it was perfectly straight the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGelding View Post
    You can use a really sharp and fine awl (woodworking tool) to start the point where you will put the nails (or small screws into the saddle tree). It's easier to keep the nails straight when you have a pre-started hole. I use a small, or jewelers, hammer to give the nails a wack! I also prefer small nails over the screws. I angle the nails slightly inwards to lock the plate into place. I have had more trouble getting those little screws in! You can by a box of tiny brass nails for a few bucks.

Good luck!
    Above is how I how I have installed in with placing it with scotch tape prior to putting it on to ensure it is straight.

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineC View Post
    Don't mount it. I just bought a Sommer saddle and it had a huge name plate on the back which I promptly removed. The name plate (if mounted straight) will give away any crookedness that might creep into your riding.

Sorry....probably not the answer you were looking for in your post.
    That might be a good thing! Then I can work on fixing my crookedness!