The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Angry COTH diplomats - need help with barn notice letter! UPDATE - We got them out!

Dear, dear COTH diplomats - I am in desperate need. I must write a 30 day notice-to-move letter to my current BO, and need polite terms in which to couch it. I need your help because what I want to say, is "Dear XXXXX, I am moving my horses as of August XXX, because you've stolen all the extra money and hay I've brought them and are starving them. My horses' ribs didn't show when they came, and they do now, despite several hundred dollars' extra T/A hay that we delivered to you. Now you've upped the board, I'm paying you extra on top of that, and you still aren't delivering on your promises. You're a scum sucking slime that should never be allowed to own horses again."

I can't say that because my horses have to stay there for another three weeks, and will be moved before we take off on our long-awaited vacation, so I can enjoy it. And yes, I vetted the new place pretty thoroughly (even my farrier likes it)

Thoughts, please?
    Last edited by ESG; Jul. 11, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

If it were me....I would just say this is my 30 day notice I will be leaving on or before XX here is the board due and payable as agreed.

By all means save the war of words until AFTER you have safely moved your horses!!!

You can always move them prior to the date as long as they are paid up. Also I would not give them dime one extra.

I know you want to unload - I certainly would! But for the saftey and well being of your animals save it for later. And move them sooner than later.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

"Dear xyz,
    Pursuant to our boarding agreement, I write to advise you that Poopsie will be leaving on x date. Also pursuant to our agreement, I have paid/will pay one month's board from the date of this letter. I appreciate the care you have taken of Poopsie during our time here and wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
    xyz"

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I'd just say, "Dear BO: I am writing this letter to give my required 30 days notice. I intend to move my horses on [date]. I have found another barn that is closer/more convenient/has better access to trails/etc. [choose your preferred lie].

I'll be in touch within the next x days with details of when the horses will be moving.

Thank you for taking care of my horses for the past x years. [Don't choke while typing this].

All the best,

ESG

In this kind of a situation, least said is best said.

JMHO
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

"An exciting new opportunity has arrived in my life which necessitates moving my horses as of [whenever]. Please consider this my official thirty-days-notice as per our boarding contract termination protocol. Thank you. [signed] ESG

Dear BO ~

You suck...

Consider this my 30 days notice.

Love ~
    ESG

Oh wait...you said diplomatic...oops nevermind!

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    "An exciting new opportunity has arrived in my life which necessitates moving my horses as of [whenever]. Please consider this my official thirty-days-notice as per our boarding contract termination protocol. Thank you. [signed] ESG
    Oooooh - I LIKE this! Thanks, gab!

This is what I came up with:

Dear @@@H,

Please let this letter serve as our 30 day notice as required in your boarding contract, that we intend to move our horses "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' and "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" out of your facility on or before August XXXXXXXXXXX.

Due to circumstances beyond our contro, we are unable to continue to keep our horses with you. We will, of course, be happy to pay a pro-rated rate from the first to the ninth of August, in keeping with the tenents of your boarding contract.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

I love your letter and itsnotme2's. But I would go with greysandbays.

Also, I would consider it money well spent and leave after two weeks (pay the month) if not sooner, if possible, unless I could show up every day until they were moved to make sure they are being fed which is your first concern. It sounds like they are costing you money in the long run since you are buying feed and your horses aren't getting it. After my horses were safely moved I would not hesitate to tell the truth about what was going on to anybody who asked.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Do you have a boarding contract and if so, what is the notification requirement?

If there is none, you are under no obligation to inform the BO of the impending move. Just move on the last day your board is paid for.

If, OTOH, notice is required, then, if the stall at the new barn is already available, I would suggest that you move the horse on the day you deliver the letter. As long as you are paid in full for the remaining time, you have nothing to worry about. Further, given what you have described as the current situation, I would not want to leave my horse there for any amount of time after the notice is received by the BO. It will cost you some money, but all things considered, it will be money well spent.

As to the letter itself, I'd keep it as brief as possible. IE: Dear BO,
    My board is paid through xxxxxxxxx and pursuant to section X of the boarding contract, I am tendering my XX days notice that I will be moving my horse from your barn.

Sincerely,

ps: Send the letter/notice Certified Mail, and make sure you keep a copy for your records.

We are planning on leaving earlier,............like a lot earlier. Until then, I'll be out at different times daily to check on them. Leaving now, to go deliver the notice letter and to make sure my guys have the hay I'm paying through the nose for.

Dear Barn Owner-
    Thank you for taking such great care of Dobbin. Unfortunately, this letter is to serve as my 30 days notice. I have found a new farm that better meets my needs. I have enjoyed my time here. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

Depending on the availability at new farm, I may be leaving earlier and will let you know. However, I have enclosed a check to cover the next 30 days and will not expect any form of refund if we move early. I realize that you have planned feed, materials and labor already.

Thanks-
    ESG

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    Dear Barn Owner-
    Thank you for taking such great care of Dobbin. Unfortunately, this letter is to serve as my 30 days notice. I have found a new farm that better meets my needs. I have enjoyed my time here. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.
    Thanks-
    ESG
    Always catch more flies with honey than vinegar! I would stick pins in my BO/BM voodoo doll after my horse has left their premises.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

And as you leave, if you want to be a little pissy (and the circumstances are such that this would be the case), you can say, "According to my calculations, there should be about x-number bales of hay left that I paid for. Would you prefer to purchase these from me, or should I send a truck to pick them up?"

And as you leave, if you want to be a little pissy (and the circumstances are such that this would be the case), you can say, "According to my calculations, there should be about x-number bales of hay left that I paid for. Would you prefer to purchase these from me, or should I send a truck to pick them up?"
    OOOH --- I like this!

And I wouldn't lie and tell them "thank you for taking great care of my horses." I simple thank you and I'm leaving seems sufficient.

No excuse or reason needed for 30 day notice letters. Just say, this letter is my thirty day notice. Then check on horses often and be prepared to leave early.

After consulting with Mr. ESG, we've decided to take Rick's advice and leave ASAP. Horses will be moved this weekend, and we'll give BO notice letter and pro-rated payment for said notice, as we're driving out. And we'll also do the certified copy thing on the notice letter, as well as a notation on the check memo section that says "final payment". That should put paid to the situation, I think?

Thanks for all the input, and do keep the ideas coming. I may want to embellish the notice letter a bit more.

Dear BO.

Circumstances have changed and we will be moving our horse(s) to another barn.

We will be providing you with payment thru Aug xxth as per our contract but anticipate physically moving the horse(s) earlier. We will advise you of that date.

Thats all you need to do...but go hitch up if it hits the fan. And the sooner, the better.

BTW...many states consider this a month to month type tenancy and most require 30 days to terminate. If the care was substandard or you consider they violated the lease prior to that, you need to have documentation including proof that you notfied the BO/BM and gave them a chance to remedy the situation.

Just be careful and do not assume anything without checking with what your state requires and how these things are typically handled. 30 days is always safe, usually reasonable. Just leave as soon after you give notice as possible if there are issues with barn management.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

ESG, sorry you are going through that. Just the other day I had read a post where you had thought that you had found a really great situation and I was pleased in your 1st venture for a long time in not having your guys at home that it had worked out so well. That really sucks that the guy is ripping you off. How awful that they have gone to ribby with all the extra hay you are paying!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    OOOH --- I like this!

And I wouldn't lie and tell them "thank you for taking great care of my horses." I simple thank you and I'm leaving seems sufficient.
    I agree.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I would add the following:

An exciting new opportunity has arrived in my life which necessitates moving my horses as of [whenever]. I wouldn't think twice about recommending your facility [double entendre: of course you wouldn't--the place sucks!]. Bless your heart [in the nice southern drawl way which is nice for "you suck"] for all the care you have given my horses. Please consider this my official thirty-days-notice as per our boarding contract termination protocol. Thank you.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.