The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default our farm on the evening news

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...=92686&catid=2

just very cool....even my mama was impressed...
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

congratulations on making the press! The farmer who leases our land hasn't even done a first cut on a lot of fields yet, so you have my sympathy! I'm guessing hay prices will be high this winter, though.

First: Congrats on the news story! Just wish it was better news than the wet weather screwing up the hay.

Second: Your husband is adorable.

Third: Wow, you guys are just starting first cut there??? It's been wet as heck here too...I think we're somewhere around 29 out of the last 35 days rained. Out of those 29 days of rain, a good 20 of them was pouring storms and not just rain. Everything is soaked. All the hay fields I drive by have first cut still standing and basically crap now. And if the guys haying those fields don't get out there and mow that down, no second cut either. Probably not now anyways, second cut would be starting here now too. And we only get two fulls cuts...some very well managed growers can sneak in a partial skimpy third cut, but not many.
    My hay guy got his own first cut in this last week, I don't know anyone here who hays full time so he takes time off from work if the weather is dry. Last Sat and Sun was dry, sunny and breezy/windy. Same continued for Monday, he got his own first cut in and a couple other fields I think done. But he was getting calls left and right from the people he hays for...people with thier own acreage and no equipment that normally he goes and hays their fields for them and takes a small amount to sell in payment for haying. Those folks were pissed he wasn't getting to their fields this past weekend, but I'm glad he got his own done because my hay comes from his hay. He had a few helpers, they worked almost around the clock those three days and I was busy cooking and shuttling food over and walking out to the fields so they coould eat on the machines without stopping. Gotta make hay when the sun shines!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Second: Your husband is adorable.
    yes...he can be

then there's those "other" days

best
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Misty - I've been thinking that too about hay around here, and wondering when in the world people are going to be able to cut, let alone DRY. I passed a field that had been cut the other day, and of course it was all lying there rotting. Not good!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Nice story-- better journalism than the typical puff piece we see around here.

Second that the hubs is cute. Understand the notion of "some days"

We're cutting this week, about average for us, but crossing our fingers for dry weather. Some will be baled & put up this afternoon...wish us luck!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Nice story. Same type of weather here but I'm glad it finally dried up.

Good luck with the corn maze and pumpkin patch. A dairy farm up the road does something similar and it seems to be quite popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...=92686&catid=2

just very cool....even my mama was impressed...

Guin...all I know is that there will be a lot of people without hay this year/coming winter. The bigger suppliers who bring it in from out of state will price gouge. It won't be a fun winter...and I shudder to think with this economy what will happen with horses when we hit fall and there's either no hay or only really expensive hay.

Tamara...I can understand the "sometimes adorable" thing. My husband is a cutie but that doesn't mean there aren't time my trigger finger itches.
    Corn mazes and pumpkin patches are ridiculously popular around here. The closest one to me, Lyman Orchards, is jam-packed the entire fall. Lines of cars waiting to get in...they make a fortune on it. The also offer pony rides for the kids on the weekends in fall, another huge draw.
    Of course they have the added draw of baking the world's best pies and sell a buttload of produce too. But they've mentioned the bulk of their annual profits are from picking your own pumpkins and the corn maze.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Funny how just a few hundred miles can make the difference.

We had a stretch of four dry days at the end of May, so the farm manager (with the help of a neighbor) got the field cut, tettered and baled.... just in time.

But since the first of June, we've been dry, dry, dry. A shower or two here and there but not enough to do very much.. Too hit and miss. Pastures are crunchy again
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Tamara...I can understand the "sometimes adorable" thing. My husband is a cutie but that doesn't mean there aren't time my trigger finger itches.

the saying here is

"Divorce? never...Murder...twice a week"

I am personally not looking forward to any corn maze or other "tourist" enterprises....I was not at the meeting however....