The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Fair Hill Prelim course?

I looked at pix from the August trial there last year and it seemed fair.

Thoughts from people who have been?
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Not a move up course IMO
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I rode it last year. I have personal reasons for disliking Fair Hill, but I don't think it's a particularly hard Preliminary XC. That being said, the ground is often quite hard there, and I thought their SJ was a bit challenging. On XC, first half is pretty small, middle has some decent sized jumps, and then the end isn't huge. First four fences are galloping table/roll top type things, the corner is set on a line, so the jump in over a table sets you up. Rolltop or oxer and then jump through the quarry/downbank combination. Couple of gallop jumps, bigish ditch and wall, the bottom loop with another corner (off a turn), then up to the water which I recall as being a bit trappy and not very invitng, but not particularly technical. Over to the coffin which has terrain but is fairly inviting. Unless they've changed it up quite a bit, I don't recall that there were many combinations on it.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Someone is feeling awfully ambitious lately.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The Aug. course is usually the easiest course for the Fair Hill events (April is a very different story). I've always considered it a fairly straight forward Prelim and wouldn't have any issues moving a horse up at it (assuming they were well prepared). I like the flow of the land and have typically been able to get a good gallop rhythm going on their courses...but the footing at the Aug. event can be very hard as are many of the summer events. I have been there in Aug. when it rained...and the footing was perfect...but unfortunately, no way to predict if that will happen again!

I was hoping to be there this year with a Prelim horse....but they are now limping so I think we are out for a while.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Someone is feeling awfully ambitious lately.
    Just asking......
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Hard ground but not a hard Prelim course. Hasn't changed much, if at all.
    Last edited by blazing saddles; Jul. 10, 2009 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks--very helpful!

Recommedations on a close/cheap place to stay?

The Motel 6 is fine. Not fancy, but fine for a night or so and they allow dogs. Many folks stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    The Motel 6 is fine. Not fancy, but fine for a night or so and they allow dogs. Many folks stay there.
    Gracias.
    Doggies will stay home.
    You and Al going up?

If you want to be very cheap...it is a good place to camp. The bathrooms have showers.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    If you want to be very cheap...it is a good place to camp. The bathrooms have showers.
    Ummm, in August? Nahhh.

Plus I have a friend who very kindly offered to come with me, so I need to be nice in return and get a hotel room. heh.

The Best Western is a super super nice hotel to stay at - that's just a 10min drive. There is also a Holiday Inn express which is nice too.. but the BW is my fav.

Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!